About WinRAR rar5 new compression algorithm

jimmy_cy

Hello , i would like to hear your opinions about that new algorithm

Is it really working for you?, do you see a lot of smaller archives?

My opinion is that it sounds cool , i have previous installed one beta build but i didn't know what was that dictionary size so i immediately uninstalled it and re-installed the older stable one. So what are your thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

avast! Premier Antivirus: 140 MB (147,536,136 bytes)

RAR - Best - Solid Archive: 140 MB (147,735,863 bytes)

RAR5 - Best - Solid Archive: 140 MB (147,641,202 bytes)

ZIP - Best - No Available: 140 MB (147,420,464 bytes)

Final thoughts:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but uncompressed size looks smaller than compressed....

Final thoughts:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but uncompressed size looks smaller than compressed....

the problem is your taking a program thats already been compressed and recompressing it which for the most part just ads overhead to the file

Final thoughts:

the problem is your taking a program thats already been compressed and recompressing it which for the most part just ads overhead to the file

that program has been compressed but we can see rar5 is better than rar algorithm :)

• Administrator

The positives don't overweight the lack of compatibility with previous WinRAR versions.

Tried it on HitmanPro installer, which I think is uncompressed.

HitmanPro_x64.exe: 9,603 KB.

HitmanPro_x64 RAR.rar: 5,345 KB.

HitmanPro_x64 RAR5.rar: 5,338 KB.

HitmanPro_x64.zip: 6,078 KB.

HitmanPro_x64.7z: 5,229 KB.

.7z is the best :thumbsup:

:lmao:

• Administrator

Exactly. 9 out of 10 times, it will beat RAR in compression. Still, people (and the scene) keep using RAR.

Exactly. 9 out of 10 times, it will beat RAR in compression. Still, people (and the scene) keep using RAR.

RAR is more secure, I guess.

Here is my result :o copy (cloud strage app installer)

Winrar5beta7 7zip22beta

img51ee04dc0726c.png

:EDIT: Finally 7zip was won. Thank you DKT27.

• Administrator

Here is my result :o copy (cloud strage app installer)

Winrar5beta7 7zip22beta

Set 7-Zip at Ultra, LZMA2 and non-solid.

Copy-1.33.0486.exe: 46,715 KB.

Copy-1.33.0486 RAR.rar: 44,310 KB.

Copy-1.33.0486 RAR5.rar: 43,412 KB.

Copy-1.33.0486.7z: 43,224 KB.

I think, when comparing compression ratio, we should use a well-known standardized carefully chosen set of data, like for example the Silesia Corpus (http://sun.aei.polsl.pl/~sdeor/index.php?page=silesia). This reduce bias.

One of course can argue that one or another program is specifically tailored to achieve high ratio on this particular set of data.

Slightly off-topic, LZ4 compression is gaining momentum these days, in nearly realtime situations (filesystems, boot rom decompression ect)

Indeed, I love WinRAR because it offers recovery record, native archives split, and speed with its result are balanced, 7z surely compacts more, but it's too slow :(

• Administrator

@shroeder: 7-Zip gives me better compression 9 out of 10 times.

@x3r0: Until recently, 7-Zip always used to beat WinRAR in compression speed on my system. Infact, multicore support on WinRAR was added only not so long ago.

most installers, stetups are already compressed very high using 7zip algo (inno, nsis). If u compress the setups again it will not bring any gain in compression as the installation executable already is. Thats why I posted most of the download links as exe without compressing them again.

I also tried to compress .m4a (alac) music files (350MB in total), tried all those compress methods but still it showed 350MB, only few bytes was compressed.

This is very odd.

I also tried to compress .m4a (alac) music files (350MB in total), tried all those compress methods but still it showed 350MB, only few bytes was compressed.

This is very odd.

It is no use compressing media files.

SnakeMasteR

This is very odd.

It's like compressing MP3's or AVI's, you will rarely have any gain from already compressed files in containers and most of the time, the compressed archive will be bigger than the compressed file in it. :lol:

The positives don't overweight the lack of compatibility with previous WinRAR versions.

Tried it on HitmanPro installer, which I think is uncompressed.

HitmanPro_x64.exe: 9,603 KB.

HitmanPro_x64 RAR.rar: 5,345 KB.

HitmanPro_x64 RAR5.rar: 5,338 KB.

HitmanPro_x64.zip: 6,078 KB.

HitmanPro_x64.7z: 5,229 KB.

ultimate winner 7zip :P

RAR5 use LZ77

7-Zip can use LZMA

LZMA is enhanced LZ77 with larger memory and arithmetic coding

RAR use 128-bit AES encryption

RAR5 use 256-bit AES encryption

7-Zip use 256-bit AES encryption

with LZ77 algo we can get better compresion ratio for similar or same files

get some file and made copy, then compress both with old and with new rar and see difference

or download for example vlc player without installers and unpack, for example versions 2.07/2.06/2.05/2.04/2.03

than compress all with different algo/formats

8cl5.png

• Administrator

This is very odd.

I think alac is already compressed (but without any quality loss). What you need to compress is not alac or flac, but wav files. Alac and Flac files are like compressed form of wav files.

Archived