Installing two operting systems on one hard drive

Guest Flametonguex

Guest Flametonguex

Currently i have windows xp on my hd. I want to also install solaris 10. How would i got about doing this. I heard that i need to partition my disk so i can either boot xp or solaris. Could someone explain to me how to do this?

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

May i reccomend a Linux distrubution opposed to Solaris? Suse/ Mandrake Linux are easy to setup and use.

The easiest way to partition your disk is via partition manager, resize your windows partition and create an additional parition (10GB is more than enough if the other operating system is gonna be used only occasionally).

Guest Flametonguex

Are those ones free cos i found solaris is plus i have used it before so know the basic stuff about it. What is this about partition manager. When do you use it. Is it when u are installing windows at the very beginning were it talks about partition and formatting?

• Administrator

Linux distrubutions are free.

Well if you want to reinstall windows you can set up partitions while installing that.

Ok If I were you, I would download a free Ubuntu iso

http://www.ubuntu.com. This distro works great, but to go to your problem:

I would reccommend PowerQuest Partition Magic (win program) and crack it(otherwise, you cant use it).

Step 1:

Resize your current Windows Install.

There are lots of "wizards" in PM, so you can do that by either press the resize button, or using the resize wizard.

REBOOT WINDOWS BEFORE GOING ON

Step 2:

Get your Linux CD in the CD Drive and power up your PC.

Follow the steps and use MANUAL PARTITIONING, and select the "not partitionned space" on your HD.

• Administrator

Ubuntu's main install manager is APT(yeh i know you can get Synaptic), a terminal based packaged, Suse's on the other hand is YAST a X based application. Many other things in Ubuntu need terminal where as Suse has GUI applications. Ubuntu is a nice distro, dont get me wrong, however it isnt perhaps the best distro for new users.

Archived