Why use an antivirus with firewall?

Boops

Boops!!! Just use PrivateFirewall Pro Free, works perfect :rolleyes: :)

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boops!!! Just use PrivateFirewall Pro Free, works perfect :rolleyes: :)

Thanks, but I intend to open this thread was to find out if you really are no grounds to show that the firewall of Windows 8 is not safe, and we must use an antivirus suite, rather than a virus.

I use Outpost Firewall (cheap lifetime license) but at the moment using the whole suite, it was free.

My reason for a software firewall is to block apps from calling home. I find it the easiest method when using medicated programs.

Also have a router firewall, so am very protected in that sense. W7 and I suppose W8 fw are both pretty good. Good enough for the 'regular' pc user. If you want to make your own rules for specific ports and software then you'll be better off with one with more options.

A two in 1 type of security suite (antivirus with firewall) ussually isn't preffered, not by me anyways. Get your antivirus wherever, then download a sepperate firewall if you like, or if you feel the need for it.

I've always used KIS, NIS, ESS. That is, Antivirus Suite, but I've noticed that bring more features than I need.

I have the impression of being influenced by the need to have an all in one, without seeing the potential of what you already have.

• 2 weeks later...
Maxhedroom

I will never use any firewall that uses an app whitelist that allows for automatic rule setting...in other words it lets 'approved' apps have net access. I use NIS but with the 'smart' firewall set to manual so I get asked anytime something new wants net access. Nothing phones home unless I let it.

Archived