New Microsoft infographic gives Windows XP a retirement party

nsane.forums

• Administrator

What are anti-malware programs for?

I don't see any anti-virus or anti-malware software still supporting Windows 98 or Windows 2000, if you get my point.

Switching to Linux is far better option than to stick with non-patched system with obsolete security and other softwares.

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DKT27

• CPowell46

• speedpedal

• Whoopenstein

Top Posters In This Topic

Because very, very few people use or want to use Windows 98 or Windows 2000. There will be a lot of people wanting to use XP for a long time to come. Anti-malware programs will continue to be available as long as there is sufficient demand for them.

• Administrator

Because very, very few people use or want to use Windows 98 or Windows 2000. There will be a lot of people wanting to use XP for a long time to come. Anti-malware programs will continue to be available as long as there is sufficient demand for them.

Not necessarily. I've seen some people still using / loving Windows 98. But fine enough, there might not be that much of a demand. However, do expect huge numbers of XP users switching to Windows 7 or Windows 8 as soon as the support for XP stops. In that case, even antimalware softwares will have to consider whether they wanna invest time and money into XP anymore or not. In addition to that, as I've said, even browsers and other softwares may stop supporting XP.

I'm not going against any XP user / supporter here, I'm done doing that. However, what I'm suggesting is one to keep their options open, one way or the other, cause you know, entire world may not like Windows 8, but Windows 7 has a lot to love for them to switch it.

Whoopenstein

The two Dudes holding the Balloons look suspiciously like CoreDraw Clip art.

Yeah, I thought it looked familiar .But to give MS credit, it may have come from the Office 95 clipart pack. :troll:

DKT27, I don't say that XP is better than 7 and 8 in any objective sense. (I think we can all agree that every version of Windows, except perhaps ME, is better than Vista by any reasonable standard.) True, 7 and 8 require more resources than XP, but if those who like 7, and the two or three people who like 8, feel that they get something that is worth the additional resources, I won't argue with them. My preference for XP is subjective--I just don't like the later versions.

MidnightDistortions

I ditched Windows 98 once all my software works with XP. Everything i use so far works with Windows 7 (minus my totally obscure HP printer) but the only reason i have windows 7 is because i tried Vista out and it was ok, but was slow on the desktop i got with it & went Windows 7. There are many improvements with Windows 7, mainly the media side and has better security. The company i work for recently upgraded to Windows 7. It can be very expensive and time consuming for a company to upgrade their systems and most depend on productivity and reliability so moving to a new OS is always risky. They have to pay someone to test all their equipment/software for compatibility. I don't know what my company did but they are using the existing XP hardware for Windows 7. I have no idea whether they removed something but it has all the aero features and the OS runs smooth as silk.