The Best AVI to MPEG converter?

Rudeboy2025

Any suggestions? I've been using TMPGEnc but now that I covert it there is no sound in the converted version.

• Replies 22
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

virtual dub works well and is fairly fast but cant convert wmv or asf

Ultra video converter will convert anything and is only slightly slower, and I happen to know that google is your friend for finding the key to success with that one.

Have Fun!

(p.s. dont install the new mega codec pack, when they moved the filters they screwed up the converting abilities of vdub)

what type of MPEG are you wanting to use exactly, and for what purpose (DVD, SVCD, etc.)? :P

i personally just use DVD2SVCD with CCE 2.67 for my SVCD conversions (it can do alot more than DVDs and SVCDs too) ;)

btw, just so yall know, DivX, XviD, etc. are all considered MPEG-4 streams. the only reason they use the AVI extension is because they use different stream headers. but other than that, it's still very similar to regular MPEG streams, minus all the compression enhancements ;)

Well trying to convert movies and make a VCD. I tried Cucusoft today and I did get sound but the sound came way later than the video. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

is it a divx/xvid movie with mp3 audio? if so, that's why, cause not all programs are fully compatible with ALL of the divx features (such as mp3 audio). so you'll need to open it in VirtualDubMod, go to the stream list, demux the mp3 stream, disable it, and do a direct stream copy for the video (so you should have basicly split the aduio and video into 2 files). now convert the mp3 to WAV with besweet w/ belight (use a pregain), open the new audio stripped video in regular virtualdub, go to audio > wav audio, and select the WAV you made with besweet. now make sure both audio and video are set to direct stream copy, and save your new avi...which should be fixed of any syncing problems (i have to do the samething for dvd2svcd) :P

any ways, i'd recomend using the SVCD (MPEG-2) format, because they usually return ALOT better quality compared to a regular VCD (MPEG-1). scene groups usually only use VCD for VHSRips and CAMs ;)

oh, and thanx for reminding me i was writing a DVD/SVCD guide...kinda been on the back burner for a few months now ;)

Uhh, I didn't understand all of that but I'll try to do what you posted. :P

One question though, will my DVD player be able to play SVCD? Because I really don't know the difference between VCD and SVCD.

i wouldn't be able to tell you, the only real way to know for sure is to test it :P

and like i said, i'm writing a guide for encoding DVDs and SVCDs, so that should clear up alot of things for you ;)

• 2 weeks later...

kind of a dumb question but what about a file that you download which is already MPG. Do you need to convert that to make a VCD?

is it a VCD or SVCD stream? you can tell by opening it in media player classic and looking at teh file properties...

either way, load it up in vcdeasy and create which ever image format is needed (i think it'll auto-detect what kind of image to create) ;)

Doesn't say that just says

Video: MPEG1 Video 352x240 (107:80) 29.97fps 1700Kbps

Video: äS

is it a VCD or SVCD stream? you can tell by opening it in media player classic and looking at teh file properties...

either way, load it up in vcdeasy and create which ever image format is needed (i think it'll auto-detect what kind of image to create) :rolleyes:

shouldnt a vcd of a movie (90 minutes show) be 2 or 3 cds in anycase? i dont remember seeing single disk vcd.

Doesn't say that just says

Video: MPEG1 Video 352x240 (107:80) 29.97fps 1700Kbps

Video: äS

that's a regular VCD, a SVCD would say MPEG2 :rolleyes:

@bb - there's a few people making 1CD movies, with the right matrix, filters and resizer you can get about VHS quality on 1CD (i prefer a 2-3CD SVCD telecine or dvdrip myself tho) :banned:

Wait, why do I need to create bin & cue files? I have no idea what they are anyway. I've always just converted the files into MPG version and then used the Make VCD Option in Nero and burned it. Works fine like that.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think that supports MODE2 burning (ie. 800MB on a 700MB CDR) :dance2:

MODE2 burning allows you to burn 800MB of data on a 700MB CDR by using the space normally reserved for normal CD error protection. because MPEG-1 & 2 include internal methods for dealing with read errors and there's really no reason to use it :unsure:

how big is the file you downloaded 700MB or 800MB, if it's 800MB does nero burn it sucessfully?

I guess I should have specified that it was a couple of files and each were less than a 100mb.

you should just be able to put em all in the add list and nero should add the proper track locations for it to play the seperate files normally. so you shouldn't have to worry about putting them in 1 big file :unsure:

just go to...

Nero > Nero Express > Video > VideoCD

...and add the files one by one and burn it :lol:

Guest oxygenuk
kind of a dumb question but what about a file that you download which is already MPG.  Do you need to convert that to make a VCD?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes for that u need... vcd gear

Archived