Cloud Storage Question

Alanon

Pending the long expected overhaul of my PC out of a general fear that it might die, I've begun the long process of backing-up my music ebooks, comics, small programs I've gotten used to but have no idea where I got them from, etc... All-together, there's about 200-300 GB of data. So no videos, clips, films... Most of the things I access frequently are tucked away on an external drive. The stuff such as books, comics and small programs are not things I need to have lying around all the time, so I intended to back them up on Mediafire + Mega, for a free 100GB combo.

Now I'm hearing that Mediafire has a tendency to delete files and accounts that aren't regularly accessed? Is this true? Would my files be at risk? Also, I've heard that Mediafire has copyright issues? All of my files will be marked private and not distributed across the Web. Does that even make a difference? What's the minimum of activity for an account not to be deleted? As for Mega, is there a risk of them decreasing the free user storage space, or even getting shut-down again? Is it safe enough? Also, is there another free permanent cloud storage service with 50+GB out of the box? I ask all this because my upload speed is only 1MB, and I don't have the nerves to upload everything on several places, and I'm too cheap to buy a new hard drive (the prices here have still not dropped -.-).

Appreciate any other advice you might be able to give me! Cheers! ^_^

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stay away from Mediafire!

Putlocker is quite decent, especially for the price/premium length/storage capacity. However if you may want to consider renting a dedicated server or simply making local backups instead.

reasons.?

http://www.putlocker.com/page.php?faq

How long are my files stored for?

For free users the files are removed if they were not active for 14 days. Pro Account users never have their files deleted.

not a right way 4 backup

Ofcoure it is. If you want a decent backup solution you pay for it. There is no point in moaning about it not been a decent backup solution if you're not prepaired to pay. For example you pay a small fee for whole year, can store as much as you want and even stream videos etc. Putlocker is a good solution and as far as I can tell doesnt care about deleting copyright files (as long as you dont share links).

reasons.?

Over past year they have been nortorious about deleting/terminating accounts without any sort of pre-warning, even paid accounts which are not sharing links (like mine).

Free accounts you can never be sure how active wil .. but handling them carefully, you may have them some time.

I recommend not sharing your files massively, maxime if they are linked to copyright ... rather use your space just for you where possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Mediafire hash checks the files and deletes them within mins of upload. If the file is later reported and then hash checked, even if you don't share the file anywhere, it will be deleted and you will get one strike on your account.

Mediafire hash checks the files and deletes them within mins of upload. If the file is later reported and then hash checked, even if you don't share the file anywhere, it will be deleted and you will get one strike on your account.

Most of the stuff that I put on MF are e-books, or extremely hard to find programs by local programmers. You know, the kind of stuff that gets posted once on a small forum, on Rapidshare of all places, and then simply disappears forever when Rapidshare deletes it. :D

That's why I was so surprised that MF removed anyone's account or anything, I've somehow managed to not piss it off. xD

So is it safe to assume that I won't have problems if I keep stuffing it up with just the stuff I've been uploading so far? I somehow doubt that e-books are on anyone's list of piracy priorities.

I've also started using solidfiles, really happy with the results so far. Uploaded over 100 high quality scans of comics. Any word on their policies? I seem to remember them saying free storage of the files forever, but I could be wrong. :think:

smallhagrid

Here's a totally different method of going about it=> which I use myself.

WebDAV allows windows users to map internet storage as a local drive letter - there are many ways to do it, but I use the free NetDrive:

http://www.netdrive.net/download.html

It is (of course) not as fast as your local HDD/SSD, but still is quite usable.

I have used the same 2 providers for years now:

https://www.mydrive.ch/features

(2GB free)

https://www.box.com/

(5GB free)

Advantage to this method:

Dependable online storage with access from anyplace.

Disadvantage:

Not as fast as local storage.

I hope that helps.

• Administrator

Most of the stuff that I put on MF are e-books, or extremely hard to find programs by local programmers. You know, the kind of stuff that gets posted once on a small forum, on Rapidshare of all places, and then simply disappears forever when Rapidshare deletes it. :D

That's why I was so surprised that MF removed anyone's account or anything, I've somehow managed to not piss it off. xD

So is it safe to assume that I won't have problems if I keep stuffing it up with just the stuff I've been uploading so far? I somehow doubt that e-books are on anyone's list of piracy priorities.

I've also started using solidfiles, really happy with the results so far. Uploaded over 100 high quality scans of comics. Any word on their policies? I seem to remember them saying free storage of the files forever, but I could be wrong. :think:

Ebook piracy and anti-piracy is quite big these days I feel (someone else might be able to tell you better than me though). I would never trust Mediafire anymore. Inspite of less number of chances, think what would happen if they actually deleted your stuff.

Remember, it's one strike per infringing file. I got two strikes together - inspite of not touching the account for more than 6 months.

What I can recommend you is, go for hosting the same file, at two different hosts. Also, pack them files in password protected archives. I'm guessing that archiving ebook or any text file gives very high compression, so it's win-win if you archive them.

Ebook piracy and anti-piracy is quite big these days I feel (someone else might be able to tell you better than me though). I would never trust Mediafire anymore. Inspite of less number of chances, think what would happen if they actually deleted your stuff.

Remember, it's one strike per infringing file. I got two strikes together - inspite of not touching the account for more than 6 months.

What I can recommend you is, go for hosting the same file, at two different hosts. Also, pack them files in password protected archives. I'm guessing that archiving ebook or any text file gives very high compression, so it's win-win if you archive them.

Hm... Now you got me worried. A question - is there a host that downloads files from other hosts, so that I don't have to upload them again? :rolleyes:

Because it would take foreverto re-do all those books on a different host with my upload speed.

In the light of PRISM and other surveillance technologies, it is not safe enough to use cloud at all. Just my 5 ct.

MEGA (mega.co.nz) has IP in U.S.

See screen:

9gVBg5y.jpg

I personally recommend ge.tt (IP in Ireland).

• Administrator

@Alanon: There are some sites. But not sure of any specific ones.

@Olexijl: I get a different IP here. The IP of New Zealand. Also, this proves it's uses Cloud Distribution Network - not necessarily hosted in U.S, but spread-out in the world.

My personal preference is to stay away from the cloud option for backups due to privacy concerns and an unsuitable internet connection speed.

However, I use a lovely synchronization program to clone my D:\ drive onto my external HDD and to keep them synced.

How about encrypting it with Axcrypt, then put into a zipped file with password again. That way, if you use any file hosting sites, you are safe.

EDIT : I will not use Mega if I am you. The reason is Kimdotcom is a target of the US government and I believe that the US government will do everything in their power to lock him up and shut down Mega as a lesson to other filehoster. Follow us or end up like Kimdotcom.

Hm... I don't know. xD

I need something that's free, keeps files for a loooong time, and doesn't check them. A bit much to expect for free, I'll admit. :s

I've got an external drive with loads of backed-up stuff, that I rarely use... but when I need it, I know everything is there. Problem is, I'm getting low on space everywhere, and DVD's are a thing I don't love because they tend to die out on me fast. I have my music on both places, that's the most important thing. Though Spotify can take care of me pretty good these days, even if the quality is crappy.

Now comics and e-books I've already read, I seldom reach for. But those scans are not available anywhere, copyright on them is (I think) non existent, and the dozens of DVD's that I have are slowly but surely getting scratched. That's what made me think Cloud in the first place. xD

There was this giveaway from Zoolz - 100 GB lifetime for free, I checked now and it seems expired.

Although upload was slow it was really good offer.

Edit:

Check filebox.com, 100GB free, based in Switzerland.

Free online storage without sharing capabilities:

• filejungle.com |Storage: 750 GB (free) | Max file size: 2 GB (free)
  • fileserve.com |Storage: 500 GB (free) | Max file size: 1 GB (free)
  • uploadstation.com |Storage: 500 GB (free) | Max file size: 2 GB (free)

smallhagrid

What I posted earlier...:

I need something that's free, keeps files for a loooong time, and doesn't check them.

Is exactly that.

There are tons of good one to be honest one have to do more homework to discover them. Here are a few site I know

http://www.ozibox.com/Register.aspx - 100 GB (File stored forever)

https://www.bitcasa.com/pricing - 10 GB (File stored forever)

https://www.surdoc.com/ - 100 GB

http://filecloud.io/ - Unlimited for public file & 2 GB for private file. (File stored forever)

https://mail.yandex.com/ - starting 3 GB and up to 10 GB (After completion of several simple task)

https://anonfiles.com/ - 500 MB per file (File does not deleted)

You know, one thing is certain - if you take your files, packs them like archive and if they are uploaded anywhere, you will not watch them again or no more never.

And more. When the files are packed, you have two same files - when you download, are again two - and packed open.

History has shown that, of all things, which is placed somewhere, they'll stay there forever.

Like the cabinets rear corners, There is a history, what no one can remember.

What i consider the best is to have a Physical back up in the form of an HDD . Cheap , Safe and pretty reliable . Of course if you dont loose it , set it on fire or drop it from the roof . :P

To be double sure and to extend the peace of mind a lil further , A back up of back up is what i do !

Cloud or Online storage is also quite convenient and enticing to go for , esp if one considers the back up services of the likes of Mozy , Spideroak etc

Reliable , Consistent , continuous , uninterrupted and integral back ups by these services .

Now , they are not free and more so work good if one has a high speed unlimited data plan .

I am willing to pay for such a service , and i would much rather also go for a paid cloud back up than a free one when going for large space .

I dont know how safe or relaxed should i feel , if and when i use the free service for backing up my many GBs .

If something ever happens , i dont think I would have a shoulder to cry on .

Coz i dint pay anything in the first place , so i should not be expecting anything in return also !

But then , i dont have a high speed net either , so no use paying for such .

However i do use the cloud for regular purposes ,

My 25 Gb on Skydrive and 50 Gb on Box .

Regular --

Some important docs are backed up for easy anywhere access .

Some music , which obviously i dont share .

Personal snaps or any personal stuff which requires sharing .

etc etc .....

And dont fret over just the Spotify . There are MANY other better online music services ! ;)

There was this giveaway from Zoolz - 100 GB lifetime for free, I checked now and it seems expired.

Although upload was slow it was really good offer.

Edit:

Check filebox.com, 100GB free, based in Switzerland.

Free online storage without sharing capabilities:

• filejungle.com |Storage: 750 GB (free) | Max file size: 2 GB (free)
  • fileserve.com |Storage: 500 GB (free) | Max file size: 1 GB (free)
  • uploadstation.com |Storage: 500 GB (free) | Max file size: 2 GB (free)

So these services literally offer free personal storage of that capacity??? Do they check for "copyright infringement"? I would not mind storage without sharing at all!

There are tons of good one to be honest one have to do more homework to discover them. Here are a few site I know

http://www.ozibox.com/Register.aspx - 100 GB (File stored forever)

https://www.bitcasa.com/pricing - 10 GB (File stored forever)

https://www.surdoc.com/ - 100 GB

http://filecloud.io/ - Unlimited for public file & 2 GB for private file. (File stored forever)

https://mail.yandex.com/ - starting 3 GB and up to 10 GB (After completion of several simple task)

https://anonfiles.com/ - 500 MB per file (File does not deleted)

This OziBox stuff seems really interesting. Am I right in saying that it's similar to Dropbox in features?

What i consider the best is to have a Physical back up in the form of an HDD . Cheap , Safe and pretty reliable . Of course if you dont loose it , set it on fire or drop it from the roof . :P

To be double sure and to extend the peace of mind a lil further , A back up of back up is what i do !

Cloud or Online storage is also quite convenient and enticing to go for , esp if one considers the back up services of the likes of Mozy , Spideroak etc

Reliable , Consistent , continuous , uninterrupted and integral back ups by these services .

Now , they are not free and more so work good if one has a high speed unlimited data plan .

I am willing to pay for such a service , and i would much rather also go for a paid cloud back up than a free one when going for large space .

I dont know how safe or relaxed should i feel , if and when i use the free service for backing up my many GBs .

If something ever happens , i dont think I would have a shoulder to cry on .

Coz i dint pay anything in the first place , so i should not be expecting anything in return also !

But then , i dont have a high speed net either , so no use paying for such .

However i do use the cloud for regular purposes ,

My 25 Gb on Skydrive and 50 Gb on Box .

Regular --

Some important docs are backed up for easy anywhere access .

Some music , which obviously i dont share .

Personal snaps or any personal stuff which requires sharing .

etc etc .....

And dont fret over just the Spotify . There are MANY other better online music services ! ;)

Well, I have an external drive on hand for the most important stuff - my music and stuff I use every day. The things I would need to boot my PC from scratch (that I can't find on Nsane, I mean), are all placed there. Problem is, there is too much stuff I have on discs (like e-books and comics) that just won't fit with my HDD philosophy (i.e. I don't reach for them too often). So a good free Cloud service is what I could use for a third backup, and second backup/peace of mind - to get the stuff I want to protect off of discs.

Now... back to Spotify! I use it for three reasons - its free, it has a big library, it keeps me from obsessively downloading flacs that fill up my HDD. I can occasionally turn on the odd on-line radio. Any other free music libraries you can recommend ? :)

majithia23
. Any other free music libraries you can recommend ? :)

Well , yes there are many i use to discover new music , or just listen to my choice .

Some blogs and some popular sites and some not so popular sites .

Lets see --

> Pandora -- My fav . Esp for the music genome project it boasts off , which powers the music recommendation and song selection based upon your existing tastes . And its strikingly good in recommending new songs according to ones taste !

Only US but easy to get around !

> MOG -- Good collection and love it for its quality . Does use 320Kbps. Again US only but easy to get around .

> Grooveshark -- Another fav . Big collection . Use it to build your playlist or just upload your own and then save it . Easy , good and lil strings attached .

Access anywhere .

> jango -- Love this radio for anywhere access and quality . Although dosent use high bit rate songs for streaming , but somwhat i find its quality better than others .

> Google music -- Upload your music . Enjoy from anyhwhere .

> Stereomood -- Listen to new music according to your taste . And , this is also one of my favs . A very good collage of songs here , all according to a particular mood s rated by a community over the WWW.

> justhearit -- Literally the word , Just Hear It . Simply punch in the song you want to hear , hit enter and enjoy ! Has worked 95% of the times for me .

These are the only ones i could remember atm. Any more i remember i shall drop it here ! :)

Archived