[Solved]RAM upgrade help

Ponting

My HP Pavilion DV6-2174-TX Notebook PC has 2 GB of RAM at present.I want to upgrade my RAM to 8 GB(maximum).

This is what i get from my product manual.

Memory

2 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots

Supports dual-channel memory

PC3, 1066 MHz front side bus (FSB), DDR3

Supports up to 8 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:

■ 8192-MB total system memory (4096 MB × 2, dual-channel)
■ 6144-MB total system memory (2048 MB × 1 + 4096 MB × 1)
■ 4096-MB total system memory (2048 × 2, dual-channel)
■ 3072-MB total system memory (2048 × 1024)
■ 2048-MB total system memory (1024 × 2, dual-channel)
■ 2048-MB total system memory (2048 × 1)
■ 1024-MB total system memory (1024 × 1)

Screenshot of my 2 GB RAM from AIDA64 in Slot #1

RAMSlot1.jpg

Click here to know Crucial Memory Advisor's Result

I want to buy RAM online.I am confused on which one to buy.Going by product manual i have to buy two 4 GB RAM module for two slots.Please help me buy compatible RAM for two slots.I don't know about Memory Module requirements like pin slot 204 or 240,DIMM or SO-DIMM,Single or Dual channel.

In my locality they charge 3500 INR for 4 GB RAM.

I doubt whether Crucial.com can deliver the product to my place and also worried about high shipping costs.So i have to go for flipkart,ebay or something like that.

Please help me choose two 4 GB RAMs for two slots.

• Replies 28
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my locality they charge 3500 INR for 4 GB RAM.

Just step out of your area into the local flea market - for instance, a short trip to Lamington Road, would benefit Mumbaikars. What costs 3,500/- in your locality should be available there for about 2,300/- approximately. ;)

Which one woud you prefer to buy from these options?

From product manual

You will need the following tools to complete the removal and replacement procedures:
■ Flat-bladed screwdriver
■ Phillips P0 and P1 screwdrivers
■ Torx T8 screwdriver

Would this one be enough or do i need different screw driver set?

Judging by brand - my personal preference (by order) is:-

• G.SKILL
  • Corsair

Please suggest screw driver set

Please suggest screw driver set

To be very honest, I've never had to ever use a screw-driver to dislodge or install a RAM stick - the procedure would always depend upon the sockets on the MotherBoard (it would never depend upon the RAM.)

Personally, I'd avoid using tools & instruments for the procedure - if you break the socket clasp, you've had it (it's like breaking off a part of the MotherBoard.) I get more feel - using my thumbs on both the clasps of a socket, simultaneously.

I just wanted to remove the back cover of the laptop for removing and installing RAM.

I just wanted to remove the back cover of the laptop for removing and installing RAM.

LOL, no wonder - thought I was missing out on cutting-edge technology. :D

For your laptop, I'd suggest a modular multi-headed tool set - similar to the one you linked (I'd opt for the hard-tipped & reinforced variety.)

If you are interested in it, then I would advise to use the same company to own and more than 4GB isn't definitely needed.

If you have a free slot available, then simply add one there - so you can get the cheaper price. You can also add 4GB, you can get a total of 6GB. But think, is it at all needed.

It is recommended to put on the same or a higher speed (frequency), and that's all.

Do you recommend wearing anti-static wrist strap?(or)Is there any other trick to prevent ESD from damaging RAM module?

Do you recommend wearing anti-static wrist strap?

Yes.

Is there any other trick to prevent ESD from damaging RAM module?

Before even attempting to open up your cabinet switch off the mains (and inverter - if any) and then detach the plug from the board and spike-guard.

calguyhunk

I think most of the advice given on this thread is good especially by dcs18 :)

I'll tell you this. There's no justification IMO for dropping 6 grands to buy 8Gb RAM especially as you already have a 2Gb stick that you're then gonna have to throw away. You should either get a 2 or 4GB module and slot that in for a total of 4-6GB. :)

Try to get the new modules corresponding to the same speed as your current one. If not, in all probability, your mobo has that option of setting the speed in the BIOS. Set the lower speed manually and see how it goes at first. Even if the BIOS doesn't provide for that option, it should be able to adjust that on it's own anyways ;)

As for the screwdriver, anything that lets you take the outer back cover off will do. You'll prolly already have something at home for that. You'll need a precision toolkit only to remove the mobo, the heat sink, fan and other such. Don't fret over that ATM ;)

As for the screwdriver, anything that lets you take the outer back cover off will do. You'll prolly already have something at home for that. You'll need a precision toolkit only to remove the mobo, the heat sink, fan and other such. Don't fret over that ATM ;)

true, but the words "ram" and "screw" in close proximity gives it a certain... je ne sais quoi ...specially if taken out of context

One very desirable (and underrated propensity) of the screw-driver is to have a magnetic tip - it really helps, you're never gonna grow younger.

My argument to have a good set of screw drivers is simple - as a laptop owner (post-RAM period) one would require to get into the laptop more often to clean up the fans & vents (quarterly in my own case.) The final challenge of the Owner (and the screw driver) is when one would get savvy enough to be able to dismantle the motherboard to clean her up (yearly in my case) - in humid climatic conditions after 3 years, laptops start rusting (yes, believe me.)

The reason why most laptops do not last over 5 years is due to the death of the motherboard caused by rust. FWIW, my hobby is to mod bikes - I use the same screw-drivers on my towers (laptops call for much smaller sized ones, though.)

There's always another alternative - for the rich ones (check the following post for expert advice repeated twice at post # 2 and 7):-

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/170264-ps2-port-on-motherboard-not-working/

• Administrator

@dcs18: What lifeiscool has linked (screw driver set) do seem magnetic tips. Should they be silver colored or black? Reason I'm asking is that, from childhood I'm looking for these but every hardware store I ask here, they don't have it. :unsure:

Yep - at Rs 78/- they are a steal - I suggest visiting Anupam Stationery Mart for reasonably good quality screw-driver sets in a compact size.

I even find some really rare and very odd kind of screw driver tips in those sets that can be used on any cellphone, too (including the Chinese ones.)

About the color - generally speaking, black headed ones could reflect that the tip has been tempered (meaning hardening process through heat debilitation) and black tips are more likely (though not assured) to be magnetic ones in my experience.

ps:-

I'm sure Anupam Stationery Mart has an outlet close to your pad - if not, then the next closest station is Goregaon (East,) right opposite the station (above Vodafone Gallery.)

pps:-

implague was quite impressed with my tool-kit - the last time he visited me. :)

• Administrator

I see. Thanks for the info.

Well, Andheri East is virtually out of reach for me. West is still possible as my sis did law in Mithibai (which is easier to reach from Andheri :P ), so come around there time and again, but have no idea whatsoever about the east.

But, are you suggesting that this will be found in stationery stores and not hardware ones? Cause in here, we have about two suburb-wide famous stationery stores that might be keeping this sort of thing.

Oh, yeah - you could certainly try the Hardware Stores in your area, too ( they're quite good - I do shop there quite often, myself.) :)

• Administrator

Already asked months ago, no such thing in hardware shops. :(

Rather, a roadside stall guy had a more expensive but broken case one.

Some of the most exotic tools in my collection have germinated from Chor Bazaar. :P

Have bought some really good German stuff from there (scrooged from the shipyards.)

Another good source of exotica (close to your home) is Vikas Auto - Chincholi Phatak (the guy, Sunilbhai - is expensive but gets you some really novelty items.) Just purchased a heavy duty impact driver from him, last month.

Which one woud you prefer to buy from these options?

Does DRAM structure pose any incompatibility problems?Kingston has 64 x 512 MB DRAM Structure.I can find the presence of '64' on all compatible RAM memory module for my system on crucial.But can't find any info on Gskill specification.

Actually, I forgot to mention something crucial - while purchasing the modules, it's a good idea to carry the system along.

While installing the RAM, a particular brand or model might refuse to play along with your system for reasons yet unknown to man (even if in theory, it met all technical specifications) - this is the reason I take the system physically even if it's a huge tower (you're lucky - yours is just a laptop.)

My methodology is to insert one module at a time into each of the sockets before rebooting each and every time - if there's any little bit of incompatibility the system either does not boot or it returns a BSOD.

In your case, your laptop would possess just 2 RAM slots - the latest standalone high-end gaming motherboards have started shipping with 6 RAM sockets. :)

Archived