Kaspersky tops real world protection test

Mr Orus

Independent testing organisation AV-Comparatives has released the results of its real world protection test for March to June 2013. The tests use each security suite on its default settings and live URLs that point to malware executables along with drive-by exploits.

Using a total of 1,972 test cases over the four month period the results show that all of the major security packages offer high levels of protection. Bitdefender and Kaspersky top the charts with 99.9 percent protection levels, F-Secure also manages 99.9 but ranks slightly lower as it relied on user interaction to block three of the threats.

Of the other popular products, McAfee managed 99.3 percent, Bullguard 97.9 and AVG 96.3. Propping up the bottom of the chart is AhnLab on 90 percent below Microsoft Security Essentials which managed 92.5.

The report also looks at false alarms caused by wrongly blocked domains and files. Bitdefender does less well here with 24 wrong blocks, Kaspersky and Sophos wrongly blocked only one. The worst performers in the detection charts are, as you might expect, amongst the top performers here with AhnLab and Microsoft having no false alarms at all along with AVG and ESET.

The report's authors note, "The duty of security products is to protect against malicious sites/files, not to censor or limit the access only to well-known popular applications and websites. If the user deliberately chooses a high security setting, which warns that it may legitimately block some sites or files, then this may be considered acceptable. However, we do not regard it to be acceptable as a default setting, where the user has not been warned".

The message to take away from all of this is that the differences between mainstream security products are pretty small. Your choice really comes down to a balance between maximum protection and the inconvenience of false alarms.

You can download a PDF of the full test on the AV-Comparatives site.

Original Article Here

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienForce1

• TheAslan

• nIGHT

• kacali

mastershake

regardless i would not use kaspersky.... ever. its got great detection but otherwise not for me and now they removed all settings from the 2014 version so a totally dumbed down version imo (yes i tested it)

I would like to give another shot for BitDefender Total Security, last time it disabled my internet connection but maybe I did something wrong, and I'm not sure whether it will slow down my internet connection or not.

AlienForce1

I would like to give another shot for BitDefender Total Security, last time it disabled my internet connection but maybe I did something wrong, and I'm not sure whether it will slow down my internet connection or not.

I don`t know what problems do you have in your PC , but for me , with or without Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 the internet speed is almost the same (85 - 90 Mbps) :)

AlienForce1

Which is lite in resource use comparing the top three? Bitdefender, Kapersky or F-Secure? :showoff:

In my case , Bitdefender . You have to try and see ( different configurations - different results) .

F-Secure I don`t even consider - in fact I realy dislike it ( ~10 active processes !?! ) .

How much ram BitDefender eats? avast! eats only 8mb with its 3 processes.

This is out of topic question I know.

How much ram BitDefender eats? avast! eats only 8mb with its 3 processes.

This is out of topic question I know.

It's still on topic. I will like to know that too. ;)

Now, we need to know the number of active process and ram each of these AVs require.

Edited by nIGHT

AlienForce1

I don`t think that RAM consumption can be an issue today (except maybe 2-3 AV-s , like Trend Micro and a few others) . Today (almost) every PC has more than 2GB RAM .

Much more important is the load on computer , how do you feel your PC , how fast it responds and opens the applications after you instal a certain AV ...

Anyway , here is the answer to your questions (New Bitdefender IS , Windows 7 SP1 , 4GB RAM) :

DXhCj50.jpg

sJdKaOt.jpgBAhzKq7.jpg

I'm using BitDefender Total Security x64:

wNVqzxU.png

5 processes and 25944mb of ram.

Update:

There's some features in BitDefender which I don't need at all, like Wallet, Password Agent, Parental Control, Cloud Antispam, Online Storage and Device Anti-Theft.....so I'm not sure if this is the best antivirus for me, though I could disable Wallet because it will disable Password Agents.

Edited by TheAslan

AlienForce1

I'm using BitDefender Total Security x64:

5 processes and 25944mb of ram.

Update:

There's some features in BitDefender which I don't need at all, like Wallet, Password Agent, Parental Control, Cloud Antispam, Online Storage and Device Anti-Theft.....so I'm not sure if this is the best antivirus for me, though I could disable Wallet because it will disable Password Agents.

I disabled Wallet , Password Agent and Cloud Antispam right after the instalation of BD .

Parental Control is disabled by default (it can be enabled if user needs it) .

-> That`s why I have only 3 active processes of Bitdefender . :)

Before Bitdefender my PC was protected by KIS2013 , but I`m tired of searching for KIS keys and the protection level is the same (tests say that BD has even a higher level of protection !?! ) .

Also , my PC is faster now ... B)

Airstream_Bill

I only have 1gig of RAM on my little netbook with atom processor 5years old with Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 on it and it runs GREAT.

AlienForce1

Just curious how Qihoo 360 did worse then bitdefender when it uses their engine?

It`s not the latest version in these other products (look also at Bullguard and GData - they also use one BitDefender engine ...)