Microsoft won't say if IE11 will be made for Windows 7

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Microsoft has chosen not to comment yet on if the upcoming launch of Internet Explorer 11 as part of the Windows 8.1 upgrade will be followed by a port for Windows 7.

When Microsoft officially announced the first details on its upcoming free Windows 8.1 upgrade, it mentioned it would also include Internet Explorer 11. But is IE11 also going to be released on Windows 7, as Microsoft chose to do with IE10?

Computerworld.com reports that, for the moment, Microsoft isn't talking about any plans for releasing IE11 beyond Windows 8.1. A spokesperson for the company stated, "We aren't sharing anything around which versions of Windows IE11 will be available on at this time."

Usually, when Microsoft releases a new web browser, it tries to cover as many Windows users as they can. However, Microsoft decided to go ahead and not release IE10 for Windows XP and Windows Vista, concentrating just on Windows 8 for the launch, followed a few months later with a version may for Windows 7.

With Microsoft ending Windows XP support less than a year from now, it's highly unlikely that Microsoft will offer IE11 on that old OS. As far as Windows Vista, the percentage of PC users that still have it installed is extremely low and getting lower every month.

That leaves Windows 7, which has the biggest worldwide reach of any version of the OS by far. Even though Microsoft launched IE10 for Windows 7, it would seem very unlikely that the company would deny Windows 7 users a way to upgrade to IE11. And what about Windows 8 users who don't want to get the free Windows 8.1 upgrade? Microsoft is not commenting on that possible scenario either, but again, we think the vast majority of Windows 8 PCs users will make the switch to Windows 8.1.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step-motherly treatment to Windows 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . again. <_<

MidnightDistortions

Google Chrome > Internet Explorer

it doesn't matters. even noobs don't use IE nowadays.

in olden days IE was sorta necessary for govt sites, but now every site works on chrome/FF

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder who uses IE this days

I do and around 90% of other browser users.

It's my first choice always has been since around 1995.

If MS decided not to allow windows 7 users to have windows internet explorer 11, then so be it I am happy with 10.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess: it's in their interest to provide the latest browser with the most popular product.

IE's session handling is almost absent, up to now.

Right now, I am using, Opera 12.15 and latest Firefox with side bar and two extensions: speed dial and session manager.

Archived