PS4 vs Xbox One: which is better?

shamu726

Now that both Sony and Microsoft have revealed their next gen gaming systems to the world on this year's E3, it is time to look at which of the consoles is better. Better depends of course on what your priorities are. Are you interested in price, games, general availability, backwards compatibility, DRM, non-gaming features?

Better is always a relative term, at least when it comes to gaming. Some gamers may not mind the Xbox One's 24h connection requirement as long as they get to play the next Halo, while others see it as a no-go and won't buy the system exactly because of it.

Lets take a look at a direct comparison:

DxIEty9.png

As far as games are concerned, the following exclusive titles have been confirmed so far for Xbox One and Playstation 4:

Xbox One: Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5, Quantum Break, Killer Instinct, Project Spark, Crimson Dragon, Halo 5, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, D4, LocoCycle, Kinect Sports Rivals, Zoo Tycon

PS4: Basement Crawl, Dark Sorcerer, DriveClub, inFamous: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, The Order: 1886

Xbox 360 Games Montage

Playstation 4

PS4 Indie Game showcase

A lot speaks against Microsoft when it comes to the next generation of gaming systems. You give up lots of rights that gamers had for a very long time ever since the first gaming systems were released thirty or so years ago.

Not being able to sell games, buy used copies of games or even lend them to friends are big restrictions that benefit Microsoft and the publishers while they affect many gamers negatively.

The online DRM is terrible for a number of reasons. First, you cannot play your games for more than 24 hours in a location with bad or no online reception even if you are playing a single player game. Second, even if you have a great online connection you may not be able to play games if Microsoft's server infrastructure goes down.

Just imagine what a successful hacking attempt just like the one on Sony's infrastructure would have as a result. No gamer would be able to play games for weeks until Microsoft would resolve the issue. And that is not even taking into account smaller maintenance shut downs or even restarts of the server infrastructure.

It does not stop here though and even if you do not mind a Kinect that cannot be turned off completely, you also won't be able to play any of your Xbox 360 games, provided that you own one right now. While Sony's streaming service is not here yet, it will eventually be available so that you can play PS3 games on the system.

Sony's E3 presentation was not breathtaking by any standard, but the company appears as the clear winner in a direct comparison. Not because it has the more powerful system, better games or is more innovative, but because it is not following Microsoft in restricting gamers with what they can and cannot do with their system.

Source: ghacks.net

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sony ... appears as the clear winner in a direct comparison. Not because it has the more powerful system, better games or is more innovative, but because it is not following Microsoft in restricting gamers with what they can and cannot do with their system.

That. :angry:

Microsoft is just handing this over to Sony on a platter :o This is gonna be a default victory for Sony on account of sheer incomprehensible lunacy on the part of MS. Dunno what's happening there over the past few years. They are so hell bent on shooting themselves in their own two feet. And it's not just the one department! Zune, Win8, Office 2013, Win RT, Surface and now this :nono:

In reality, this just shows the true stripes of the two companies. MS in essence is a software company and it's still struggling to understand the concepts of the hardware market! It's trying to protect the interests of the game developers ahead of the rights of it's hardware customers :o They're just not gonna please anybody apart from the fanboys. :angry:

Whereas Sony, the hardware manufacturer that it's always been, understands exactly where the moolah is at. And they - as we all know - are pretty darn good at milking their skills in hardware conceptualizing, designing, manufacturing and marketing. We're also seeing that now with their Xperia phones after cutting off the umbilical cord from Ericsson :yes:

Sony ... appears as the clear winner in a direct comparison. Not because it has the more powerful system, better games or is more innovative, but because it is not following Microsoft in restricting gamers with what they can and cannot do with their system.

Microsoft is just handing this over to Sony on a platter :o This is gonna be a default victory for Sony on account of sheer incomprehensible lunacy on the part of MS. Dunno what's happening there over the past few years. They are so hell bent on shooting themselves in their own two feet. And it's not just one department! Zune, Win8, Office 2013, Win RT, Surface and now this :nono:

In reality, this just shows the true stripes of the two companies. MS in essence is a software company and it's still struggling to understand the concepts of the hardware market! It's trying to protect the interests of the game developers ahead of the rights of it's hardware customers :o They're just not gonna please anybody apart from the fanboys. :angry:

Whereas Sony, the hardware manufacturer that it's always been, understands exactly where the moolah is at. And they - as we all know - is pretty darn good at milking their skills in hardware conceptualizing, designing, manufacturing and marketing. We're also seeing that now with their Xperia phones after cutting off the umbilical cord from Ericsson :yes:

Not quite. I know many Xbox owners are still going to get the new Xbox instead of converting :wtf:

XBOX One's Problems Is The Used Games Fee's and also the internet connection

but it's gaming capabilities looks impressive than the ps4 also in term of exclusives Microsoft Won sony

but if microsoft would win that challenge with sony should remove that used games problem and the internet connection every 24 hours , and that XBOX ONE Will have the greatest success ever happend

Microsoft is just handing this over to Sony on a platter :o This is gonna be a default victory for Sony on account of sheer incomprehensible lunacy on the part of MS. Dunno what's happening there over the past few years. They are so hell bent on shooting themselves in their own two feet. And it's not just one department! Zune, Win8, Office 2013, Win RT, Surface and now this :nono:

Whereas Sony, the hardware manufacturer that it's always been, understands exactly where the moolah is at. And they - as we all know - is pretty darn good at milking their skills in hardware conceptualizing, designing, manufacturing and marketing. We're also seeing that now with their Xperia phones after cutting off the umbilical cord from Ericsson :yes:

They do this with intent. Microsoft has long since been in the back pocket of corruption. The only reason Microsoft is still on top today even though they seem more and more like a turd: people must like being hurt...Stockholm syndrome.

MasterFaster

I prefer to upgrade my graphics card, Instead of buying Xbox One or PS4

MidnightDistortions

Just to clarify:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4419476/playstation-4-third-party-publishers-can-dictate-their-own-drm-terms

Update: Sony responded to our query, reiterating that all disc-based games will be able to be traded and resold at the owner's discretion, regardless of whether it's first or third party.

"Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners," a Sony representative told Polygon. "As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."

The Sony representative also confirmed that the Online Pass program used in some Sony first-party games on PS3 would not be used at all for its titles on PS4.

Because like that article started off at saying that 3rd parties can have the choice, but from the update it sounds like to me if a 3rd party wants to DRM they'd have to put their game on 'digitally' versus 'physical'. With the way the crowd cheered for Sony it seems that most will be going for the physical games anyhow.

MidnightDistortions

XBOX One's Problems Is The Used Games Fee's and also the internet connection

but it's gaming capabilities looks impressive than the ps4 also in term of exclusives Microsoft Won sony

but if microsoft would win that challenge with sony should remove that used games problem and the internet connection every 24 hours , and that XBOX ONE Will have the greatest success ever happend

You're not making any sense. Sony does not have that used games and internet connection problem that MS does. And the Xbox One froze, locked up or something during the conference. Even if they didn't have the DRM/internet problems that system seems like it could crash at any point. I wouldn't buy it even if you could trade your old games with it.

I know many Xbox owners are still going to get the new Xbox instead of converting :wtf:

Exactly. That's the problems with fanboys. Of course the MS fanboys won't mind. They're the ones who still think Zune is the best mp3 player ever made. They're also the ones that tell you how beautiful the Start Screen in Win8 is :tehe:

Digital DRM is...bad, and will always be, but... a few things can be "good" about this, like no need to insert the Blu-ray disc to play. i read that, on XboxOne, you can loan your games to up to 10 "family members". One at a time can play with a game, and a "family member" can be like...3000 kms away. They play from the cloud (with a good enough internet connexion). So, you can buy a game, finish it, and let up to 10 "family members" play it for free. Microsoft defends the Xbox One’s licensing, used game policies

a few lines about it.

"We're trying to do something pretty big in terms of moving the industry forward for console gaming into the digital world. We believe the digital world is the future, and we believe digital is better."

Mehdi made a comparison to the world of home movie viewing, where inconvenient trips to Blockbuster Video have been replaced with Netflix streaming on practically every TV-connected device. On Xbox One, having all games exist as cloud-connected downloads enables new features like the ability to access your entire library at a friend's house with a single login or loaning games to up to ten "family members" digitally and remotely.

Those digital "benefits" will be available at launch, but Mehdi hinted that the digital rights management transition might unlock some more interesting game access and distribution methods later on. "In the future, you can imagine the capability to have different licensing models, different ways that people have to access games. This all gets unlocked because of digital." He wouldn't get drawn into details, but when I suggested ideas like an "all-you-can-play" Netflix for games or purely digital game rentals, he didn't shoot me down. "Sure. It could be a variety of ways."

DRM free PS4 is a PR play

E3 2013: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play – expect similar policies across both consoles, say sources

Several development sources have told us that they expect game publishers to implement similar DRM policies across Xbox One and PS4, despite what has unfolded at E3 this week.

Our contacts described Sony’s conference announcements as a PR play, and revealed that its decision to go DRM-free was made at the very last minute.

Each platform holder’s DRM policy has changed continually over the last few months, they said, though Microsoft’s initial stance was much tougher than its position today. This suggests that the platform holder’s decision to let publishers decide for themselves whether to implement DRM on Xbox One was not part of the original plan.

Ultimately, the developers we spoke to understand the need to protect the revenues made on their work, and expect to see broadly similar DRM restrictions across both PS4 and Xbox One – in one instance, it was suggested that these measures were essential for the console business to survive.

We were also told that final publishing agreements will not be drawn up for at least another month, so the terms of engagement could yet change once more before each console launches at the end of the year.

We have contacted Sony for comment.

PS4 vs Xbox One: which is better?

Sounds like a rhetorical question... *preorders PS4 on Amazon.com :thumbsup:

XboxDone.com

I prefer to upgrade my graphics card, Instead of buying Xbox One or PS4

My view exactly! My current card does ok, but I can spend half of the cost of an XBox on a new $250 gfx card and be smokin'!

If they ever released a console with upgradeable gfx...it would sell like mad.

MidnightDistortions

I'm pretty sure for the most part Sony will be gaining a good number of Xbox 360 gamers instead of going with the Xbox One. Sure the MS fanboys and Halo fans will most likely have an Xbox One but i am pretty sure there will be fights over the last PS4 during the holidays. I'll probably get an Xbox 360 if it's cheap enough but for the most part all my consoles are all PlayStation. Right now though i don't need a PS4 i am happy with what i already got. I'll probably upgrade my graphics card on my gaming PC before getting a PS4. Games today though are not as good as they used to be anyway minus the few series i still enjoy like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, and Dead Space games. I barely have any PS3 games, despite wanting a few others for the most part i think games don't quite interest me as much as they used to.

.... Games today though are not as good as they used to be ... for the most part i think games don't quite interest me as much as they used to.

That's called 'growing up'. Nothing will ever match the good old days. Firstly, the novelty factor goes away after a while and secondly, nothing will ever beat the carefree days of being a kid with not a worry in the world :yes:

MidnightDistortions

.... Games today though are not as good as they used to be ... for the most part i think games don't quite interest me as much as they used to.

That's called 'growing up'. Nothing will ever match the good old days. Firstly, the novelty factor goes away after a while and secondly, nothing will ever beat the carefree days of being a kid with not a worry in the world :yes:

Well i like some new games, but for some of my favorite game series since the NES days have been declining since PS2. For example Final Fantasy games. The best i think were on SNES and PS1. The same with the Resident Evil series and Silent Hill. Besides the PS3 games more expensive there's just a lack of good games now imo.

Archived