Russian hacker creates unauthorized PC port of The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile

SnakeMasteR

SnakeMasteR

Russian hacker creates an unauthorized PC port of The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, justifies

it as a 'restoration of justice'

1166172zesmw.jpg

A Russian hacker who goes by "Barabus" created an unauthorized Windows PC version of Ska Studios'

Xbox 360 game The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile and released it last week, characterizing his actions as

a "restoration of justice" in a comment on Indie Statik.

Ska Studios released the side-scrolling beat-em-up The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile in April 2011 for

Xbox Live Arcade. Barabus wrote (via Google Translate) in the GameDev.ru forums that the "authors

are not very nice to publish the game exclusively for the Xbox 360, making it impossible for PC gamers

to play in such a great game."

While acknowledging that piracy "is bad," Barabus denied that his actions constitute piracy because Ska

Studios have ignored the PC and that the developers therefore weren't losing money.

"On the other hand, we do not steal the game for the Xbox 360, we release it for the PC port," he wrote

(via Google Translate). "Given that developers ignore the PC platform, about any loss of profit for them

is not out of the question. After all, if they wanted to earn money, then the game would be issued on all

available platforms. If the game came out on PC officially, then this thread would not exist."

"THIS IS NOT PIRACY. THIS IS RESTORATION OF JUSTICE."

Earlier today, in the comments of an article on Indie Statik that pointed out that the unauthorized PC

port could convince some to pirate the game on PC rather than purchase it on Xbox 360, Barabus

characterized his actions as a form of justice.
"You say: 'There are lots of people who play on the Xbox and the PC as well! They can now choose from

a payed Xbox version or a free PC version!,'" he wrote.

"I must protest. Users always have the option to pay for the game or not. This also applies to Xbox 360

which has the opportunity to play pirated games. It first."

He went on to write that the PC version doesn't include co-op modes, online play and achievements.
"This is not piracy," Barabus wrote. "This is restoration of justice."

James Silva, co-founder of Ska Software, told Indie Statik that his reaction to the news is a mixture of

flatteryand bewilderment.

"I'm flattered that there's this much interest in Vampire Smile on PC," Silva told Indie Statik. "I'm not

mad about the crack itself; in fact, I'm actually pretty impressed. But I'm bewildered by the cracker's

attempt to justify the morality of it. He assumes a lot about why Vampire Smile's not on PC yet, and

he could have cleared up a lot of those assumptions by just emailing me. I get that piracy is a service

problem, but that's a consequence, not a justification."

Ska Studios' artist Michelle Juett Silva took to Twitter to comment.

"IMO, calling the guy the developer is like calling the guy selling stereos out of the back of his car the

product designer," SIlva wrote.

Earlier in the day, Silva compared the situation to the announcement that Halo: Spartan Assault is

scheduled for Windows 8 devices.

"Halo: Spartan Assault only on Windows 8 devices! That Russian guy should port it FOR GREAT JUSTICE!"

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile is available legally for 800 Microsoft Points ($10). You can also

download a demo through XBLA for free.

Source

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SnakeMasteR

Vampire Smile coming to PC officially from Microsoft and Ska Studios

xscreenshot4jpg.jpg.py4u2c.jpg

Ska Studios' XBLA bloodbath The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile is coming to PC with help from Microsoft,
creator James Silva announced on his dev (and cat) blog. Vampire Smile is currently on PC – but it's via
an unofficial crack that made headlines this morning, partially because the hacker labeled his version a
"restoration of justice."

Silva says he and the other half of Ska Studios, Michelle Juett Silva, approached Microsoft last week
about developing an extended, PC version of Vampire Smile, far before the unofficial version was an
issue.

"Porting Vampire Smile to PC as an enhanced Director's Cut has been something I've been wanting to
do since launch (I was calling it Georgelucasing until Michelle made me stop)," James writes. "Nothing's
set in stone, but we got the go ahead to make a pre-announcement: We'll be working with Microsoft to
bring our stuff to PC."

Ska Studios can't officially condone the cracked PC version of Vampire Smile, but James doesn't hold
the creator in complete disregard: "I really am honestly flattered that he took the time and effort to
reverse engineer Vampire Smile for PC. I heart your enthusiasm, Barabus! (Just stop calling it justice,
please!)"

And since Ska can't stop making news today, it went all out: Charlie Murder, its next brawler coming to
XBLA, is slated for a launch this summer. We think it's a ton of chaotic fun – check out the launch trailer
below.

Source

I played the port, it's a bunch of fun, if you like hack&slash games, you will love it, there is blood too. :P :lol:

LazyPotato

Great :). But I wish that 'Russian hacker' could crack Journey or The Shadow of Colossus. Beautiful games...just beyond beautiful.

Archived