Notebook problem

rudrax

Today I've faced an unexpected problm with my notebook. I have a sony viao VPCEB24EN notebook computer. It was running fine in the morning then I turned it off and after 1 hour wanted to ON it again and pressed the power button. But the screen remains dark and shows nothing not even the BIOS. Only the power button LED glows. Fan is running because system makes noise but I'm not feeling any vibration which leads me to doubt the CPU but the BIOS too isn't loading which leads me to doubt the motherboard.

Any opinions guys?

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudrax

• mazigh

• Roger D

• Dodel

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I've faced an unexpected problm with my notebook. I have a sony viao VPCEB24EN notebook computer. It was running fine in the morning then I turned it off and after 1 hour wanted to ON it again and pressed the power button. But the screen remains dark and shows nothing not even the BIOS. Only the power button LED glows. Fan is running because system makes noise but I'm not feeling any vibration which leads me to doubt the CPU but the BIOS too isn't loading which leads me to doubt the motherboard.

Any opinions guys?

Boot in safe mode, there may be some issue with graphics driver... :rolleyes:

If everything fine in safe mode then just reinstall graphics driver.. :)

How will you boot in safe mode where BIOS itself isn't loading?

How do you know that BIOS is not loading? I think everything is working but you are unable to see anything due to display problem..

Which OS are you using?

I have experienced the same problem. the problem was on my graphics card, hardware problem. Mine was Acer with graphics card ATI. I still got no solution for that.

Edited by rach

Obviously it's a hardware problem so you should deliver you laptop to the nearest Sony service center :)

It's a dual graphics notebook..one is ATI and another is Intel's integrated. So if ATI fail, Intel's one will back that up.

I doubt it to be BIOS failure. Any experienced user are there with BIOS failure?

How do you know that BIOS is not loading? I think everything is working but you are unable to see anything due to display problem..

Which OS are you using?

From the time you've pressed the power button, the display shows nothing. When the 'vaio logo' pops up after pressing the power button, the BIOS is supposed to be loaded. But the logo isn't showing up. Just there remains a dark display. The 'vaio logo' shows with no HDD/RAM installed. So there is no issue with my OS or drivers.

I really miss those dual BIOS mobos now :(

Which OS are you using?

From the time you've pressed the power button, the display shows nothing. When the 'vaio logo' pops up after pressing the power button, the BIOS is supposed to be loaded. But the logo isn't showing up. Just there remains a dark display. The 'vaio logo' shows with no HDD/RAM installed. So there is no issue with my OS or drivers.

Then problem is associated with your graphics hardware.. I have faced same problem with my Hp laptop with nvidia Card.. No BIOS, No display..I had to replace my nvidia graphics card.. :( .

Visit your nearest Service center.. :rolleyes:

(If your laptop is now out of warranty then try booting the system by removing one of the graphics cards) :showoff:

Maybe a silly idea, but you can still try.

You have a notbook - remove the power supply as well as batteries (accus). Let stand for a few minutes and put all back and try to run it.

I personally do not believe that is wrong with the BIOS or graphic, but not 100% surely.

Which OS are you using?

Then problem is associated with your graphics hardware.. I have faced same problem with my Hp laptop with nvidia Card.. No BIOS, No display..I had to replace my nvidia graphics card.. :( .

Visit your nearest Service center.. :rolleyes:

(If your laptop is now out of warranty then try booting the system by removing one of the graphics cards) :showoff:

Both cards are soldered to the mobo so it's not possible for me to remove any of them. Now, a ray of hope is spotted. A few minuets earlier, I pressed the power button and it's loaded to the windows logo and then shut down automatically. Then again I pressed the power button, no display as previous. So now my doubt diverts to thermal issue as I'm using my system without thermal paste.

You have a notbook - remove the power supply as well as batteries (accus). Let stand for a few minutes and put all back and try to run it.

I personally do not believe that is wrong with the BIOS or graphic, but not 100% surely.

I completely have re-assembled my notebook removing all removable hardwares. Now it seems to be a thermal issue as I'm running my notebook without it.

It's possibly a graphic card issue (overheating), I had this issue since 7 months, my NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GS had this kind of issue, the big problem was that the repairer told me I can't replace it with a new GPU! (Irreplaceable), so he tried a known method (putting a liquid on it maybe), so it worked but advised me to buy a fan.. so I did + I've never used apps that use a lot of GPU power like Games, Google Earth and disabled Hardware acceleration on Google chrome.., btw do you hear the Startup Sound? and did your PC had blue screens before?

I completely have re-assembled my notebook removing all removable hardwares. Now it seems to be a thermal issue as I'm running my notebook without it.

Sorry to state the obvious here, but why on earth would you expect it to run and stay running with no thermal paste ??, you can even make the stuff from toothpaste and vaseline (yes you can!) of course this is a temporary fix, but it suffices to see if that is the issue.

You clearly have enough knowledge and apptitude to take it apart and presume it's a thermal issue because your not running any, ergo it likely is...

Edited by Dodel

@Mazigh, I've told alreay in my first post that I'm a notebook user. And the topic title says it too. Thanks for your input, anyway.

@Dodel, I didn't know about home made thermal paste. Thanks for the trick. So, now it's nearly sure that it's a thermal issue. Had you ever faced the same problem for not using thermal paste?

@rudrax I'm talking about notebook too, the important is did you had blue screens before and do you hear the startup sound?

Edited by mazigh

@Mazigh, my notebook doesn't make any startup sound not even when it works fine. Never had any BSOD.

@Dodel, I didn't know about home made thermal paste. Thanks for the trick. So, now it's nearly sure that it's a thermal issue. Had you ever faced the same problem for not using thermal paste?

Yep on a PC based setup, core2duo. It was an old one I had lying about, so decided to throw it together and as I had no arctic paste, I googled alternatives. ALL setups have a thermal cutout to stop you pretty much frying your components, hence the thermal paste on the CPU.

If I remember rightly, the thermal paste pulls the heat away from the CPU quicker so on the inital boot & load, the temp is funneld via the paste onto the heatsink, once the intial load is done, the paste isn't of much benefit, but without the paste the heat from the CPU isn't being pulled away quick enough, that's why it's shutting down, to stop it frying itself.

Edited by Dodel

I've ordered 'deepcool z3' thermal paste 3 gram for 345 indian bucks.

Is it BIOS that is preventing the system from booting preventing damage? Or it's something else?

@rudrax

As Kalju says, Remove the batteries and let it stay idle for a few minutes.

In addition to this, the important step -- After removing the batteries and the power cable, hold down down the power button for 30Secs, wait a further 30Secs and then refit the batteries and hit power ON . It might work.

I faced the same issue once, of Lappy not starting up, even though the fan inside spins and the LEDs glow.

This procedure rectified what ever was wrong !

I doubt if its the BIOS .

Did you keep a check on the Laptops running temperatures ?

And i think the start up temperatures are not that high that they force a CPU to shutdown. Start ups are generally cold as compared to running conditions .

@majithia, I was expecting your opinion.

I strongly doubt it as thermal issue as I've been running my laptop without thermal paste almost 2 months. Now I've decided to power ON my laptop after applying thermal paste avoiding any further conflicts. It may be the BIOS who is governing the CPU not 2 power ON or it may be some OEM facility who might be governing the CPU on behalf of its health.

When I was running without themale paste, the system was reaching 70^oC just on surfing the net. In idle condition, it was above 60^oC. I left playing games for this.

About the startup, for a few seconds during startup, system uses lot of CPU and then calm down. At that instant, the produced heat can't be transferred instantly to the sink for the absense of thermal paste which triggers the protection mechanism to turn off the CPU, I guess.

Yes i do know the start up , but still i doubt that the temperatures touch such an extreme that it warrants a system shut down !

The BIOS usually maintains the cut off at the critical temperatures . Usually above 80'C .

So, start up heating could be an issue , but not a highly probable one . Might be on a lower priority !

But , Well why the hell would you run the PC without a thermal paste !!

Its simple physics buddy. The thermal paste is required to quickly dissipate the heat .

Well, for now , is the laptop starting up ?

Did you try what i told you ?

And when you power ON the laptop , notice all the LED's that light up . How many light UP ? How many times does one or two or any particular LED blinks and also note the blink duration and rhythm !!

Also try to notice for any subtle Beeps and Tinks and Clicks .

Sometimes the BIOS is instructed to give these clues , in a normal start up and during a troubled start up .

A specific LED blink along with the duration and rhythm of blink and/or added sounds can point towards what is wrong with the system !!

Other than these , there can be many issues .RAM , M.Board , Graphic card , HDD , etc etc etc ...

I'm not gonna power ON the laptop till I get the thermal paste. Till then, I gotta keep quiet.

Edited by rudrax