Tell us a trick that you think, you know it only!

rudrax

• Replies 83
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check if you CPU overheats without any third party product

• Run command prompt as admin
  • Type in
    wmic cpu get CurrentClockSpeed, MaxClockSpeed /every:1
    and hit enter. Now it will show you CPU's Current frequency and Maximum frequency.
  • Now, leave the previous window as it is and open another command prompt as admin and type in
    winsat cpuformal
    and hit enter. This will put load on the CPU for a few seconds and left it as it is.
  • Now switch back to the first command prompt window and and observe the current and maximum frequency. If the current frequency drops and keeps on dropping than the Maximum frequency, then your CPU is overheating. But if the CPU current frequency rises and keeps on rising towards the maximum frequency or constantly remains at maximum CPU frequency, your CPU is fine.

if nothing happens ? i mean its stable as what it was in start...nothing drops nor rise its like 1188 - 2200

Check if you CPU overheats without any third party product

• Run command prompt as admin
  • Type in
    wmic cpu get CurrentClockSpeed, MaxClockSpeed /every:1
    and hit enter. Now it will show you CPU's Current frequency and Maximum frequency.
  • Now, leave the previous window as it is and open another command prompt as admin and type in
    winsat cpuformal
    and hit enter. This will put load on the CPU for a few seconds and left it as it is.
  • Now switch back to the first command prompt window and and observe the current and maximum frequency. If the current frequency drops and keeps on dropping than the Maximum frequency, then your CPU is overheating. But if the CPU current frequency rises and keeps on rising towards the maximum frequency or constantly remains at maximum CPU frequency, your CPU is fine.

if nothing happens ? i mean its stable as what it was in start...nothing drops nor rise its like 1188 - 2200

1188 Mhz is the current clock speed of your CPU and 2200 Mhz is the rated clock speed. Did you execute the 2nd command line in different command window while the first command line is running?

Edit: If nothing happens, your CPU is fixed at 1188 Mhz by Admin or by your OEM.

1188 Mhz is the current clock speed of your CPU and 2200 Mhz is the rated clock speed. Did you execute the 2nd command line in different command window while the first command line is running?

Edit: If nothing happens, your CPU is fixed at 1188 Mhz by Admin or by your OEM.

yup i follow the steps as what u said....

my cpu is fixed by admin.. its my pc and me only admin of it..when i fixed this ! :huh: or its done by OEM.

watzever,is this current clock speed ok or should i do any changes

More the CPU clock means the more power you get out of it and the more the CPU heats up. Unlocking the reserved clock will make your system faster but if the clock is kept lower by your OEM, that means, they have'nt provided the kind of cooling mechanism for the generated heat at the optimum clock of the CPU. In that case, unlocking the reserved clock may cause thermal issue for you. If you do not have any issue with your computer till now, you shouldn't play with its clock, IMO.

SET DIRCMD=0

Will make all directories hidden however still accessible, to get them back SET DIRCMD=

Component Services = dcomcnfg
Wordpad = write
Windows Magnifier = magnify
User Accounts = netplwiz or control userpasswords2
Stored User Names and Passwords = credwiz
Authorization Manager= azman.msc

mmmh! interesting... but will try it somehow later.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a trick how to make a "Invisible folder" Maybe someone already knows how to do it but here it is :lol:

Edit: I forgot this :lol: Right click - Rename - Than hold "alt" and type "255" with numeric keyboard :D Sorry :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I recalled my DOS days, we used to do lots of ALT+combinations to protect and hide folders.

• 2 months later...

Get gadgets back in windows 8

• Download and instal this freeware
  • Choose gadgets of your choice from here

• 1 month later...

Speed up Firefox execution time

I was observing firefox to be slow to execute with time. A freshly installed copy starts so fast and periodically becomes slower. It reaches even 15-20 secs sometimes to start after you click it. I use speedyfox, never keep history more than a month, use just 5 or 6 addons which I can't avoid and clean/defrag/optimize the system regularly. Nothing of these helped towards the start up time of firefox.

Then I found a trick which helped me in this regard.

• Go to the installed directory of firefox
  • Right-click on the firefox app
  • Go to send to -> desktop (create shortcut)
  • Now a shortcut for firefox will be created on the desktop
  • Right-click on the shortcut and click on properties from the context menu
  • Copy the address below for default firefox installation

- for x64

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent

- for x86

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent
For portable locations, specify the path manually
  • Now paste it in the highlighted area as in the image below

screenshot_1394766021.png

• Then click Apply and Ok
  • Now move the shortcut to the location shown in the image below

screenshot_13947660211.jpg

• Restart system to see effect.

What this trick does, see here. This trick may increase system boot up time by 1 or 2 secs or may not even effect if you have faster hardwares but it will considerably improve firefox start up time.

This trick is from Mozilla's own support forum

Speed up Firefox execution time

I was observing firefox to be slow to execute with time. A freshly installed copy starts so fast and periodically becomes slower. It reaches even 15-20 secs sometimes to start after you click it. I use speedyfox, never keep history more than a month, use just 5 or 6 addons which I can't avoid and clean/defrag/optimize the system regularly. Nothing of these helped towards the start up time of firefox.

Then I found a trick which helped me in this regard.

• Go to the installed directory of firefox
  • Right-click on the firefox app
  • Go to send to -> desktop (create shortcut)
  • Now a shortcut for firefox will be created on the desktop
  • Right-click on the shortcut and click on properties from the context menu
  • Copy the address below for default firefox installation

- for x64

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent

- for x86

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent
For portable locations, specify the path manually
  • Now paste it in the highlighted area as in the image below

screenshot_1394766021.png

• Then click Apply and Ok
  • Now move the shortcut to the location shown in the image below

screenshot_13947660211.jpg

• Restart system to see effect.

What this trick does, see here. This trick may increase system boot up time by 1 or 2 secs or may not even effect if you have faster hardwares but it will considerably improve firefox start up time.

This trick is from Mozilla's own support forum

Glitters and even very well, but don't contain gold.

• 3 months later...

Tweak Windows 8.1 File Explorer

Windows 8.1's File Explorer comes with two (may be more) features that may annoy someone. Those two features are highlighted in the image below:

screenshot_1404008785.png

To remove the OneDrive feature, you will need to navigate to the registry location
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8E74D236-7F35-4720-B138-1FED0B85EA75}
and do as directed in the image below. Don't know how to take ownership? Just ask me.

screenshot_1404014533.png

Then 6 new library folders. For that just merge the registry entry from this link - (Source - AskVG.com)

After successfully applying these two tweak, your Windows 8.1 File Explorer should look like the image below

screenshot_1404008988.png

Tweak Windows 8.1 File Explorer

Windows 8.1's File Explorer comes with two (may be more) features that may annoy someone. Those two features are highlighted in the image below:

screenshot_1404008785.png

To remove the OneDrive feature, you will need to navigate to the registry location
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8E74D236-7F35-4720-B138-1FED0B85EA75}
and do as directed in the image below. Don't know how to take ownership? Just ask me.

screenshot_1404014533.png

Then 6 new library folders. For that just merge the registry entry from this link - (Source - AskVG.com)

After successfully applying these two tweak, your Windows 8.1 File Explorer should look like the image below

screenshot_1404008988.png

Those 6 Folders Will Come Back To Haunt You Once You Do A Windows Update ( i.e. Patch Tuesday)

After Which The Registry Entry Would Need To Be Applied Again (Maybe You Could Add This Up)

A Better Alternative Would Be The OldNewExplorer. ( One Time Process Done And Set )

Source : http://www.askvg.com/freeware-to-bring-all-windows-7-style-classic-features-back-in-windows-8-1-explorer-this-pc/ :hehe:

Programs like OldNewExplorer are very handy when you search for reay made solutions. But these kind of programs starts with windows and hooks with the file explorer causing some performance lag. So, I won't mind editing the specific registry entry again if patch tuesday changes any.

A Better Alternative Would Be The OldNewExplorer.

Programs like OldNewExplorer are very handy when you search for reay made solutions. But these kind of programs starts with windows and hooks with the file explorer causing some performance lag. So, I won't mind editing the specific registry entry again if patch tuesday changes any.

Speaking strictly anecdotally, I can personally attest to the fact that OldNewExlorer doesn't affect performance one bit. You can read a lot of good things about O-N-E on GHacks as well, and Martin Brinkmann doesn't usually talk nonsense unlike most tech 'journalists' (paid trolls).

In any case, it's created by Tihiy (Stanislav Zinukhov), the creator of StartIsBack, which I think most of us on Nsane agree is by far and wide, the best Start Menu replacement on Windows 8/8.1 by an order of magnitude. Identical to Win7, without ANY drag on system performance whatsoever.

I use XYPlorer on one of my installations, but also quite like the much hated explorer ribbon and find it fairly useful. There are some annoyances indeed, but that comes with the territory of Windows 8/8.1 I suppose LOL! :P

That's a theoritical lag. You won't feel that in modern hardwares. It may eat a few clock cycles which won't cause any lag practically but it's sure that it is an extra feature to windows that starts with windows and hooks up with the File Explorer. But that is some load - may be a fly in elephant's tail.

No doubt, tihiy's programs are best in class but why instal it if you tweak the thing on your own? Using ready-made things, you learn nothing. You will always remain a dumb a$$ lazy papa :tooth:

That's a theoritical lag. You won't feel that in modern hardwares. It may eat a few clock cycles which won't cause any lag practically but it's sure that it is an extra feature to windows that starts with windows and hooks up with the File Explorer. But that is some load - may be a fly in elephant's tail.

No doubt, tihiy's programs are best in class but why instal it if you tweak the thing on your own? Using ready-made things, you learn nothing. You will always remain a dumb a$$ lazy papa :tooth:

You're scaring me Rudrax. It's as if I typed out your entire post LOL! If I didn't know better, I'd have thought "rudrax" is my second account on Nsane LOL! :P

I agree with you 100% on both points. Especially the "fly in elephant's tail" part LMFAO! :lmao:

But in all seriousness, I really like that second part where you exhort one to go DIY by saying that ready made solutions is the best way of staying dumb. Couldn't have put it any better myself. I try to stay away from ready made solutions to the extent possible. Mostly because you learn something while doing it yourself step by step and no knowledge ever goes to waste. :yes:

What's more, it whets your curiosity. I feel sad for people who aren't curious enough to ask why this and why not that. How this and how not that. I know that people with higher IQ levels are more inquisitive and more receptive to new information, but as someone who assembles and repairs his (and sometimes his friends'/cousins') PCs and does basic repairs on his bikes and cars including but not limited to changing the oil and air filters, spark plugs, brake pads, flushing the steering and transmission fluids, etc. amongst other DIY projects with very little theoretical know how in applied mechanics, I still find it hard to fathom why an overwhelming majority of people will spend so much money on the local PC guy for basic issues like not being able to open a particular file format to watch a movie (almost always a codec issue LOL) or go to the local auto repair garage because the vehicle is stuttering before starting (almost always the battery or the spark plug).

I'm equally flabbergasted by people who buy pre-built desktops or use default everything on their PCs and phones etc. Oh well. I guess they will never know the joys of DIY be it software or hardware. :yes:

Never one to consider that my tricks are exclusive to myself - well, I like to use CCleaner as a Trial Reset. 8)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Load pages without images in Firefox

Sometimes it may come very handy while browsing web on a slow connection and you just want textual information out of it.

Download this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-show-hide/ tiny (16 KB) addon and instal. Press Shift+Z to toggle image ON/OFF.

• 2 weeks later...

Load pages without images in Firefox

Sometimes it may come very handy while browsing web on a slow connection and you just want textual information out of it.

Download this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-show-hide/ tiny (16 KB) addon and instal. Press Shift+Z to toggle image ON/OFF.

Looking for the same solution for IE 11. Any ideas / reference !

Archived