NOD32 says kazaa.core is virus

apcmiller

NOD32 is now telling me that kazza.core is a virus. Must have to do with the updates from today too, because its never said that before. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using Klite 2.7 and NOD32 2.51.8.

• Replies 23
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

It does help if you post the location of the file and what its detected as :P . Its 99% likely to be a false positive thought.

10/25/2005 22:08:10 PM

AMON file C:\Program Files\K-Lite\traffic.core

Win32/Adware.Altnet application

Event occurred at an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe.

It seems NOD doesnt like altnet....

• Administrator

Theres a reason perhaps why its detected:

The regular KMD adds some "bundles" to a location on your hard drive (now if only i could remember where), and starting an adware application. Instead of detecting the crap, they detect the cause, poor signiture IMO.

ESET used to be better than this.... guess to compete with the best they must do as the rest (well the lazy ones.... no names though ;) )

The regular KMD adds some "bundles" to a location on your hard drive (now if only i could remember where), and starting an adware application. Instead of detecting the crap, they detect the cause, poor signiture IMO.

ESET used to be better than this.... guess to compete with the best they must do as the rest (well the lazy ones.... no names though ;) )

its not finding the klr version as one. then again did he get klite from a good site and not one of those scammer sites or from p2p instead?

poor signiture IMO hmmmm microsoft antispyware comes to mind.

it is sad when a nice product changes to the neg side. false pos is worst then a real one.

Guest oxygenuk
NOD32 is now telling me that kazza.core is a virus.  Must have to do with the updates from today too, because its never said that before.  Anyone else have this problem?  I'm using Klite 2.7 and NOD32 2.51.8.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

kazaa is just 1 big virus :unsure:

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Why does Kazaa "suck".

If you say fake files, i say theres ways to avoid them.

If you spyware, i say K-Lite v2.7

If you say no ip blocker, i say K-Lite v2.7

If you say not many features, once again i say K-Lite v2.7

Guest elc0173

what if i say "More than 95% of those caught filesharing have been caught using Fastrack clients such as Kazaa"

-quote from slyck.com

• Administrator

What about features of newer versions of kazaa lite (alot are not present in the orignal client... which most poeple get caught using.....) like blocking of file listings, IP Blocker etc.

Guest elc0173
What about features of newer versions of kazaa lite (alot are not present in the orignal client... which most poeple get caught using.....) like blocking of file listings, IP Blocker etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya, but nothings perfect.... an ip blocker cant block a new ip untill its been reported, idk how effective blocking of file listings is, but my guess is it would be about as effective as a ip blocker.... its just not worth the risk IMO.... besides, theres better networks out there.... idk why people still insist on using fasttrack......

• Administrator

No network is more secure than the other. Anon networks are much safer. The safest way is not to download copyrighted materials!

Guest elc0173

im not saying other networks are more secure, im just saying other networks dont have nearly as many **AA scum all over em..... i mean seriously, 95%... thats friggin huge... and before you say it because thats where the most people are.... theres almost a million more on ed2k......

• Administrator

But what proportion of those users where using versions of Kazaa Lite with an IP blocker etc?

Don't beleive everything you read on the internet, in the past most users where using kazaa (and variants), most new "attacks" are on Bittorrent, Ed2k and Gnutella networks.

One figure means nothing. You need to know the context of the "crime", figures cannot do this, having some "inside" info can help though. You got the link you got the quote from?

every fasttrack user on the lists had @Kazaa in their name. they didnt have the standard klite++, klr nor klite name endings. these where people that didnt use any protection; allowed list sharing, no ip blocker, spyware nor firewalls. note the lists is not updated anymore since that part of the dmca was declare illegal. you cant mass sue isp for the informatin on users. they have to get an actually court order for each and everyone of them separtely. a lot of sites drop caring the list because of that.

(this is for the usa and not europe or asia parts like japan and south korea) german p2p usersgot it worst. over 15,000 got letter to pay or be sued for earth II thing game a while back. a lawyer firm used goverment tracking data to make the list.

what ifs what ifs what ifs .....................................

if you are going to p2p use some kind of protection and common sense. you are at this website. there is more then enough information and software picks to help you out.

Guest elc0173
You got the link you got the quote from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1054

ya i know newer attacks are on newer networks... but i dont think that makes fasttrack any safer... i ONLY download from private bt trackers and direct links... if i cant find what i want on them, thats the only time ill go to something different, which is usually ares, or sometimes soulseek.... but ya, i get what your saying, i just think its too soon to be going back to fasttrack.. if ever........

anyways, i think im done with this topic, everyone has their thoughts/opinions, mine is that fasttrack sucks... you dont havta agree with it... but thats what it is......... ill do my best to respect your opinion on it aswell ;)

private bit trackers dont protect u from shit.. The RIAA could easily be watching them. Hell, if the site closes due to the RIAA/MPAA, they could get all of the sites logs and "catch" everyone.. I think that was the issue with a private BT site that closed awhile back.

its not finding the klr version as one. then again did he get klite from a good site and not one of those scammer sites or from p2p instead?

poor signiture IMO hmmmm microsoft antispyware comes to mind.

it is sad when a nice product changes to the neg side. false pos is worst then a real one.

Yeah, I remember that it detects any reg keys related to Kazaa as adware. :P

Guest elc0173
private bit trackers dont protect u from shit.. The RIAA could easily be watching them. Hell, if the site closes due to the RIAA/MPAA, they could get all of the sites logs and "catch" everyone.. I think that was the issue with a private BT site that closed awhile back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

never said they do..... but they have much less leechers since they kick em off, so its very fast... and since the ones i use are very strict on registrations... theres really not much to worry about.... i think i know of the site your talking about.... cant rememeber the name, but if its the one im thinking of i was a member of it..... logs cant be used for a lawsuit anyways, they might help, but they cant base a lawsuit on it, which is why theyre not going around shuttin down all the private trackers...... (atleast thats what i read when i was freakin out about a site shutdown before, im pretty sure its right tho)

99% of programs I have downloaded from any filesharing network has ha some type of virus,adware,trojan, or something unwanted attatched to it or imbeded in it that I just would rather get it by other means than to try to get programs from fileshare networks

Maybe I should add that Zone Labs Firewall said that Kazaa was adware and removed it and I had to install it all over again. Hasn't done it lately.

Archived