Creating an IPsec VPN connection on Vista, Win 7 and Win 8

emerglines

1_1.jpg

Windows 8.x

In Windows 8.x, to create a VPN Connection to the IU network:

1. From Desktop view, in the notification area, right-click the network connection icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center. Then, Set up a new connection or network.

2. Select Connect to a workplace, and then click Next.

3. If prompted with "Do you want to use a connection that you already have?", select No, create a new connection, and then click Next. Select Use my Internet Connection (VPN).

If you are prompted instead to choose between Use my Internet Connection (VPN) and Dial directly, select Use My Internet Connection (VPN).

4. In the "Internet Address:" field:
    • For IUB, type ipsec.indiana.edu .
    • For IUPUI, type ipsec.iupui.edu .
  5. In the "Destination Name:" field, type a name for the connection (e.g., IU VPN ), and then click Create.

6. In the notification area, click the network connection icon. In the "Connections" category, right-click the IU VPN entry, and then select View Connection Properties.

7. On the Security tab, use the "Type of VPN" drop-down to select Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol With IPSec (L2TP/IPsec).

8. Click Advanced Settings.

9. Select Use pre-shared key for authentication. In the "Key:" field, type hermanbwells, and then click OK.

10. Under "Authentication", select Allow These Protocols. Make sure Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2) is selected.

11. Click OK to close the Properties window.
Windows 7 or Vista

In Windows 7 or Vista, to create a VPN connection to the IU network:

1. In Windows 7, from the notification area, click the network connection icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center. Then, select Set up a connection or network.

In Vista, from the Start menu, select Connect To, and then click Set up a connection or network.

2. Select Connect to a workplace, and then click Next.

3. If prompted with "Do you want to use a connection that you already have?", select No, create a new connection, and then click Next. Select Use my Internet Connection (VPN).

If you are prompted instead to choose between Use my Internet Connection (VPN) and Dial directly, select Use My Internet Connection (VPN).

4. In the "Internet Address:" field:
    • For IUB, type ipsec.indiana.edu .
    • For IUPUI, type ipsec.iupui.edu .
  5. In the "Destination Name:" field, type a name for the connection (e.g., IU VPN ).

6. Check Don't connect now; just set it up so I can connect later, and then click Next.

7. In the "User Name:" and "Password:" fields, type your IU username and passphrase. If you want the connection to remember your passphrase, check Remember this password.

8. In the "Domain (optional):" field, type ADS .

9. Click Create, and then Close.

10. In Windows 7, from the notification area, click the network connection icon.

In Vista, from the Start menu, select Control Panel. If you are not already in Classic View, in the left pane, click Classic View.

11. Open Network and Sharing Center.

12. In Windows 7, on the left, click Change adapter settings.

In Vista, on the left, click Manage network connections.

13. Right-click the VPN connection you just created, and then choose Properties.

14. Click the Security tab. In Vista, click Advanced, and then click Settings... .

15. Make sure only MS-CHAP-V2 is checked. In Vista, click OK.

16. In Windows 7, remain on the Security tab; in Vista, click the Networking tab.

17. Under "Type of VPN", select L2TP IPsec VPN.

Note: In Windows 7, this option is called Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPsec).

18. Click Advanced settings (Windows 7) or IPsec Settings (Vista).

19. Select Use pre-shared key for authentication. In the "Key:" field, type hermanbwells, and then click OK.

20. Click OK again to close the Properties window.

• Replies 1
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emerglines

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bookmarked could come in handy thank you!

With pleasure bro, Nsaners are my family :)