Creating vista installation CD from working OS

Hitman6267

Hello,

I read that it possible to create a vista installation cd from laptops. Laptops aren't coming with installation cds any more so there's a way to create your own. Any one can help me ? I have a sony VAIO.

• Replies 15
  • Views 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lite is you option! wait for other member responses or keep googling for the app and tut's...

got lazy just few moments ago... bhuuuu! at me!

You can install a regular Vista in a laptop, but I suggest downloading first the required drivers that are usually available at the manufacturer's site.

In your case, that manufacturer would be Sony.

Are you looking for an install CD or a recovery CD? The rest from there I can help you. Actually it's pretty easy :lol:

as far as I got the picture- somebody might be worried in posting a simple request on how to back up his vista laptop OS....?

http://www.vlite.net/about.html

http://www.cyb3rglitch.com/Tweak-XP-Vista/Tweak-XP-Vista.php

or to avoid whole load of reading(from personal experience) - just do it! it will onlu have one or two dvd's to replace if you have options for restore/testing on other PC

another "opinionated advice"- forget the vista! get yourself XP or if it is super powerful (lesser that it's needed for vista) down and try Windows 7

Keep in touch!

To use vLite you need an installation disk to edit. I have the OS installed. I want to create an installation disk from there.

@Rock Lee

I want an install disk

Note: I don't want to download the installation disk because my connection is slow.

slow + bandwidth limit. But why download since there's a way to make it from the OS. I read some guides but they didn't work for me.

slow + bandwidth limit. But why download since there's a way to make it from the OS. I read some guides but they didn't work for me.

I believe it is possible, but I've never actually tried it myself. Will read into it.

Edit:

To avoid confusion, this is not the type of recovery discs you find in prepackaged computer systems. This recovery disc does not reinstall Windows, it merely offers tools to fix it if it ever becomes unbootable.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20080324/...-vista-sp1-rtm/

@Hitman6267:

It would be possible to make it, but IMO it would just be a crappy installer.

Unless you have a third party program to automate the task of compressing files, and building registry switches for them, etc.

The closest programs I know that can pull it off are nLite / vLite / RyanVM Integrator.

However, it requires the original installer.

@shought:

Does it work on XP too?

Nice find ;)

It's similar to Windows Live CD, but with a different approach.

@Hitman6267:

Maybe you can use the approach or get an idea in the above link.

PsychoticxBloodxLust

usually when you buy a new computer preloaded with an os such as xpor vista, the vendor offers there own utility that you want before making changes to the system, i know this is the case with lenovo laptops they offer there thinkvantage utility to make a single back up disc of vista if you plan to rollback your systen to xp otherwise for reinstalls you use the "blue button"

I'm sure sony has something similar:

Here ya go found it sony viao recovery discutlity

makesure your model is listed if not please provide it here

Note: seraching a vendors support site, always provides better results then a simple google serch

Archived