Chrome's redesigned tab page annoys some users

nsane.forums

PJHLvnm.jpg

Google last week started rolling out a redesigned new tab page for Chrome, making good on a promise from last month when it offered the revamp to users running rougher-edged versions of its browser.

Most users gave the new look a failing grade. "Fail, fail, fail," said Philip Wright, one of those who commented on the announcement.

Google characterized the addition as a way to speed up search.

"We're rolling out a feature that can make searching faster and simpler with a streamlined New Tab page," said the Chrome team on its Google+ page. "If you use Google as your default search engine, the next time you open a new tab in Chrome the search bar will be front and center ... [and] you'll also be able to check out current Google Doodles."

The new tab page appears when users press Ctrl-T (Windows) or Command-T (OS X) in Chrome. All browsers offer a similar new tab page that, at a minimum, shows thumbnails of the user's most visited websites. The feature, which debuted on Opera, has been copied by all its rivals, including Chrome, Microsoft's Internet Explorer, Mozilla's Firefox, and Apple's Safari.

Firefox was the last to acquire a graphical new tab page when in June 2012 Mozilla released Firefox 13.

Chrome's new tab page redesign sports a prominent Google search field as the only real difference between it and its predecessor. The page still displays eight thumbnails of the user's most-called-on sites.

But Chrome users just didn't get it.

"If you're on Chrome, why wouldn't you just use the omnibar?" asked commenter Neil Slater, using an alternate name for "omnibox," Google's label for the combined search-address bar at the top of the browser window. "To use this new search box it takes an extra mouse click to put the cursor into the box. The cursor's already by default in the omnibar on opening a new tab."

Many commenters dismissed the change as useless, with some asking how to revert to the previous design. Others were dismayed that Google moved the Chrome Apps button—which calls up a display of the browser's installed Web apps—to the bookmark bar.

Accustomed to gripes

Google has faced resistance from Chrome users before when it has proposed redesigns of the new tab page. In April, Google backtracked from a refreshed new tab page that had reduced the number of thumbnails from eight to four, inserted a large Google search box, shifted the Web apps view to a button, and dumped other features, including the ability to view recently closed tabs, from the page.

Most of those changes, however, were implemented in the final new tab page that began reaching users Tuesday. The most visible that did not was the four-thumbnail view.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chlorophyll

• nsane.forums

• Avitar

• MidnightDistortions

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the internet talking about? I kinda like it... except that google put it's own search engine on the page. What if my default is bing or yahoo or duckduckgo? I think the new tab page should include the default search provider, not just google... I stopped googling stuff a while back after the CEO said we had "no legitimate expectation of privacy." Sure yahoo is more criminal than google, i don't even know to what extent bing does.. but if one corporation has your data.. might as well stick with them.

people do not like change???

no matter what generation!... i am using chrome... and i find anything they do "new' is not all that bad to use and if it is ...just using it for a day or two and you get used to it and can live with it... i bet most of the people whining are still upset microsoft made windows95

Actually it does annoying me a bit because I already set my default search engine to google. I do not know why they put another search bar on the tab page. However, if I set the default search engine to yahoo, that google search engine on the tab page is gone. Isn't should be the other way around?

Edited by bbmak

even they spoiled playstore page few months back.we cant see any new update info in new playstore page.donno y they doing these blunders..

• Administrator

even they spoiled playstore page few months back.we cant see any new update info in new playstore page.donno y they doing these blunders..

Google Play Store? Just scroll on the app page, there is a section which shows What's New and Additional information.

Google Play Store? Just scroll on the app page, there is a section which shows What's New and Additional information.

i dont mean wat u said.we used to see updates for apps on playsote installed on our device ..now thats not possible.

unknownasphyxiated

i dont mean wat u said.we used to see updates for apps on playsote installed on our device ..now thats not possible.

:wtf:

MidnightDistortions

I don't mind the tab page, it looks fine to me.. but i don't like the Apps button in the left corner, i have all my favorites/folders in that place, not a huge deal but i wish it was on the other side or within the customization button.