Facebook auto-play video ads are coming

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Try all you want, you can't hide your love of auto-play ads from Facebook execs.

pLqp13P.png
You think this ad is convincing now, wait until it can both talk and move.

Facebook presumably heard how much we all enjoy auto-playing video ads elsewhere on the Internet, because the company plans to begin incorporating the format in users’ news feeds starting this summer, according to a report from the Financial Times. Facebook’s foray into commercials would likely come from some of its largest name brand sponsors, like Coca Cola, Nestle, Ford, and American Express.

Facebook has dabbled in sponsored content that gets sprinkled throughout users’ news feeds for some time. The first iteration, sponsored stories, gained ire from both creators and viewers of the ads, not least for using Facebook users as shills without their consent. The related lawsuit cost Facebook $20 million.

Promoted posts replaced sponsored stories, which some Facebook page owners said corresponded with a drop in traffic and interactions with their pages. Facebook stated that it worked to groom users’ news feeds to show them only content they wanted to see, and an overzealous number of postings from a given page were liable to be left off the feeds of their followers.

Facebook currently allows brands to embed video advertisements on the timelines of their pages, but those ads currently don't get pushed to news feeds (and no videos of any kind auto-play). Video ads, especially those with audio that plays automatically, generate the juiciest kinds of revenue. These are also, in our subjective experience, the most aggravating and inevitably lead to a game of “which browser tab is the sound coming from?”

The Financial Times pegs the launch for July, but the rollout will probably be as slow and deliberate as it needs to be to keep users from abandoning their new flashy, chatty news feeds altogether.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 2
  • Views 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they want to commit the cardinal sin of web design annoyances. :(

I am of the opinion that anyone who'd make/use an auto play talking video (they're nothing new, I thought those with some decency or prominence stopped using them and they'd been relegated to content farm spammy blogs and low grade "news" sites), has earned a spot in the lowest level of hell.

Forget it, nothing ClickToPlay + AdBlock Plus + DoNotTrackMe won't mercilessly purge like the cancer it is.

This is why I leave headphones plugged in my PC, as pretty much every sound unless I want to watch a video/play an MP3 is useless (don't get me started on the awful Windows XP login/shutdown sounds).

MidnightDistortions

Ugh, facebook is going downhill.. and this will cause users to leave.. i already barely go onto the site anymore other then to check notifications that it never sends me via email. Oh but the emailing system seems to work on birthdays and events. Won't work if i get a message. Anytime i click on a site that has an auto playing video i want to punch the people involved in making that possible. It's one thing if you had a myspace with an automatic music player but with an automatic video player it irritates me when i can't find the source of it when i have 10 tabs open.

Archived