Sandbox

Ragdd

Hi

I download a lot of programs from Usenet and sometimes from Torrents.

I have (legal) Kaspersky Antivirus 2012 to protect me in the background.

But when I want to start downloaded software, I would like to do so in a controlled environment.

What's the best method?

Or working with a virual Windows in VM Virtualbox for example.

Of working with a Sandbox program like Sandboxie?

Of the Sandbox program's what's the best option? Sandboxie or another Sandbox program?

Bye

Ragdd

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use, Shadow Defender.

Look-up Nsane Sites thru Forum. I Lost link to legal activation, just ask one of the coders here or Admns.

They allways help :rolleyes: :)

jimbojet2011

Isn't kaspersky using a integrated sandbox?

Sandboxie. It's granular and can be modified to your liking. Some malware is actually VMaware and can break out of a VM. There are some known malware that can break out of a sandbox as well but less likely. Using sandboxie and some Anti-exe should keep things in check.

DesiPirate

Use virtual environment if you are almost sure that your downloads/cra***,etc will contain malware. Otherwise sandbox is enough

Some malware is actually VMaware and can break out of a VM. There are some known malware that can break out of a sandbox as well but less likely

It is very very difficult for malware... to get into host OS itself. Whereas it is possible for malware to break sandboxie.

Anyway just use commonsense while dealing with cracks,etc and get them from trusted sources.

VMaware malware can break out of a VM enviroment. There are always exlpoits and vulnerabilites found that allow malware to escape the virtual machine. I'm not saying it's easy but it does happen. Relying just on VM is short sighted. Yes malware can also break out of a sandbox but if configured properly it's very difficult. When I'm testing malware I do it in VM under Shadow defender. I've never had a break out yet. Not that I've noticed at least. ;)

Blackchildcx

I would use Sandboxy(u can even start explorer sandboxed) or Shadow Defender.. B)

great solutions ;)

Have tested Sandboxie today and very pleased with it.

Bought official lifetime license because I want to support this product and now I can install always the latest version.

I use it now to test downloaded files from usenet and torrents, reducing the risk that my system is being infected together with official Kaspersky antivirus 2012.

LazyPotato

Both Sandboxie and Shadow Defender are excellent products, choose what suit you better ! ;)

Sandboxie can be sometimes difficult for newbies (assmuing OP are a newbie cause they use KAS instead of KIS or KP). So my cake goes for SD.

Both Sandboxie and Shadow Defender are excellent products, choose what suit you better ! ;)

Sandboxie can be sometimes difficult for newbies (assmuing OP are a newbie cause they use KAS instead of KIS or KP). So my cake goes for SD.

WRONG

maybe from first look SB looks complicated , but when u start flipping between its menu u can see that only few setting concern You.

actually its out of the box software , just "shell " your browser and u set to go... easy as that :)

LazyPotato

WRONG

maybe from first look SB looks complicated , but when u start flipping between its menu u can see that only few setting concern You.

actually its out of the box software , just "shell " your browser and u set to go... easy as that :)

Well in SD all you do is set your shadow mode & it's done. You don't need to worry about what to save and what to not.

WRONG

Well in SD all you do is set your shadow mode & it's done. You don't need to worry about what to save and what to not.

yes , but they are different software . they server different pc security you cant compare them.

LazyPotato

WRONG

yes , but they are different software . they server different pc security you cant compare them.

Kinda,SD defends from all type of malwares while SB only defends from keyloggers & downloadable malware.

WRONG

Kinda,SD defends from all type of malwares while SB only defends from keyloggers & downloadable malware.

lol

LazyPotato

WRONG

lol

Doesn't it only protects your browser? Correct me if I am wrong,btw,typing 'lol' can also be count as spam. Edit your post.

You can run programs in a sandbox even malicious ones without infecting your hdd and system aside from containing driveby malware within the sandbox (if its configured correctly)......Edit my post you order....Are you a self appointed moderator now, from what I've seen of your posts you're a troll...This is the first and last 'convo' I'll have with you....

Here's a friendly tip....Clue yourself up on SandBoxie and its purpose!

www.sandboxie.com

... from what I've seen of your posts you're a troll...

Completely agree with you brother. :yes:

Anyhow, I'm very happy with Sandboxie.

It protects me when I'm testing new fixes for program's or games or my downloads from usenet or torrents.

Program is easy to use, It was good out of the box.

I only moved the Sandboxie folder from C-drive (SSD) to a harddrive and turned off auto start Sandboxie with Windows.

So I'm a n00b because I don't use Kaspersky Internet Security or Kaspersky Pure, but only Kaspersky Antivirus.

I have a very good firewall in my Netgear WNDR3700 v1 router and the one in Windows 7 is just fine for me.

For anti-spam, I use a legal version of Mailwasher which I use since long time ago.

As password manager, I use a legal version of Roboform.

And backups are made buy legal versions of Norton Ghost 15 and KLS Backup.

So why should I pay more for feature in Kaspersky I won't use?

And they take extra resources like RAM and CPU than my normal KAV.

Archived