DVD scratches

apcmiller

OK this is a long a story but here it goes....

Ever since I got my DVD burner I have had issues with scratched disks. When I burn a movie It seems to play fine in the DVD drive, but when I put the disk in either one of my dvd players I end up with skipping. Now this doesnt always happen. I've tried to figure out whats causing it with no luck so far. I've tried using different DVD's: sony, maxell, gq, memorex, and several others and it doesnt seem to be that. My DVD burner is a Pacific Digital 8x DVD+-RW/+-R/CD RW drive which is cool since it will take any blanks I buy and I dont have to watch the +- crap. I have two dvd players one is Toshiba w/surround sound and stereo the other is Emerson w/VCR. The problem that I'm having is that most (not all) of my DVD's that I burn end up with what looks like a scratch from the outside edge toward the middle at a 45 degree angle or so. It doesnt seem to matter what burning software I use and it's pretty random when it happens. It causes havok with my players and has made me throw a few DVD's like frisbees across my apartment complex. They skip or freeze and if I try to play them in my playstation the playstation goes nuts and sounds like it's going to explode (clicking and skipping like crazy and they wont even load). The emerson player actually seems to have a easier time playing the disk that get jacked up it just skips the damaged portion and keeps playing, the toshiba player on the other hand will just freeze and refuse to keep playing. Now....if you've gotten through all that and have any idea whats going on your one up on me. So, on to my actual question....do you think that its my dvd burner, dvd players, or the blanks that I'm using that are causing this and if I go buy a dvd buffer do you think that it will help or are the dvd's permantly f'ed up.

I've confused myself so I'm going to stop writing now, but I would appreciate any help I could get on this matter.

• Replies 5
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are good, but I'd only use them on DVD's or something which I'll use alot.

http://www.dskin.net/index.asp

I'd try changing your media though, Datasafe Titanium is the brand I use and very reliable and durable. Also Tuff Disc are supposedly the strongest around.

any that are avaible in the USA or a site that i can buy them from that wont require international shipping?

any that are avaible in the USA or a site that i can buy them from that wont require international shipping?

are you storing your dvds on top of each other in cases? that a no no . you need to stand them up. if you are having a scratch after a burn then its your burner.

dvd burner extrenal? standing up or flat? 8x are your dvdr's actually 8x? have you try 2x or 4x when burning? are your cds you burn it it getting that scratch too? make a vcd movie and play it on your computer and then your dvd player.

you really cant go by name brand anymore. they just slap their name on it now days. buy a 100 pack of say memorex and a month later when you buy it itll be different. you use to be able to read the cdr data of the quality of the disk. they stop putting the information on them and i dont know if they ever did put it on dvdr's.

check the tray the disk is on. when it opens and closes is it touching/hitting something? use a flashlight and peek into your tray. hold the outer cover up or down to peek in. see a wire or plastic sticking up? right after the burn and the disk is ejected is the scratch there or after you put the disk back into the drive? google your burner for problems? offical website?

are you storing your dvds on top of each other in cases?  that a no no .  you need to stand them up. 

Hard or soft cases? I have them stored in thin hard cases and yes they lay on top of each other, each in thier individual cases. How would this scratch them?

Hard or soft cases?  I have them stored in thin hard cases and yes they lay on top of each other, each in thier individual cases.  How would this scratch them?

you are not suppose to lay them on top of each other. (yeah i know we all do it)

when they come in the 50 to 100 pack spindles they are all flat together and strong. but in a case there is a air space. this is jsut one of the possible problems you are having. most likely its your burner. a foriegn object in there that is scratching.

Archived