how to limit peer speed in torrents

princenarwal

princenarwal

when today downloading some torrents i found that some peers are just downloading and uploading very slowly. i was at 27% and some others were 60-80% but they were just downloading from me and uploaded nothing or very less.

so i want to know how can we fix our dl and ul speed for a specific peer. Not for all but just for that special peer. i am using utorrent 3.3.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DKT27

• SnakeMasteR

• princenarwal

• FreeRyde

I believe the only option is to copy those peer's IPs and add them to your Hosts file to block them completely.

I'm not aware of any half measures.

Options > Show Detailed Info > Peers

Right-click on any IP

Select 'Copy Selected Hosts' from menu.

when today downloading some torrents i found that some peers are just downloading and uploading very slowly. i was at 27% and some others were 60-80% but they were just downloading from me and uploaded nothing or very less.

so i want to know how can we fix our dl and ul speed for a specific peer. Not for all but just for that special peer. i am using utorrent 3.3.

Its not as simple as that because you wont be the only person they are downloading from or uploading to. They may be uploading faster on some other peers because of network priority, ie they may be closer to other peoples ISP then yours.

There is no need to lower speed to anybody, just let utorrent handle peers.

SnakeMasteR

There can be different reasons for, maybe your provider doesn't like the other provider and you can't connect to him or vice versa or it can be the used clients. That you get slow upload speed from others, there also can be a few reasons, other torrents already seeding and the upload bandwidth is on max. (but splitted on many different torrents or there are other torrents with higher priority), slow connection, high latency, provider cap, etc. Getting some upload is better than nothing and you shouldn't blame people you don't even know or the reason for their slow connection because most providers today do upload caps especially for filesharing, it's not new, sometimes it depends on the daytime where the provider triggers the caps or removes them.

Just think about it, if you ban IPs in your client using IPFILTER.DAT (that would be the easiest way, no need to edit the hosts, a so called system file), don't forget to remove those IPs again after finishing the torrents or otherwise you might have banned those users that could give you some upload speed on other torrents in the future, don't use that for small private communities because you can kill your peerlist if you do it too often because at some point, you might have banned the whole community. :lol:

princenarwal

I believe the only option is to copy those peer's IPs and add them to your Hosts file to block them completely.

Thanx but i think it will not be good to block them completely.

Its not as simple as that because you wont be the only person they are downloading from or uploading to. They may be uploading faster on some other peers because of network priority, ie they may be closer to other peoples ISP then yours.

There is no need to lower speed to anybody, just let utorrent handle peers.

i understand that but think if they are just trying to save bandwidth by selecting upload to minimum.

There can be different reasons for, maybe your provider doesn't like the other provider and you can't connect to him or vice versa or it can be the used clients. That you get slow upload speed from others, there also can be a few reasons, other torrents already seeding and the upload bandwidth is on max. (but splitted on many different torrents or there are other torrents with higher priority), slow connection, high latency, provider cap, etc. Getting some upload is better than nothing and you shouldn't blame people you don't even know or the reason for their slow connection because most providers today do upload caps especially for filesharing, it's not new, sometimes it depends on the daytime where the provider triggers the caps or removes them.

Just think about it, if you ban IPs in your client using IPFILTER.DAT (that would be the easiest way, no need to edit the hosts, a so called system file), don't forget to remove those IPs again after finishing the torrents or otherwise you might have banned those users that could give you some upload speed on other torrents in the future, don't use that for small private communities because you can kill your peerlist if you do it too often because at some point, you might have banned the whole community. :lol:

I don't want to block them completely. i just want download and upload in ratio. e.g. to a peer if i am uploading 4mb. i want 1mb to be downloaded from that.

I am downloading a 6gb movie, completed about 5gb and uploaded about 9gb. And there were peers which started downloading after me, downloaded 600mb uploaded 50mb and after completion they just disappeared. Is it fair?

• Administrator

Two words: Super Seeding.

Try it.

Go in torrent's properties and search for Super Seeding. I haven't used uTorrent in a long time so don't remember, but it has to be there somewhere.

SnakeMasteR

Shouldn't it be used, if you are the only seeder with the complete data in the swarm?

I don't care what others upload or download, i don't count it, i have a maximum of 300% share ratio for every torrent, when i'm done, i'm done. :)

• Administrator

Shouldn't it be used, if you are the only seeder with the complete data in the swarm?

I don't care what others upload or download, i don't count it, i have a maximum of 300% share ratio for every torrent, when i'm done, i'm done. :)

Not enough details or evidence or research is done over it, both by the experts and by me to say for sure. :P However, it suffices what princenarwal wants, however, it will not guarantee that he will get things back. What Super Seeding, however, guarantees is that the peers you are sharing the data with, will need to pass it forward, if they don't, they will not get more data.

I haven't checked if Super Seeding works on downloads though, it may not work, as it may pause download and start just seeding.

My aim is always seed 2.0, only then, download another torrent. Considering how I never use private trackers, I think seeding almost each and every torrent to 2.0 or 2.0+ is quite a feat. :P

But yeah, I don't care whether others are giving back or not. BitTorrent is designed in such a way that you will never come across anyone that will give you exactly the same or even near the amount you gave them, this is also the case where someone else is giving you more but you are not uploading to them enough, instead you are uploading to someone else.

SnakeMasteR

The X-Files? :lol:

I know exactly how it feels when you upload with the full bandwidth, so you can't even browse anywhere on the web and you bob up and down for hours getting 1 GB done. I had a similar idea using IPFILTER on some peers but it just doesn't make sense at all and the system can't work with that. And most of the time, if there are many people in the torrent that slow down their upload or connection at all, it will take longer for everyone leeching, there will always be some people that don't understand what bittorrent is or they just don't wanna seed at all or they really have a slow connection, sometimes it's just a bad day or the wrong time on the clock or the wrong file, i'm just glad that i seed my stuff back as long as my personal ratio and time allows it, no matter how long it takes and i feel better after giving back what i got. I hate depts. :P

• Administrator

The X-Files? :lol:

I know exactly how it feels when you upload with the full bandwidth, so you can't even browse anywhere on the web and you bob up and down for hours getting 1 GB done. I had a similar idea using IPFILTER on some peers but it just doesn't make sense at all and the system can't work with that. And most of the time, if there are many people in the torrent that slow down their upload or connection at all, it will take longer for everyone leeching, there will always be some people that don't understand what bittorrent is or they just don't wanna seed at all or they really have a slow connection, sometimes it's just a bad day or the wrong time on the clock or the wrong file, i'm just glad that i seed my stuff back as long as my personal ratio and time allows it, no matter how long it takes and i feel better after giving back what i got. I hate depts. :P

:P

That's why I use cFosSpeed. I upload at full speed (50KB/s :P ) with minor slowdowns in browsing. Cause as you know, browsing needs minor minor amount of uploads but lots of downloads. Unlike lots of you guys, it takes me about 8 hours, more or less, to complete 1GB seeding on a good torrent, so downloading a torrent happens in 10 hours for me, but takes atleast 4 days to seed it back properly.

Infact just take a look at my screenshots. I've lost some of my data in qBitTorrent, so not a lot to show, but current qBitTorrent data and old uTorrent data can be taken as a good example. Downloaded in left and ratio in far right:

CNSFV1z.png

E6w1nS8.png

hysS8Jo.png

princenarwal

Not enough details or evidence or research is done over it, both by the experts and by me to say for sure. :P However, it suffices what princenarwal wants, however, it will not guarantee that he will get things back. What Super Seeding, however, guarantees is that the peers you are sharing the data with, will need to pass it forward, if they don't, they will not get more data.

I haven't checked if Super Seeding works on downloads though, it may not work, as it may pause download and start just seeding.

My aim is always seed 2.0, only then, download another torrent. Considering how I never use private trackers, I think seeding almost each and every torrent to 2.0 or 2.0+ is quite a feat. :P

But yeah, I don't care whether others are giving back or not. BitTorrent is designed in such a way that you will never come across anyone that will give you exactly the same or even near the amount you gave them, this is also the case where someone else is giving you more but you are not uploading to them enough, instead you are uploading to someone else.

I get it now. I think its not good to count a single peer, what they are doing that's their doings.

Someone confused like me should start many torrents and check each torrent's share ratio. For some torrents It will be more and for others it will be less than 1.

If less then your download>upload

If more then your download<upload

e.g i am downloading 4 torrents and their share ratios are

SnakeMasteR

Infact just take a look at my screenshots. I've lost some of my data in qBitTorrent, so not a lot to show, but current qBitTorrent data and old uTorrent data can be taken as a good example. Downloaded in left and ratio in far right:

Good ratios, bro. :lol: My previous provider gave me a download rate ~350 KB/s and upload rate ~45 KB/s, that was the maximum and browsing wasn't possible then anymore, i had the same idea pausing all other torrents and having only one active getting the bandwidth, that is funny and the best way to do. :D Good to know that there are people that have good share ratios even without a supa dupa connection (and not cheating). But i believe these must be good torrents (with many leechers) or many other people with a smaller or regular connection. If you have a torrent full of webseeders, it's very hard for others and for you with a slower connection to get a good ratio or it takes much longer, so there are trackers where you theoretically need a seedbox and without it, you are lost. No matter how good you seed back, sadly.

• Administrator

@princenarwal: Good to hear that. :)

Good ratios, bro. :lol: My previous provider gave me a download rate ~350 KB/s and upload rate ~45 KB/s, that was the maximum and browsing wasn't possible then anymore, i had the same idea pausing all other torrents and having only one active getting the bandwidth, that is funny and the best way to do. :D Good to know that there are people that have good share ratios even without a supa dupa connection (and not cheating). But i believe these must be good torrents (with many leechers) or many other people with a smaller or regular connection. If you have a torrent full of webseeders, it's very hard for others and for you with a slower connection to get a good ratio or it takes much longer, so there are trackers where you theoretically need a seedbox and without it, you are lost. No matter how good you seed back, sadly.

Thanks. :)

I see. Well, 50KB/s is the max I can get around here from any ISPs I think.

Having only one active torrent is always the way to go on a slow connection. It gives proper concentration to each and every torrent and ensures less browsing slow downs.

The torrents with less ratio or no ratio at all are the example of torrents with lots of seeds but less number of peers. But unless any reason, I stick to my principals, seed until 2.0, no matter how much time it takes. The current torrent, I'm seeding from 10 days now, just 1.3GB, but hardly any peers. Haven't downloaded anything else, until I finish seeding this.

utorrent devs are not interested in adding option to ban peers.

You can use other torrent clients(vuze, qbittorrent) which have the option to ban beers.

OR just ignore those leechers and seed your torrents atleast 1:1