Folder Name After Period(.) Disappeared

christantoan

christantoan

My folder names after period(.) is disappeared. Sorry I can't really explain this. Please look at the pictures instead.

ilgl.png

3rsy.png

It suddenly become like this today.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: The problem come and go at random interval. I don't know why though

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
unknownasphyxiated

maybe because windows think the folder got ".virtualbox" extension

if you remove the dot before virtualbox, does the problem still occur?

christantoan

maybe because windows think the folder got ".virtualbox" extension

if you remove the dot before virtualbox, does the problem still occur?

If I remove the dot, the problem stop occurred. but it doesn't solve the problem. Sorry

Windows allows this behavior only for files - not folders (unless your system is infected.) :think:

To see this behavior with files navigate to Control Panel >>----> Folder Options >>----> View >>----> {enable/disable} Hide extensions for known file types.

princenarwal

Windows allows this behavior only for files - not folders (unless your system is infected.) :think:

To see this behavior with files navigate to Control Panel >>----> Folder Options >>----> View >>----> {enable/disable} Hide extensions for known file types.

i agree

Also look for suspious shortcuts created, if yes, look for their target and any autoruns.

best way is to scan with some boot scanner.

Could you enlighten me please, I think I miss-understand what you mean ?

I have several folders that start with a period and the filename (for faster access), I've also just created a folder on my works pc labeled 1.2.3 no issues ? (and I KNOW they are not infected)

Hiding the extension type will have no effect on folders as they don't have one ?

Regards

Dodel

In short, Windows allows only Files to hide their extensions - not Folders.

I'm saying that suddenly, if the Folders are (also) being observed to hide their (man-made) extension - I'd suspect an infection. :)

christantoan

In short, Windows allows only Files to hide their extensions - not Folders.

I'm saying that suddenly, if the Folders are (also) being observed to hide their (man-made) extension - I'd suspect an infection. :)

OK. I'll do some scan now. Thanks

christantoan

Found 3 items:

C:\Windows\System32\H@tKeysH@@k.DLL (HackTool.HotKeyHook) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Andre Christanto\AppData\Roaming\cglogs.dat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\H@tKeysH@@k.DLL (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Good, whatever tools you used and whether they solve your folder issue or not - just consider that you've at least caught up on your maintenance. :)

christantoan

Sorry, still not resolved. The problem come and go at random interval. Usually after restart, it'll gone but will appear at later time. sorry.

And I guess those hacktool are from my trainer program which is false positive even though I don't know about the cglogs.dat

I got same problem.

Video

http://twitpic.com/cxck5i

Im sorry. the Video title is Japanese.its mean "why the folder is disappear."

Archived