Popular download management program has hidden DDoS component, researchers say

Pedrito

Recent versions of Orbit Downloader, a popular Windows program for downloading embedded media content and other types of files from websites, turns computers into bots and uses them to launch distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks, according to security researchers.

Read more: PCWorld

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pedrito

• DKT27

• emerglines

• Ambrocious

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though this was once already posted (a few weeks back I think) it's worthy to be re-posted. I use to use Orbit Downloader, but I stopped using it a little over a year ago when I realized it all but terminated my internet connection and failed to actually download ANYTHING. I had no clue what was wrong but my issues didn't stop until I force closed the program, shutting it off in the task manger too.

This has been ongoing now for a long long time and I hardly doubt it's accidental. Steer clear of Orbit download manager. It use to work GREAT, now it is actually harmful.

Edited by Ambrocious

• Administrator

PCWorld comes to know about things quite late it seems.

PCWorld comes to know about things quite late it seems.

Seems that way. :tooth:

Old news, but this article have more details. After reading, i just tough, damn i knew it. Because once i saw that winpcap was automatically installed, and i didnt know why, all i did was uninstall, but months later, there it was.

After seeing the old post about orbit's ddos capabilities, i had to uninstall and now i'm using IDM, its better but needs permanent medicine for minor updates.

Im kind of shocked that they are investigating orbinet.exe capabilities of ddos, because orbinet.exe its old and needed to accelerate downloads, it has been used since day one.

Edited by Catoja

I wonder how many more programs have hidden stuff like this one! :fear:

PCWorld is an outdated source of news don't waste your time using it.

• Administrator

Not really. I mean, yeah, it has it's negatives, but it has positives too, especially after it stopped posting loads of Apple related news after I sent a rant to them. :P

Not really. I mean, yeah, it has it's negatives, but it has positives too, especially after it stopped posting loads of Apple related news after I sent a rant to them. :P

You're the man ! :)

It's nice to see there is diversity in unity within nsane.forums and thanks for the sharing the helpful info :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Orbit until I upgraded the software one day, and then all of a sudden my Firewall went BEZERK !!!

I had to actually turn my router OFF to handle the situation and remove this garbage.

I found out that it had installed something called 'Software Informer' :-(

What a piece of Rubbish that Software Informer is. And now this DDoS thing.

Orbit to me is now just a vague memory that will just dissapear into nothingness.