Documents Confirm NSA Inserts “Back Doors” Into Web, Software

Ambrocious

RT
September 6, 2013

The latest top-secret documents leaked to the media by former intelligence contractor Edward Snowden reveal that United States and British spy agencies have invested billions of dollars towards efforts to make online privacy obsolete.

The New York Times, the Guardian and ProPublica all reported on Thursday that newly released Snowden documents expose the great lengths that the National Security Agency and Britain’s Government Communications Headquarters, or GCHQ, have gone to in order to eavesdrop on encrypted Internet communications.

According to the latest Snowden leak, the NSA and its British counterpart have circumvented the encryption methods used to secure emails, chats and essentially most Internet traffic that was previously thought to be protected from prying eyes.

The price tag for such an endeavor, the Guardian reported, is around a quarter-of-a-billion dollars each year for just the US, and involves not just intricate code-breaking, but maintaining partnerships with the tech companies that provide seemingly secure online communication outlets.

The files show that the National Security Agency and its UK counterpart GCHQ have broadly compromised the guarantees that Internet companies have given consumers to reassure them that their communications, online banking and medical records would be indecipherable to criminals or governments,” James Ball, Julian Borger and Glenn Greenwald reported for the Guardian.

REVEALED: US and UK spy agencies defeat privacy and security on the internet

— Glenn Greenwald (@ggreenwald)

Outside of the shadowy collaboration with Silicon Valley companies, the governments have also reportedly employed supercomputers capable of decrypting codes commonly used by the most popular online protocols, including HTTPS, voice-over-IP and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).

For the past decade, NSA has lead [sic] an aggressive, multi-pronged effort to break widely used Internet encryption technologies,” a 2010 GCHQ document referenced by the Guardian reads. “Vast amounts of encrypted Internet data which have up till now been discarded are now exploitable.”

With regards to reaching that goal through private-sector cooperation, the Guardian reported that the NSA works with tech companies to “covertly influence” their products.

So significant is the leak, the Times and ProPublica reported, that intelligence officials asked that the documents not be published in fear that the disclosures would prompt surveillance targets, such as terrorist organization, to alter the way they communicate online.

In an editorial published alongside the scoop this week by ProPublica, reporters Stephen Engelberg and Richard Tofel said the outlet decided to go ahead with the story because “It shows that the expectations of millions of Internet users regarding the privacy of their electronic communications are mistaken.”

's editors: why we published
decryption story with Guardian and NYT

— alan rusbridger (@arusbridger)

News of the agency’s vast code-breaking capabilities comes just weeks following the shuttering of no fewer than two Internet services that provided encrypted email for paying customers.

Last month, the founder of email provider Lavabit announced that he was shutting down his company because staying in business would likely force him “to become complicit in crimes against the American people.”

Our government can order us to do things that are morally and ethically wrong, order us to spy on other Americans and then order us, using the threat of imprisonment, to keep it all secret,Levison told RT.

The next day, competitor Silent Circle announced they’d be suspending their encrypted email service as well.

In the three months since Snowden fled the US and began leaking classified documents to the media, a number of international outlets have published revelations made possibly by the analysis of top-secret files. According to the Times, Snowden supplied reporters with 50,000 documents, and the Guardian’s Greenwald said at least dozens were, in his opinion, newsworthy.

The latest revelation comes days after the media began reporting on the leaked US intelligence “black budget” supplied by Snowden. In that document, US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper prefaced an executive summary by saying that America is “investing in groundbreaking cryptanalytic capabilities to defeat adversarial cryptography and exploit Internet traffic.”

According to the secret funding request, the US Consolidated Cryptologic Program asked for $11 billion in fiscal year 2013 towards covert, code-breaking programs.

This article was posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 at 5:25 am

Source: RT

Edited by Ambrocious

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dMog

• Ambrocious

• Wazzbler

• schroedingsda

anyone wishing to delete their account here does not need to do anything but stop showing up here... publicly asking for the right to delete himself form nsane is tantamount to being a drama queen..if you truly wish to delete your account send lite or any mod as PM and stop showing up and don't post your drama on the forums...unless you are looking for attention and really are a drama queen

Edited by dMog

thought you were so upset you were going to quit this site... and let us know if you still planning to sue the moderators, admin and this site...

Hey dMog!

Haven't seen you around for a while,

I heard you joined the "My Little Pony" or the Telly Tubbies forum where everything is pink and cute and fluffy, and where everything is Good and Pure and TRUE,

And no one ever has to analyze or critique their leaders because they are all such good, kind loving people.

And nobody gets sick, or lacks anything, and children and the elderly are looked after, and drugs are unheard of and violence is saying "Boo" to someone and ...

And no government spies on their people and everyone is jolly and happy all the time and love each other unconditionally, and everyone has each others best interest at heart...

Someone should just wake up and accept that there is a difference between fantasy, fairy tales and reality.

So dMog what are YOU still doing here where people have a dark side and accept that the rest of the world does too?

sorry but i think you have me confused with someone that will actually care or run to my mommy when i get critiqued here.... sorry but that's not me ..nor do i really care if you don not like me...nor will i be losing sleep because you were mean to me...again don't really care about your opinion nor will i defend my position on ambro or infowars..you have read all my posts and that about sums it up agree or disagree and post your own thoughts... don't really care and by the way..i have travelled the world and actually seen repressive governments, police and military in action first hand,,, anyone who lives in so called western world where free elections are held and still claims they live under the thumb of their respective governments, police and armies have no idea of what that actually means have yet to see you complain when school aged girls get acid thrown in their faces for daring to go to school or anyone of other number of evil things repressive countries do to their people...

Hey mDog!

No need to apologize to me.

I understand EXACTLY where you are coming from, how you view things and what/who you don't like.

I hope I can join the ranks like Ambro's whose face you launch acidic attacks on constantly.

Please, please Show us your passport, we really, really want to meet a famous wordl traveler like you!!!

Ambrocious:: Stop being so greedy and antagonizing mDog all by yourself! There might be other people here who want some fun at his expense too!

My comment was just make sure this was the REAL mDog, and not someone impersonating him.

No matter the variety that is shown here, I absolutely LOOOOVE mDog's continual looping of comments aimed at Amro, and watching the two of you winding each other up is a tremendous source of entertainment.

Keep going! I need a laugh every now and then, and you certainly provide me much merriment.

Even if I get warned, banned or whatever, pushing your buttons as you push Amro's is worth it

well desertLoner...you might want to explain that a bit more... if ambro sent you here to say that it is kind of generic and nobody really knows what it means

so NSA knows more about you than your wife :think: :omg: :bag:

Edited by AryaPutraSRJ

anyone wishing to delete their account here does not need to do anything but stop showing up here... publicly asking for the right to delete himself form nsane is tantamount to being a drama queen..if you truly wish to delete your account send lite or any mod as PM and stop showing up and don't post your drama on the forums...unless you are looking for attention and really are a drama queen

come on people you think the nsa is repressive..yea they are doing things wrong but i challenge any of you to go to China and try to get on the internet..talk about repression... don't just be looking in your backyard for repressive governments... did we see anyone saying how bad it was in Russia that it recently became illegal to be gay??? again , my point is it is NOT just the usa doing stupid things and thinking they are doing the world a favour...don't get me wrong i am glad you are speaking out but go after all of them.