How to Clean the Notification Area Icon Cache in Windows 7, Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

geeteam

-- Clean the Notification Area Icon Cache --

After using Windows for a while, installing and uninstalling programs, you will end up with a long list of icons showing up in the notification area, on the taskbar, especially when scrolling through the Notification Area Icons window.

If some of the programs have been removed, there is no way to remove their icons from the list. So, what do you do? Read on and learn the best way to solve this problem.

Download Notification_Area_Cleaner below, extract it and inside you will find the Notification_Area_Cleaner.bat file.

Double click the file and Run.

explorer.exe is restarted, and the notification area icon cache is cleared.

ENJOY!

source

Notification_Area_Cleaner.zip

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• clubhouse

• geeteam

• tezza

• jimbojet2011

Top Posters In This Topic

CCleaner :D

didn't think of that... no worries...

Useful for people who don't use ccleaner.....Amazing what you find thinking outside of the box :=D

You must have a really untidy notification area :lol:, if you have never thought "outside the box" and done a google search for this, since XP days.

Useful for people who don't use ccleaner.....Amazing what you find thinking outside of the box :=D

You must have a really untidy notification area :lol:, if you have never thought "outside the box" and done a google search for this, since XP days.

I posted this because someone was looking for a way to do this... so i search through the forums but didn't find any... so i had to post this... at least show appreciations guys...

@gee

I have no problems with anyone posting anything to help someone :), i simply posted CCleaner as an alternative if using it.

Edited by tezza

Nope, do you believe everyone uses ccleaner.....I have news for you....There are other options....Wise up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Further, I have both ccleaner AND a similar tool to the one gee has posted, I just didn't feel the need to state the fcuking obvious as you did

Edited by clubhouse

Nope, do you believe everyone uses ccleaner.....I have news for you....There are other options....Wise up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course not :) , i simply meant that reg, bat scripts have been available since XP to clean the notification area, if this particularly bothers you, at least now you can clean yours :lol:

jimbojet2011

-- Clean the Notification Area Icon Cache --

After using Windows for a while, installing and uninstalling programs, you will end up with a long list of icons showing up in the notification area, on the taskbar, especially when scrolling through the Notification Area Icons window.

If some of the programs have been removed, there is no way to remove their icons from the list. So, what do you do? Read on and learn the best way to solve this problem.

Download Notification_Area_Cleaner below, extract it and inside you will find the Notification_Area_Cleaner.bat file.

Double click the file and Run.

explorer.exe is restarted, and the notification area icon cache is cleared.

ENJOY!

source

I had a reg file but this one is better

;-)

Of course not :) , i simply meant that reg, bat scripts have been available since XP to clean the notification area, if this particularly bothers you, at least now you can clean yours :lol:

You're a waste of breath!.....Done with this...Grow up kid!

You're a waste of breath!.....Done with this...Grow up kid!

ccleaner :D :D

well i thank those who at least appreciate my efforts and those you don't... i thank you.. at least you keep me getting stronger and stronger... and i know someone somewhere might find this useful

• 2 weeks later...

Not everybody wants to run ccleaner for such a trivial task or even cares/understands about its configuration (my girl friend e.g.), so giving those people a nice simple bat file does the job and frees you from explaining for hours how ccleaner works B)