Comodo Firewall question

insanedown58

insanedown58

I just removed a ransomware in my teacher's laptop that was caused by a virus that came inside the school network. I was going to install CFW but then thought that if my teacher sees the Allow or Block alert he'd be freaked out. I'm wondering if I set the HIPS to always Allow Requests, will it still remove things that it sees as threats or just let it be?

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Technology

What is CFW and what was the objective behind using CFW?

CFW = Comodo Fire Wall, I think he made a mistake by mentioning CFW. It should be CF or Comodo Firewall.

Technology

I just removed a ransomware in my teacher's laptop that was caused by a virus that came inside the school network. I was going to install CFW but then thought that if my teacher sees the Allow or Block alert he'd be freaked out. I'm wondering if I set the HIPS to always Allow Requests, will it still remove things that it sees as threats or just let it be?

Remember Comodo Firewall is the best firewall around compare to others. Comodo Firewall has lowest alerts as possible compare to others even though it has HIPS. Even in the safeguard mode it has the lowest alerts. But if you put Comodo Firewall into ''Always Allow'' mode then it will ignore dangerous threats and allow everything. The alerts in Comodo Firewall mostly comes from HIPS module rather from Firewall. It is better not to have it, if you putting it in ''Always Allow'' mode. I doubt it will even give you any alerts or even block any threats since it is in Allow mode. Is like tell the security guard to allow everyone from bad to good person in the building without checking for threats because you told him so.

I will suggest tell and teach your teacher, how to use Comodo Firewall, it is not rocket science. And remember when Comodo Firewall see a high and dangerous threat, it will automatically give it high alert or block it.

:lol: And so with Avira Suite FireWall :rolleyes:

But if you put Comodo Firewall into ''Always Allow'' mode then it will ignore dangerous threats and allow everything.

Who fed you with that philosophy? :)

:shit: If I remember :lol:

Must be in my HayDay with Softexia & the Forbiddin Forums :lol: :lmao:

Technology

But if you put Comodo Firewall into ''Always Allow'' mode then it will ignore dangerous threats and allow everything.

common sense did.

common sense did.

Hmmm, looks like it was wisely said that common sense is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . not so common. :coolwink:

Leave everything in the default configuration. Right click the tray and activate game mode permanently. CF will only break and alert for severe threats and default deny everything else. Beware though, legitimate programs are not always on the default trusted vendors list.

I'm sure if you tell your client to allow only what he knows and block the rest without remembering his selection (deselect the box once and the program doesn't remember the choice) He'll feel in control of his computer.

stylemessiah

I still use the old v5 of CFW, v6 is crap because they turned it into a fischer price gui that leaves you less informed

Rant over, by default CFW will set itself to reduce the amount of alerts you get, no need to fiddle too much

For me i always turn off the HIPS/AntiVirus stuff as i use other programs for that, i just use the firewall

My interwebs path is

squid > cfw > NOD32 > Browser

Works just fine here, even with the additonal latency of mobile broadband :)

insanedown58

Checkbox Options

• Do NOT show popup alerts - Configure whether or not you want to be notified when the HIPS encounters a malware. Choosing 'Do NOT show popup alerts' will minimize disturbances but at some loss of user awareness. (Default = Enabled)

If you choose not to show alerts then you have a choice of default responses that CIS should automatically take – either 'Block Requests' or 'Allow Requests'.

I understand this as the HIPS will not Ask me what to do with the threat, instead it will do the automated instruction and that is to "Allow Requests". Do correct me if I understood it wrong.

Archived