Desktop resurgence in Windows Blue?

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Don't give up hope just yet, all ye desktop faithful.

While news of 100 million Windows 8 licenses sold may make Microsoft seem less likely to implement any backward-looking changes into its divisive new operating system, comments from Windows honcho Tami Reller in a series of interviews hint at a resurgence for the ol' keyboard-and-mouse-friendly interface.

Doing the desktop boogie

"We started talking about the desktop as an app," Reller told the New York Times. "But in reality, for PC buyers, the desktop is important."

Indeed it is—witness the torrent of reaction to PCWorld’s explainer on banishing the Metro interface from your life if you doubt that users still love the traditional desktop. Reller told the Times that Microsoft is doubling down on sales training to push the value of the desktop in Windows 8, but reports suggest Windows Blue will add an option to boot to the desktop, allowing users to bypass the modern-style Start screen completely.

A boot-to-desktop option would help make Windows 8 easier for non-technical users stymied by the OS's multiple, less-than-friendly interface change —and streamlining the user experience is a major goal for Windows Blue, Reller says.

Start it up

"The learning curve [of Windows 8] is absolutely real, given the level of change," she told ABC News. "We can do work to address that. We see a lot of where customers could use some more help from us."

One area that leaves casual users baffled when they're introduced to Windows 8 is the complete lack of a Start button, especially if they're using a keyboard and mouse. While many of Windows 8's gesture commands are fairly intuitive on a touchscreen device, the OS's "hot corner" concept isn't nearly as intuitive. (In fact, the first time my wife used Windows 8 with a keyboard and mouse she ended up stuck on the desktop, even though she'd used several Windows 8 tablets and hybrids previously.)

Microsoft acknowledges the complaints.

"We have heard the feedback on that, and it's one of many pieces of feedback we have listened to with an open mind," Reller went on to tell ABC News. She also told the Times that while touchscreen users are as satisfied with Windows 8 as they were with Windows 7, based on usage data, Microsoft needs to help traditional mouse jockeys learn the OS faster.

"We feel good that we've listened and looked at all of the customer feedback. We are being principled, not stubborn," Reller said when Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet pressed her about the Start button.

At the Wired Business Conference, fellow Microsoft co-chief Julie Larson-Green also hinted a Start button may be inbound, the Verge reports. "The button might be helpful to have on the screen for some people," she said. "...There has been meaningful discussion [about the Start button within Microsoft]."

The (potential) Start button in Windows Blue might not look or act like the Start button you're used to, however.

A recent report claimed that Windows Blue builds containing a returned Start button are indeed making the rounds, but the button doesn't open a Start menu as it did in past Windows iterations. Instead, it drops users on the modern-style Start screen.

9OGAQZY.jpg

See the itty-bitty blue All Apps icon in the corner?

It seems cruel, but if true, a Start button that behaves that way might not be as bad as it sounds. An All Apps button has appeared in the lower left corner of recent Windows Blue leaked builds; clicking it takes you to Windows 8's superb All Apps interface, which basically acts like a beefed-up, full-screen Start menu. (I actually prefer it to the traditional Start menu.)

If that duo of improvements indeed make their way to Windows Blue, the tandem would basically behave the same way as the traditional Start menu—but like so many Windows 8 tweaks, it would take an additional button clicked compared to the long-standing methods.

#compromises

"All [improvement] ideas that have percolated through the mainstream press are things that have been considered [for Windows Blue]," Reller told The Next Web.

That means something. Microsoft may be promoting Windows 8 under the #nocompromises hashtag, but falling back into the good graces of desktop diehards will require some give-and-take.

Here's the thing, though: Compromise is a two-way street. While Microsoft may be open to nipping and tucking its new-look operating system to please traditional old-look desktop users, the Windows of the future will never again look exactly like the Windows of the past.

"Blue advances the Windows 8 vision," Reller told ZDNet. "It's all about mobile, touch, apps, the new dev platform, and a highly personalized personal experience."

It's sad, but it's true: The desktop itself is indeed a legacy app at this point. But as long as Microsoft continues to support it with the same tenacity that the company has always supported legacy apps—and Reller's comments today indicate that improving the desktop experience is a key focus for Windows Blue—that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Heck, with a few well-placed tweaks, Microsoft may just be able to have its cake and eat it too with Windows Blue. I could certainly offer a few suggestions.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

It's simple, no Start Menu, means no cake for you Microsoft.

the reason why apple owns the tablet market and ipod and smart phone market... they are toys..if you need something for school and business...you NEED a fricken key board. (and apple computers do not do what people want for university or work or they would own that market too)... people that need smart phones for work...actually need a smart phone for work... seldom choose an iphone

If they are saying that Desktop is a legacy app, well... Then I'd ask them to take a look at other 'legacy apps' that they are STILL supporting, like for example WindowsXp and Offcice 2k3.

The problem with the projected Blue edition is that it's an hybrid.

The solution for Microsoft is really quite simple - just develop the following 2 standalone variants:-

• Desktop edition without Modern UI for non-TouchScreen Users and
  • Fully TouchScreen edition.

really they should have done that---- a pure desktop version with no touch/modern UI features.

But they are too greedy, they want to milk the desktop users too for the apps

really they should have done that---- a pure desktop version with no touch/modern UI features.

But they are too greedy, they want to milk the desktop users too for the apps

do not think it was greed..it was far worse...they are not in tune with what customers want...that being said windows 8 apps start page is not too big of a deal to live with if you do not have a touch screen.... it is not hard to get to the desk top even without the various programs you can get to boot directly to it..this is minor detail and i am more than happy with windows 8..most of the complaints are those that are still whining that they will never get rid of windowsXP...

edit.... i did not purchase a brand new notebook with windows 8 so i could downgrade to win7 or winxp that has no valid argument whatsoever

MidnightDistortions

Give me an exact replica of Windows 7 and i will be happy. I am still open to new options but i don't want to be spending an entire day customizing my PC the way i want it to. I can customize Windows 7 on the fly, doing critical updates first and then downloading/installing my 3rd party software. I don't want to spend all day in an app section trying to figure out how i can get flip 3D and keep the Aero Glass, glossy look while trying to pick out what kind of free start menu i want. It's aesthetics but i am willing to switch to a different OS (other than Windows) just to prove my point. Even if it doesn't work Linux might be good enough for me in the future. I can use Windows 7 for my gaming for now and i don't really need to stay with the current games for now. I just care about having a computer that works without getting a headache from the UI.

Archived