Microsoft Admits That Security Essentials Is Just a Basic Anti-Virus Product

Matsuda

microsoft-security-essentials.jpg

Microsoft has aggressively promoted Security Essentials until not a long time ago, saying that it provides at least similar protection as any other anti-virus product, including rival software from Kaspersky, ESET, Symantec, or Bitdefender.

Holly Stewart, senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, admitted in an interview with Dennis Technology Labs, a company that performs anti-virus tests on a regular basis, that Security Essentials is indeed designed to remain “at the bottom” of all rankings, so users should really install third-party protection.

The surprising statements are actually supposed to show that Microsoft is trying to work with partners and security companies across the world as much as possible, with Security Essentials holding a key role in this collaboration.

The tech giant is keeping Security Essentials fully updated in order to provide the protection users need, so any other piece of software that achieves better results than this one is clearly capable of providing advanced security features.

"We had an epiphany a few years ago, back in 2011, where we realised we had a greater calling and that was to protect all Microsoft customers," Steward was quoted as saying by PC Pro. "But you can’t do that with a monoculture and you can’t do that with a malware-catching ecosystem that is not robust and diverse."

The Microsoft rep admitted, however, that Redmond previously invested a lot of money trying to make Security Essentials achieve better results in all these anti-virus tests.

"We used to have part of our team directed towards predicting test results and figuring out what might be in someone’s test. There’s always a cost to that," she said. "If they are doing that work they are not looking at those threats that are affecting our customers. We always felt that was wrong. There’s something not right about that – we’re not doing the best job for our customers."

Now it all comes down to the collaboration with partners that are supposed to provide better protection, even though Security Essentials doesn’t score well in anti-virus tests.

"We’re providing all of that data and information to our partners so they can do at least as well as we are," Stewart said. "The natural progression is that we will always be on the bottom of these tests. And honestly, if we are doing our job correctly, that’s what will happen."

Is this a way to explain Security Essentials’ recent poor performance in anti-virus tests? Maybe, but it’s pretty clear that Microsoft isn’t yet ready to develop a full-featured security product, so third-parties seem to remain your only choice for an unbreakable computer.

Source

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paft

• Nima

• shorty6100

• insanedown58

Top Posters In This Topic

I have MSE installed, it's a shame to hear its detection rate is pretty low (although it isn't a surprise), because it's the least obtrusive AV I have come across. Very minimal. I only have it installed to feel a little safer. I can't be doing with other bloated annoying alternatives.

I can't remember the last time I had a virus anyway, even with better protection, since I download everything from reliable sources and browse with FF and Noscript.

Edited by Paft

"Microsoft has aggressively promoted Security Essentials until not a long time ago, saying that it provides at least similar protection as any other anti-virus product, including rival software from Kaspersky, ESET, Symantec, or Bitdefender."

Had a good laugh at this.

we all know that is basic since the begining, anyway MSE is enough for us at least in most of the things, also his requeriments are low, is not intrusive, no false positives and doesn't cause lag in our games.

If you expect MSE to be the 360o suite protection for your PC then you're bound to be disappointed. But if you've been expecting basic, essential security then you get what you expect.

I learned this a long time ago. Not to mention, updates for signatures were PAINFULLY slow through Windows Update.

But I believe Hitman Pro provides strong and enough level of basic security for computer in case of emergency need. ^_^

There is no need to install and run real-time AVs these days, the ages of Kaspersky, ESET & BitDefender have been over. ;)

Nima..That is the most dumbest thing I have ever read in my 16 years doing computers..If you believe that then you don't know much................