Gezi Park Resistance

november_ra1n

november_ra1n

Gezi Park Resistance

This is not a ' Turk Spring'. This is a movement of the people, no political parties, no institutions, people only.

History

At the grounds of today's Taksim Gezi Park, a military barracks was constructed in 1806. Named the Halil Pasha Artillery Barracks (Turkish: Halil Paşa Topçu Kışlası), it was a grand building designed in Ottoman, Russian and Indian architectural style. The barracks suffered considerable damage during the 31 March Incident in 1909.

In 1936, the French architect and city planner Henri Prost (1874–1959) was invited to Turkey by President Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. He was tasked with the preparation of Istanbul's rough-cut urban planning, which lasted until 1951. In accordance with Prost's planning, the barracks building was demolished in 1940 by the city governor and mayor Lütfi Kırdar (in office 1938–1949).[2]
Before the demolition took place, the internal courtyard of the barracks was rearranged and used as the Taksim Stadium. Turkey national football team played their first ever official international match in this stadium against the Romanian team on October 26, 1923 that ended up with a 2–2 draw.[2]
Prost's city plan, which came into force in 1939, provided amongst others a large continuous green park, called Park No. 2, covering an area of 30 ha (74 acres) between the neighborhoods of Taksim, Nişantaşı and Maçka extending to Bosphorus including the Dolmabahçe Valley. The large park was intended to offer recreation and green space to Istanbul's residents as well as to the visitors when the city has grown further.
The construction of the park was completed in 1943, and it was opened under the name "İnönü Park" in honor of the second president İsmet İnönü (in office 1938–1950) by Lütfi Kırdar personally. The covering area of the park diminished in later years with the building of big hotels in the zone. Nevertheless, the park remained an important recreational area within the downtown of the city, and its outlook changed often with restorations.

2013 resistance against redeveloping the site

From 28 May 2013, the plans of replacing Taksim Gezi Park with a reconstruction of the historic Taksim Military Barracks (demolished in 1940), with the possibility of housing a shopping mall. The protests developed into riots when a group occupying the park was attacked by police. The subjects of the protests have since broadened beyond the development of Taksim Gezi Park, developing into wider anti-government demonstrations.[3] The protests have also spread to other cities in Turkey, and protests have been seen in other countries with significant Turkish communities.[

In 31 May 2013, police suppressed the protesters with tear gas, arrested at least 60 people and injured hundreds.[4][6] The police action received wide attention online.[7][8] Protesters organized and gathered on İstiklal Avenue, reaching thousands on the night of 31 May.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taksim_Gezi_Park

vkuc.jpg

zkbf.jpg

ko0c.jpg

3brt.jpg

Here We Are: The Imagination of Public Space in Gezi Park >>>

Protesters #OccupyGezi to save Istanbul park >>>

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gezi Park Resistance

This is not a ' Turk Spring'. This is a movement of the people, no political parties, no institutions, people only.

This is not completely true. There are all kinds of illegal groups as well as innocent people in Gezipark.

november_ra1n

This is not completely true. There are all kinds of illegal groups as well as innocent people in Gezipark.

Well those illegal group ! may be illegal for you or some politicians eyes, even it is they are still people there is no justification using force against them with this level and even Police Fire Tear Gas into hospitals and hotel reception that is not surely legal in terms of world eyes!

:blink: Looks like same things in my Country :think:

november_ra1n

What about shutting police?

Do not believe what politician telling you bro they mostly lies about everything, that is my opinion, there is no prove any protester gun shot the police but one of the protested killed by the police that has been proven by the hospital.

Police only use force and stand by government against people, rich against poor in the history book.

What about shutting police?

Do not believe what politician telling you bro they mostly lies about everything, that is my opinion, there is no prove any protester gun shot the police but one of the protested killed by the police that has been proven by the hospital.

Police only use force and stand by government against people, rich against poor in the history book.

I can't belive politician. I am believing what I see. Killing is killing and killer is killer.

november_ra1n

I can't belive politician. I am believing what I see. Killing is killing and killer is killer.

%80 of TV channel run or control by Turkey’s ruling AK party therefore they only show you what they want and the way they want in Turkey unless if you are into protester area better follow independent source such as world press media then you will see the reality however those %20 of TV station scared to show you everything cause pressure of AKP party in the future.

november_ra1n

I didn't tell about T.V. I told about what I saw with my own eyes.

Did you see different then some of those youtube video and pictures you can largely find on internet if it is educate us what we have been missing!

I saw furious men everywhere. They damaged shops, banks, parks, streets. I always hated behavior like those.

I saw furious men everywhere. They damaged shops, banks, parks, streets. I always hated behavior like those.

Changing the world or a country always comes with a price.

I'm proud that turkey people stand to fight for their own freedom.

They should never allow oppressors to continue to dominate their world. No one has the right to oppress anyone though.

Same thing happened in my country. We even lighted candles and our women gave flowers to the police.

We sang songs of freedom.

"

Chorus:

Even birds that are free to fly

Cage them and they shall cry,
How much more for country so beautiful
Would She not yearn to be free?
(Name of country) mine that I treasure,
Cradle of my tears and poverty,
My aspiration is,
To see you truly free!"
These songs are very nice in my country's language. hehe!
"Our People`s (replaced to protect my nation hehe!) Gift to the World"
"I will not allow you to be lost again
I will not allow for you to be taken away again
We`ve wished for our freedom for so long
We won`t let it be taken away again
Hand-in-hand, thousands of people
It`s so good to be human(replaced to protect my nation hehe!)
Bound together by a single driving force
Never again, will we let ourselves be enslaved
Ref:
Our People`s (replaced to protect my nation hehe!) gift to the world,
A peaceful way towards change.
Truth, freedom, justice
Can be reached without violence
As long as we all stand united
Watch what is unfolding in our country.
The poor and the rich are coming together
Hand-in-hand: nun, priest and soldier
This part of the world is now Heaven
Do not allow darkness to prevail once more
Let every person`s voice be heard
Everyone is brother and sister in the eyes of the Lord
This, we must always understand.
Coda:
A peaceful way towards change
Truth, freedom, justice
Can be reached without violence
As long as we all stand united!"

Even I'm an alien I'd like to see freedom! What more of the inhabitants of this planets! ;)

stylemessiah

Dont worry , others around the world are alarmed at whats happening in Turkey, particularly what is seen as an attempt move away from a secular society that this government is taking, and also the feeling that democracy is at risk

As an Aussie, with some shared history with Turkey going back near a century, i am aware of the alarming moves by the current government.

This is a country my countries soldiers once invaded and has since been friends with for nearly a hundred years, partly due to the compassion and embracing nature of the great man Atatürk, who has his own statue in our nations capitol such is our respect for him and the people of turkey, who it must be said are amazing people as every year they let us Aussies in to commemorate the battles at Gallipoli

One wonders what Atatürk would think of whats going on....

So theres at least one Aussie here, and i suspect many millions more that stand with the people of Turkey

Archived