necessary services

chrisTM

Hello.

Does anyone know the essential Windows Vista services necessary for proper torrent activity? Some of us have leaned our running services in Vista and may have compromised our download/seed efficiency.

Any definitive answers out there?

chrisTM out

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, wait I'm not sure I fully understand what the question is. Can you elaborate just a little more?

• Administrator

It shouldn't really make a difference to downloads if you can access the internet you can download from Bittorrent (pretty much). Which services have you disabled and have some concern about?

Hello.

Sorry for the delay.

In the Windows services, I have disabled, or switched to manual, several of the services based upon the advice given in a reputable Vista tweaking guide. In the meantime, I noticed reduced (yellow triangle) efficiency in my activities in utorrent. As I do not have dedicated internet service (hotspots only), I have arrived at the decision that my issue is more likely to be with router/porting. I have still occasionally gotten the green check. On the outside chance that I might be mistaken, I was curious as to the Windows services that I definitely need for proper torrent activity. I am pretty experienced, and the problematic service(s) would have to relatively obscure, hence my need for more definite information.

Thanks again.

chrisTM out.

Um what do you mean by this can you explain some more?

Hello.

Sorry for the delay.

In the Windows services, I have disabled, or switched to manual, several of the services based upon the advice given in a reputable Vista tweaking guide. In the meantime, I noticed reduced (yellow triangle) efficiency in my activities in utorrent. As I do not have dedicated internet service (hotspots only), I have arrived at the decision that my issue is more likely to be with router/porting. I have still occasionally gotten the green check. On the outside chance that I might be mistaken, I was curious as to the Windows services that I definitely need for proper torrent activity. I am pretty experienced, and the problematic service(s) would have to relatively obscure, hence my need for more definite information.

Thanks again.

chrisTM out.

using peer guardian? or any sort of ipfilter.dat?

using ess v3+ plays around with utorrent if not configured right.

make sure utorrent ports is fully open.

I don't think any service will cause connection probs

Hello.

I don't have any of that. I am using NOD32 v4 configured for max compatibility.

chrisTM out.

Hello.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks again.

chrisTM out.

using peer guardian? or any sort of ipfilter.dat?

using ess v3+ plays around with utorrent if not configured right.

make sure utorrent ports is fully open.

I don't think any service will cause connection probs

• Administrator

Do you have a router? What are the specific settings in ESS enabled for utorrent.exe?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Sorry for the delay. Utorrent 1.8.2, TCPOptimizer 2.0.6, Vista sp1, Windows Defender, NOD32 .417 A/V, no software firewall, hotspot's router, UPnP.

The problem is not service-related.

It might be my hotspot. Time Warner service.

Situation seems worse since installation of NOD32 A/V.

Been sharing successfully for years, even at this same hotspot. System configured properly for the situation. I've achieved proper DL speed. Upload horrible. Struggle for any activity, and I know the tricks, mostly since NOD32 installation. Running NOD32 in passive browser mode. I guess I'll have to try disabling A/V during sharing. Green check becoming virtually non-existent. I feel like NOD32 thinks they no more than me and forces me to play by their rules. THEY APPARENTLY KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM without caring about fixing. Well, at least I'm safe from infection...

chrisTM out.

Do you have a router? What are the specific settings in ESS enabled for utorrent.exe?

Archived