Microsoft: The desktop UI will never go away completely

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Microsoft Chief Evangelist Steven Guggenheimer is quoted in a new interview that the desktop UI in Windows will never "go away completely" as some apps still need keyboard and mouse controls.

NPV6snD.jpg

Microsoft's launch of Windows 8 in 2012 introduced the PC world to its Modern user interface, made mostly for touchscreen display interactions. Many PC users, however, still interact with Windows 8 primarily with the traditional desktop UI. You might think that Microsoft would like to do away with the desktop at some point, but a company executive is quoted as saying that might never happen.

A TechCrunch article quotes Microsoft Chief Evangelist Steven Guggenheimer saying, at least at first, "Over time, it’s likely to go away." However, the article mentions that Guggenheimer quickly changed that statement, saying he was not sure if the desktop UI will "ever go away completely."

Certainly applications such as Excel spreadsheets or advanced 3D modeling programs will still need to be controlled mostly by the mouse-keyboard combination on a desktop interface for a long time to come. Guggenheirmer states that at the moment there's "this weird balance between [the desktop] ending up being less critical over time, but it probably never goes away completely. Or if it does, it’s hard to predict when."

The interview was conducted last week during the Imagine Cup 2013 finals. On that subject, Guggenheirmer said that while some aspect of the student technology competition "are phenomenal," he added that "some aspects don’t scale as well as we’d like." He hints that he would like to see more of the students who enter the contest turn their creations into full start up companies, rather than just the finalists.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it ever became just a limited desktop under metro app or will be completely removed, business sector will surely immediately shift to some other OS.

My company is already investing a lot to customized "a particular" Linux OS to become our main server and soon as a front-end system.

We were surprised that almost 80% of our needs were already been in the internet, though most of it is free if it is use as a personal system only .

Consistency, usability and reliability were high on the scale of consideration on selecting our future OS, so I guess Wind0ws no longer served our company's needs. :P

Dear Microsoft,

A bicycle is not a car.

A desktop is not a tablet.

Yours sincerely,

The Universe (except Microsoft)

MidnightDistortions

PC sales are slumping and Microsoft is giving up on trying to improve on the desktop. In reality this is why i am holding onto Windows 7 as long as i can for now. I have not found a single reason to upgrade to Windows 8 other than there's a few more years of support ahead of Windows 7 but otherwise i've been using Linux more. Of course if i needed Windows 8 for whatever reason i'd just lock it down to the desktop using a start menu alternative but i'm not spending money on something that actually needs to be tweaked in order to enjoy it. After reading this it sounds like Windows 9 will be like Windows 8. Hopefully PC manufacturers like HP and Dell are coming up with alternative OS ideas & if they decide to use Linux, we might have the beginning of a new PC era that isn't completely run by Microsoft.

Microsoft will soon realize they made a fatal mistake by forcing users to a new format instead of appealing to desktop users with a proper desktop UI with the start menu and will soon lose a good portion, unless these users are using the start menu alternatives. There's still a good number of users out there who are not aware of that ability and so MS will see a decline in OS sales/usage.

PC sales are slumping and Microsoft is giving up on trying to improve on the desktop. In reality this is why i am holding onto Windows 7 as long as i can for now. I have not found a single reason to upgrade to Windows 8 other than there's a few more years of support ahead of Windows 7 but otherwise i've been using Linux more. Of course if i needed Windows 8 for whatever reason i'd just lock it down to the desktop using a start menu alternative but i'm not spending money on something that actually needs to be tweaked in order to enjoy it. After reading this it sounds like Windows 9 will be like Windows 8. Hopefully PC manufacturers like HP and Dell are coming up with alternative OS ideas & if they decide to use Linux, we might have the beginning of a new PC era that isn't completely run by Microsoft.

Microsoft will soon realize they made a fatal mistake by forcing users to a new format instead of appealing to desktop users with a proper desktop UI with the start menu and will soon lose a good portion, unless these users are using the start menu alternatives. There's still a good number of users out there who are not aware of that ability and so MS will see a decline in OS sales/usage.

+ 1

Archived