US Antivirus companies working with the govt. to spy

anuseems

I warned people for years not to trust US-Based AV companies, now we have confirmation that at least one company is allowing the govt. to snoop. I would predict more, and given the compartmentalized way this is handled I would bet most of the people at most of these companies aren't even aware of it.

McAfee firewalls collect information on hackers who use legitimate servers to do their work, and the company data can be used to pinpoint where attacks begin. The company also has knowledge of the architecture of information networks worldwide, which may be useful to spy agencies who tap into them.

@ http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-14/u-s-agencies-said-to-swap-data-with-thousands-of-firms.html

Any other country would be fools to let it's citizens use Windows based on that statement. It appears the only way to protect yourself is to use an open source operating system.

In light of 'suspected' but unconfirmed spying activities becoming 'confirmed' spying activities of late, I'd say that would also be true for the citizens of this country.

When a briefed member of congress can claim that recent revelations are only 'the tip of the iceberg,' it's just going to get more interesting or embarrassing, depending on your view.

@ http://thehill.com/video/house/305047-dem-rep-lawmakers-learned-significantly-more-about-surveillance-programs-in-nsa-briefing

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

these so called AV protectors even create virus and spread around da globe.. ahh now thats very dirty business.

these so called AV protectors even create virus and spread around da globe.. ahh now thats very dirty business.

I suspected that 20 years ago. What better way to sell your product than to create the need for it in the first place?

NightWalker

I suspected that 20 years ago. What better way to sell your product than to create the need for it in the first place?

20 years ago maybe , nowadays AV companies cant keep with malware production.

antivirus_industry_10years.gif

Archived