Making Windows 8 UI feel and behave like Windows 7

emerglines

Seeing as Windows 8 is required for Direct X 11.1, which upcoming game titles such as Battlefield 4 can take advantage of, there is greater incentive for users to begin migrating to Windows 8. Users might also want to take advantage of the numerous improvements Windows 8 brings to the table, such as snappier boot times.

With that in mind, I have created this quick guide for making the UI in Windows 8 look and behave like Windows 7 to make the transition painless.

I have detailed the steps I took to make my Windows 8 laptop emulate Windows 7. With these changes, I don't even notice it feels just like Windows 7 for everyday tasks.

vxhw.jpg

1) Download and install ClassicShell
Link: http://www.classicshell.net/

This step is pretty straightforward. Download and install ClassicShell and select the "Windows Vista/7" start menu style after installation. ClassicShell should automatically bypass the Metro start screen at startup. To verify that this setting is enabled, under the "Classic Start Settings" application, navigate to the "Windows 8 Settings" tab and make sure the option for skipping the Metro screen is checked. You can disable the Windows 8 active corners in this tab to prevent accidentally triggering the Metro screen while in desktop mode.

2) Restore the Windows 7 Orb
Link: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/download/file.php?id=65&sid=b0b606f9b26fe350b1c16cd25b6e8f3e

The next step is to restore the Windows 7 start menu orb. After downloading the file, open the Classic Start Settings application and navigate to the "Start Button" tab. Under the settings for "Button Look", select the option for using a custom button. Under the setting for "Button Image", enter the destination path for the Windows 7 Start Orb file you downloaded.

3) Remove the Ribbon from explorer
Link: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/download/Ribbon-Disabler-for-Windows-8,0301-50003.html

Now to remove that annoying ribbon. Download the ribbon disabler application and run the program. You will have to restart your computer afterwards for the changes in your UI to appear.

4) Install Windows 7 theme UI
Link: http://www.uxstyle.com/

And now we move on to removing the flat color/UI scheme and replacing it with an Aero UI theme pack. First download and install the UXstyle. This application will allow you to install custom UI themes in Windows 8.

Link: http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Vs-REV-D-350491112

Secondly, install the Windows 7 Aero theme from the link above. Copy the contents of the "Themes folder" from the zip file to the following directory: C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Finally, right click anywhere on your desktop and enter the "Personalization" menu. A host of new themes should now be visible under the category titled "Installed Themes". You can select either "Aero 8 Rounded (Default)" or "Aero 8 Square (Default)" depending on your preference.

5) Restore Aero transparency (Optional)*

Link:http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.204

Download and install WinAeroGlass to restore the transparent windows and borders found in Windows Vista and 7.

*I list this as optional because the application has some bugs. Use at your own risk. Personally, I don't use this feature because it does not always work with all applications.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt

• emerglines

• mara-

• DKT27

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

and who want to feel it like old windows? Windows 8 should look like Windows 8. goodbye all old OS.

and who want to feel it like old windows? Windows 8 should look like Windows 8. goodbye all old OS.

Lol! i'm a Linux user, still i use windows 7 to, if i will say hating sentence i will say fuck windows 8 for dumb people, sorry if i still saying it!

LOL again! Windows 8 interface looks 10 years older then Windows 7. It's pathetic.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

Lol! i'm a Linux user, still i use windows 7 to, if i will say hating sentence i will say fuck windows 8 for dumb people, sorry if i still saying it!

I do use Linux too, and I didn't said anything about who using windows 7 or called them anything, you've to apologize for all members on this forum who using windows 8.

Edited by Bryan

• Administrator

LOL again! Windows 8 interface looks 10 years older then Windows 7. It's pathetic.

Cheers ;)

This's your opinion and I do respect it and others like you have different opinion too and you should respect that. :)

• Administrator

Cheers ;)

I've noticed one thing though. WindowBlinds does bring the looks back that of Windows 7, to like, lets say 80% of it.

Having said, it still doesn't bring the feel of Windows 7.

I'm sat on windows 8 - all I bought back is the start menu - everything else seems fine, the new menus and stuff take all of 5 minutes to get used to.

Classic Shell is usually enough to fix things

Without exception every person i know who has been unlucky enough to buy a new PC has complained about the Windows 8 interface and ends up on Classic Shell. One lady i know went from Windows XP on her old laptop to Windows 8 when she bought a new one finally (id warned her about 8 months earlier it was time to buy a new laptop as her old one was on its way out and Windows 7 was still being preinstalled on new PC's), she spent 30 frustrating minutes in my presence trying to figure out the new interface before she begged me to "fix it" so she could get her work done....installed Classic Shell (Windows 7 layout) and havent heard from her in 6 months....

Edited by stylemessiah