ESET NOD v2?...V3?...v4?

talakitok

i am now using ESET NOD v4 and i was kinda wondering which is better version cause i have a low specs computer and i want a low memory consumption AV with the same protection as of v4??.. uhm?.. is the v2 has the same protection as the v4?? :P

thank you for the replies hope u can help me?...

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well v2 is light on resources and effective.

v3 has a new fancy GUI plus increased detection rate (watch out, I think its spreading)

v4 has both the antivirus engine plus the spyware engine (antivirus edition...not eset smart security, but ESS also has that, plus anti-spam and firewall)

well v2 is light on resources and effective.

v3 has a new fancy GUI plus increased detection rate (watch out, I think its spreading)

v4 has both the antivirus engine plus the spyware engine (antivirus edition...not eset smart security, but ESS also has that, plus anti-spam and firewall)

ok thx for the reply marik..

what I am surprise is this:

v2.7 detected some virus which v4 miss... <_<

v4 detected virus which v2.7 did not miss...

Well, I haven't updated my main OS to v4 yet... just partially tested on my VM <_<

I'm gonna wait for the next stable release.

Well, I haven't updated my main OS to v4 yet... just partially tested on my VM <_<

Wise!

Well, I haven't updated my main OS to v4 yet... just partially tested on my VM :D

Wise!

uhmm...so if i install v2.7?.. will that be good??? :rolleyes: rather than v4???

tonimontana

The version 4 uses alot more system resources than version 3. Also, I don't like windows update notification feature of version 4 as windows vista/xp already has this feature. Anyway, I'm waiting for the next stable release as well.

The version 4 uses alot more system resources than version 3. Also, I don't like windows update notification feature of version 4 as windows vista/xp already has this feature. Anyway, I'm waiting for the next stable release as well.

You can disable this functionality and I believe ESET V4 only uses around 2-8 MB more(in total) than V3 does...

AshTheGamer

I am not sure which one I am using but I am finding it an improvment to the one I was using before.

tonimontana
You can disable this functionality and I believe ESET V4 only uses around 2-8 MB more(in total) than V3 does...

That's not the case with my pc. The V4 uses around 45 MB ram whereas V3 uses only 12-18 MB ram.

That's not the case with my pc. The V4 uses around 45 MB ram whereas V3 uses only 12-18 MB ram.

Lol, that's wrong :P

Are you using a pagefile? Disable it and recheck both values ;)

AshTheGamer

Lol, that's wrong ;)

Are you using a pagefile? Disable it and recheck both values :lmao:

Yeah I think that should work.

If memory is an issue, use v2.7.

If memory is not an issue, use the latest version.

V4 is working good here...

Same here too - on free 30days Trial(using @mailinator.com email service)

It regularly updates without hassle & the program runs on auto-pilot in Learning Mode.

This is true, Nod32 v4 uses around 45MB and my windows core is forced to ram as I have 4GB ram and pagefile is disabled. egui.exe is currently using 7052K, ekern.exe is currently using 46704K, you do the math. Even while they were beta testing I emailed them and requested that they use whitelisting or some other technology to reduce the mem usage to beat NAV2009, however ESET dosen't seem to care. I also asked them to implement a separate binary to use with msn messenger for speed but they didn't care about that either.

As for the original question V4 is much better with threat classification and version 3 is the weakest in my book since many viruses could easily disable it. I think ESET tries to keep the mem usage down by removing old threats from the database which could explain why v2 picks up on things that v4 doesn't. In all cases don't depend 100% on any single product, use a separate on demand scanner like malware bytes.

ok v4 was working for around a week.... then all of sudden internet pages starting to hang... and go slow... "theres a thread on wilders with alot more people having the same problem"

Edit

Wilders topic thread

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=235038

Went back to 3.0 everything fine again :think:

You could do what I do and "disable" port filtering. I set it to only check apps marked as internet browsers and of course I don't check anything because I really don't want it to use the http scanner. By default it scans ports and apps. I say "disable" because I don't actually disable the scanner module else nod32 would go orange and harass me that my pc is unprotected, the way I configure it allows the web scanner module to be loaded as usual but just that it has nothing to scan.

tonimontana

This is true, Nod32 v4 uses around 45MB and my windows core is forced to ram as I have 4GB ram and pagefile is disabled. egui.exe is currently using 7052K, ekern.exe is currently using 46704K, you do the math. Even while they were beta testing I emailed them and requested that they use whitelisting or some other technology to reduce the mem usage to beat NAV2009, however ESET dosen't seem to care. I also asked them to implement a separate binary to use with msn messenger for speed but they didn't care about that either.

As for the original question V4 is much better with threat classification and version 3 is the weakest in my book since many viruses could easily disable it. I think ESET tries to keep the mem usage down by removing old threats from the database which could explain why v2 picks up on things that v4 doesn't. In all cases don't depend 100% on any single product, use a separate on demand scanner like malware bytes.

I've been using only ESS for more than a year and never had a virus. I think if you know 'how to surf the internet properly', your pc will never get infected. I use the following for protection:

1. ESS v3

2. Opera v10

3. Ad muncher 4.72 for blocking ads

4. Common sense

Thanks for your reply mate!

tonimontana

Lol, that's wrong :P

Are you using a pagefile? Disable it and recheck both values :)

Well, the problem is not with the pagefile (already disabled).

Mkay, then my readings must be of... Anyway if you have the luxury of disabling the pagefile then you shouldn't worry about 30 MB extra :)

Archived