Now in Bloom - Korean Spice Viburnum

jalaffa

"If I was only going to plant one viburnum, it'd be V. carlesii that is wafting its fabulous fragrance around gardens this month. The slow-growing, compact version, which tops out at 3-4 feet high and wide, fits neatly into smaller gardens like mine, and it's dependably hardy, unlike its cousin V. tinus 'Spring Bouquet' that has suffered so the last couple of cold winters.

So why this deciduous shrub out of so many great viburnum possibilities? Its shape is rounded and tidy, and it has handsome, dark green foliage, but really it's the flowers and their glorious scent that distinguish the Korean spice viburnum. Its pink buds open to a snowball-like cluster of white flowers that have a strong, spicy-sweet fragrance. I look forward all year to cutting twigs of this viburnum to bring indoors to scent the house with their luxurious perfume. I've never seen it damaged by cold or the flowers nipped back by frost. V. carlesii is deciduous, and its leaves turn dull red to burgundy in autumn."

view.gifView: Original Article

Personal note: I have one of those in my garden. The scent is amazing. My whole flat is filled with it having the window on my bedroom open. Here is a pic of mine:

CM11Nx5.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice post! I really want to plant something.

This inspires me to continue on my hydroponics project. :D

iLL Stick to my Pienk Violets :lol: :lol: :lol:

LazyPotato

"If I was only going to plant one viburnum, it'd be V. carlesii that is wafting its fabulous fragrance around gardens this month. The slow-growing, compact version, which tops out at 3-4 feet high and wide, fits neatly into smaller gardens like mine, and it's dependably hardy, unlike its cousin V. tinus 'Spring Bouquet' that has suffered so the last couple of cold winters.

So why this deciduous shrub out of so many great viburnum possibilities? Its shape is rounded and tidy, and it has handsome, dark green foliage, but really it's the flowers and their glorious scent that distinguish the Korean spice viburnum. Its pink buds open to a snowball-like cluster of white flowers that have a strong, spicy-sweet fragrance. I look forward all year to cutting twigs of this viburnum to bring indoors to scent the house with their luxurious perfume. I've never seen it damaged by cold or the flowers nipped back by frost. V. carlesii is deciduous, and its leaves turn dull red to burgundy in autumn."

view.gifView: Original Article

Personal note: I have one of those in my garden. The scent is amazing. My whole flat is filled with it having the window on my bedroom open. Here is a pic of mine:

CM11Nx5.jpg

I want a garden likes yours :-: it's soooo cooool.

I wanna; lay U down in a Bed of Roses; Hmmmm Hmm Hmmmm!!!!!!!!

:stereo: Flowers, Gardens, Song and Peace :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Archived