Adblock Plus lets advertisements squeak past for a fee

anuseems

Adblock is a product that millions of people rely on to facilitate a clutter-free surfing experience despite the fact that advertisers and site owners rely on revenue from these services to stay afloat. Its not perfect as even with the premium Adblock Plus, some ads still do get through but why exactly is that?

As it turns out, there is an acceptable ads filter that permits certain advertisements to be displayed by default. What has people up in arms, however, is how Adblock selects which advertisers can squeak past the barricade. The company charges a hefty premium for advertisers to land on a whitelisting service, something they dont exactly hide as its mentioned right on their FAQ.

Adblock whitelists select small blogs and websites for free but in order to run the service (financially speaking), the company allows some larger properties that serve advertisements to pay a fee in order to let their ads through.

The problem is that tech giants like Google can easily afford to pay for Adblock whitelisting while small and mid-sized companies that wish to get their name out there simply cant spare the money.

Having said that, the acceptable ads feature can be disabled by the user but thats not really whats at issue here. Theres clearly a conflict of interest not to mention there will surely be some backlash from Adblock Plus users that were previously unaware of this practice. It also brings into question the merits of online advertising in general all topics that we will likely be hearing more about in the coming days and weeks.

@ http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/06/google-and-others-reportedly-pay-adblock-plus-to-show-you-ads-anyway/

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Thanks for the neutral article, the other article I had read on the fanboy site NeoWin had concentrated solely on "shady practices of Google", whereas this article mentions that there's a lot to it than just Google.

Having said all that, I don't see this an issue. One, it can be easily disabled with unchecking of "Allow non-intrusive advertising", and two, the reason 90% of user based websites on the internet run only because of ads.

A little white cow is better than a little white lie. Pun intended.

stylemessiah

While the article is good, its been known for a long while that AdBlock Plus allowed some advertising through..

As DKT27 says, you can untick "Allow non-intrusive advertising", or you can use Adblock Edge, which avoids the need to do this and actually fixes some bugs in AdBlock Plus. Been using it for over a year

Bizarre™

you can use Adblock Edge, which avoids the need to do this and actually fixes some bugs in AdBlock Plus. Been using it for over a year

Indeed.

A little white cow is better than a little white lie. Pun intended.

that what i wanted to reply also , use ad muncher bitches ! :D :D

I'm currently using Adblock Edge as well. I recently tried 'Hellboy Firewall' and want to use it exclusivly as it's supposedly so 'light', but I couldn't get it to work. I had it enabled, but lots of ads were getting through.. Not sure what the problem was.

Don't forget to whitelist our beloved nsane! :D

Tweety.Abd

Thanks for the neutral article, the other article I had read on the fanboy site NeoWin had concentrated solely on "shady practices of Google", whereas this article mentions that there's a lot to it than just Google.

Having said all that, I don't see this an issue. One, it can be easily disabled with unchecking of "Allow non-intrusive advertising", and two, the reason 90% of user based websites on the internet run only because of ads.

This is true, but some ads are very obtrusive and annoying. I like the ads on nsaneforums, they're clean, organized and streamlined.

So what, do you give anything to ABP for saving you for annoying adds out there?

• Administrator

This is true, but some ads are very obtrusive and annoying. I like the ads on nsaneforums, they're clean, organized and streamlined.

That's the point. The whitelist or the non-intrusive ads list that Adblock plus guys have created, is said to contain only non-obstructive and non-annoying ads.

Archived