Microsoft Urges Windows XP Consumers to Move to Windows 8.1

truemate

Microsoft-Urges-Windows-XP-Consumers-to-

Microsoft has officially announced Windows 8.1 pricing and packaging a few hours ago, so the company also used the occasion to talk about Windows XP and its retirement date.

Windows XP will no longer receive updates and security patches as of April 8, 2014, so Microsoft wants everyone to move to a modern operating system as soon as possible.

This time, the company recommends users to at least give Windows 8.1 a try, no matter what device they own, as the new OS supports both touch and mouse and keyboards.

“Businesses that are still running Windows XP need to accelerate testing and migration to a modern operating system – like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 – as soon as possible before end of support occurs on April 8, 2014. If you are currently deploying Windows 7, begin evaluating Windows 8.1 for all devices, including touch and mouse and keyboard options,” Microsoft noted.

Windows XP is still powering more than 33 percent of computers worldwide and remains one of the top operating systems all over the world.

Microsoft, on the other hand, hopes to kill two birds with one stone: move consumers from Windows XP and also expand the user base of the new 8.1.

Source

Edited by truemate

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mara-

• sanjoa

• KamenRiderBlack

• tezza

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were an XP user, I won't migrate to Win8.

"If I were a XP user, I wouldn't migrate to Win8."

So much about your English.... :lol:

XP users should move to Win 7 without thinking.

Cheers ;)

Cheers ;)

OT: I need to study English language again :rofl:

Windows 7 all the way for me , even if microsoft offer me billions not gonna do it

If M$ offered me billions I would make sure the funds cleared then move to an Island and become a soverign state.

I would tolerate 8.0/8.1 till 9 came out.

XP had it's day, 14 years on nearly, 7 is fine from another 12 years.

I have XP as a virtual machine under 7 Pro SP1 x64.

Most of the old software I run XP VM on is now updated and don't us XP VM anymore.

KamenRiderBlack

Cheers ;)

'an' is correct because 'XP' has a vowel sound. by the way, it's supposed to be 'so much for' not about.

MidnightDistortions

I would never tell my consumers to upgrade to W8.1 or even 8 from XP. Windows 7 is fine and i would rather people upgrade to that instead of being forced to upgrade to W8.1

I think XP was a good OS, but certainly inadecuate for these days.

XP is running in our family desktop PC... why? 'video card incompatibilities... but its still good enough to check the e-mail, run MS office 2010, and to do some web seach.

Win8 runs in out laptops PCs, I think its a great OS except for the annoying metro interface.

At this point you can start whining about MS or just..

slothdealwithit.gif

- miss the start menu or sick about metro? try startisback

- want aero with blur effect? try aero glass

- stuck with XP or win7 because of win8 hardware checks? try to bypass it

regards,

Edited by rds084

Cheers ;)

'an' is correct because 'XP' has a vowel sound. by the way, it's supposed to be 'so much for' not about.

By the way, you didn't start your sentences with capital letter, and you are missing few commas. :lol:

Cheers ;)

Most people still running Win Xp probably won't upgrade anytime soon. Some of the older Pc's may not be able to meet requirements or they simply don't want the hassle. XP will be around for the next Ten years at least. XP was a monumental jump from Win 98, so it's still a modern operating system. I have friends still running Win XP on at least a Dozen machines and doing well. I still find XP a lot less hassle than 7 or 8. If it aint giving you any trouble and still does the job, why shake hands with more problems you don't need. ;)

Edited by speedpedal

KamenRiderBlack
By the way, you didn't start your sentences with capital letter, and you are missing few commas.

not as bad as yours though.

.. while I'd rather stick w/ WinXP, I'm afraid we're All going to be forced-out. There were mention (above)

about Win7 use on an older platform, which I have (laptop). I had done some searchin' some time back

and located "Tiny7" (info link below). Has anyone tried this alternative?

:http://www.buildpcs.com/threads/tiny-7-the-best-windows-os-for-and-old-computer.377/

also, I have an older desktop I built some years ago (yes, probably should upgrade, but it works) with

AMD dual processor, 2gb Ram on Asus mini-ATX board and nVidia 750 graphics card;

can someone help w/ solid version of Win7 .. whether untouched (Oem), Special Edition .. whatever other Nsaners are using?:?:

Many thanks for any suggestions, advise .. etc. : )

Edited by myfeetstink

By the way, you didn't start your sentences with capital letter, and you are missing few commas.

not as bad as yours though.

That's really bad. You should have learned that in the first grade.

Cheers ;)

Most computers running XP now days will not be able to run Windows 8 or 8.1 because of the older CPU...