How to downgrade editions of vista?

LeetPirate

I know this is a strange thing to want to do but I need to downgrade vista on a pc. I want to ensure that nobody who uses it can try to use the Aero theme which will lead to sluggish performance due to the integrated gpu.

It is a dell oem btw. I tried changing the key to a basic edition key but vista ult does not accept it.

any ideas?

• Replies 2
  • Views 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello.

I don't know if this works for you or not, but you might try this:

1. Change Windows theme to Vista Basic from the Personalization button in Control Panel or from right clicking on your desktop;

2. End dwm.exe process from task manager, processes, if it is still there after step 1;

3. In elevated services from task manager, or services.msc entered into Start search box, change to disable the Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager service.

Alternatively, you might try applying steps 2 and 3 from the services.msc window.

The dwm.exe manages the features and functions of Aero Glass.

At least this would force anyone to dig around to use features that they don't need.

Good luck.

chrisTM out.

I know this is a strange thing to want to do but I need to downgrade vista on a pc. I want to ensure that nobody who uses it can try to use the Aero theme which will lead to sluggish performance due to the integrated gpu.

It is a dell oem btw. I tried changing the key to a basic edition key but vista ult does not accept it.

any ideas?

any ideas?

no.

you have to just turn off or uninstall stuff. may cause stability problems. im guessing you dont have much memory for it? 3GB really wasnt enough for it.

you could call and ask dell to down grade your version maybe when you send it in for free repair maybe but i doubt that too.

if the dell OEM has all the versions on it then you could format and install it but have to use a basic edition key that is for dell computers.

Archived