Windows 8.1 coming October 18th, Windows Store gets it a day early

november_ra1n

november_ra1n

Windows 8.1 coming October 18th, Windows Store gets it a day early

8ei.jpg

Microsoft has announced that Windows 8.1 will be coming October 18th via the Windows Store and retail outlets and will be a free update for those who already have Windows 8 installed on their machines.
If you plan on downloading the update via the Windows Store, you can grab the update on the 17th (at 4AM, PDT) as that time aligns to 12:00 AM in New Zealand on the 18th.
Windows 8.1 will bring quite a few new features to the table including the return of the Start button, enhancements to the Modern interface, and a bunch more. Steve Ballmer has referred to Windows 8.1 as a refined blend when making the comparisons of Windows 8.1 to coffee.
Neowin had previously revealed that Microsoft is finishing up testing of the Windows 8.1 platform with the final internal testing date to be August 23rd. With the launch date now set in stone, Windows 8.1 should be hitting RTM very soon, likely in the last week of August. But, at this time, it looks like those of you with MSDN/TechNet subscription may have to wait to get your hands on the update as several reports suggest that Microsoft will not make the update available early to developers.
Windows 8.1 is part of Microsoft’s new cadence to release updates to the platform on a yearly basis. This update, originally codenamed Blue, is a testament to that cadence and we will be interested to see when Microsoft gives out information about the next update that should arrive next year.
Source l neowin
Edited by november_ra1n

• Replies 28
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tezza

• november_ra1n

• demoneye

• J.C

Will it come as a update for windows 8 or as a whole new OS?

november_ra1n

If you already install Windows 8 you can just update, like Service Pack.

Is it advisable to remove the 3rd party start button before the update?

"Consumers will only be able to get Windows 8.1 for free through the Windows Store. ISO images won’t be made available broadly for consumers. For most consumers, the Windows Store is the easiest and most efficient route for updating a Windows 8 device to Windows 8.1. Installing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store should be quick and easy even on slow connections."

Brandon LeBlanc (today)

@rudrax, you could be up and running for xmas :D

Is it advisable to remove the 3rd party start button before the update?

Purely as a precaution, i personally will uninstall third party start button just to make sure there is no conflict with upgrade, also uninstalling AV ,determining if it's fully compatible before reinstalling. I use mainly portables so hopefully no problems.

How hard would it have been for Microsoft to put in a dialogue at installation asking

"Are you installing to a Desktop/Laptop or to a Tablet PC?"

and

"Would you prefer the traditional desktop with Start Menu or the new Start Page?"

That would have ended a lot of problems for new users and make everyone happy. :)

Does this mean that i can install windows 8.1 on my PC using a windows 8.1 untouched iso downloaded from torrent and just type in my purchased win 8 key and it will install a fresh win 8.1? Or only by installing windows 8 first and then upgrading to 8.1 via store.

november_ra1n

Does this mean that i can install windows 8.1 on my PC using a windows 8.1 untouched iso downloaded from torrent and just type in my purchased win 8 key and it will install a fresh win 8.1? Or only by installing windows 8 first and then upgrading to 8.1 via store.

That is what it suppose to be if you have Windows 8 activation key in your hands, but make sure you use the right version before download from Torrent. Cause if your Windows Pre Install Oem version then you need to download Windows Store or your OEM provider. If you purchase the key from shop then any retail version or MSDN Edition will short your requirement out, then you can download from Torrent.

Edited by november_ra1n

Microsoft: There will be new OS that is FREE called Windows Blue to match Linux Distro..

Then couple months later. Windows Blue = Windows 8.1

After that. ITS Not free. You have to Purchase Windows 8 first to use Windows Blue.

Windows Blue is only a service pack for Windows 8.

If you have XP,Vista,Seven. You cant use Windows Blue, unless you buy Windows 8.

So its Not Free ^_^ like Linux.

Edited by Lemonadez

@Lemonadez

MS have never said there will be a free OS called Windows Blue . Blue was just a code name used before officially being called Win8.1. Rumours said it was to be a free upgrade to Win8 users, which was confirmed by MS earlier this year. ^_^

Most expensive service pack ever :lol:

mindfuck, gotta be kidding right?

is a free upgrade for Win 8 costumers, like whatever others OS with they service packs...

hell ya ! :D

How dare they release this glorified service pack on my birthday. I'd much prefer Win 7 SP2.

That makes 2 of us...lol

Windows 8 has been tagged 'the new Vista' by LOTS of people and I'm not too sure that the 8.1 update is going to change that opinion much. Just like XP before it, Win7 has proved to be a good/solid OS that doesn't leave much to be desired. That being said, there are not many motivating reasons for people to switch operating systems...the saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broke!" comes to mind. Imo, Win8 is best suited as a tablet OS as it caters to touch screens.

• 2 weeks later...

though expensive~~ i'm still waiting for that day to come ~~ so exciting~

at the end of the day it doesnt so matter if u are using win 7 or 8 or 8.1 , they all do the same :)

I'll Get The Whole Stuff Without CATS :lol: Meeeeewww

I do not get what cats has to do with WZOR :unsure: , maybe in-joke? But i can't understand what WZOR says even with google translate most of the time, but the guy is a legend. :D