Acronis True Image

elohelomg

elohelomg

So I ended up needing to actually restore an image onto one of the computers...for those of you read the old post, you'll know what im talking about.

Anyway, its a windows xp machine that i created a restore for using acronis, and wanted to image it using the universal restore option on another computer, but the bugger wont boot. originally, it complained about not having the pci drivers, but i downloaded them and selected the path and the recovery process goes smoothly.

when the computer is rebooted, it boots directly into a system recovery thing that manufacturers put in, but not the actual os.

i feel like the MBR didn't copy well, but who knows...any advice?

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

01.) Which flavor of Acronis did you use? (I see you used ATI)

02.) What version was it?

03.) What was the depth of the backup - files & folders / primary partition / logical partition{s} / complete HDD?

04.) Is it still possible to take another backup?

elohelomg

its the new 2013 version. i did a full backup and yes, i can back up again if necessary...

Good, just a couple of more queries:-

01.) By the new version of 2013 - do you mean Acronis True Image Home 2013_6514 (previous versions have an implementation issue and Acronis True Image Home 2013_5587 was actually withdrawn.

02.) Did you use an ATI installation or did you use an ATI BootCD?

stylemessiah

So I ended up needing to actually restore an image onto one of the computers...for those of you read the old post, you'll know what im talking about.

Anyway, its a windows xp machine that i created a restore for using acronis, and wanted to image it using the universal restore option on another computer, but the bugger wont boot. originally, it complained about not having the pci drivers, but i downloaded them and selected the path and the recovery process goes smoothly.

when the computer is rebooted, it boots directly into a system recovery thing that manufacturers put in, but not the actual os.

i feel like the MBR didn't copy well, but who knows...any advice?

It indeed doesnt look like the MBR copied properly

to save yourself some time, if youre able to do another backup, i'd do that and make sure the MBR is selected and do and tick the option to verify after image creation.

Or you could maybe just use Hirens or other boot cd and write the MBR. It would be much quicker then doing whole backup again.

elohelomg

Or you could maybe just use Hirens or other boot cd and write the MBR. It would be much quicker then doing whole backup again.

this is what i plan on doing.

Good, just a couple of more queries:-

01.) By the new version of 2013 - do you mean Acronis True Image Home 2013_6514 (previous versions have an implementation issue and Acronis True Image Home 2013_5587 was actually withdrawn.

02.) Did you use an ATI installation or did you use an ATI BootCD?

i cant confirm the version number as of right now. i can say it is the one on nsane's page.

I used the bootcd to restore the image.

I'd suggest doing a test-drive backup-restore with the latest BootCD only on the primary partition.

With Acronis, the MBR issue wont arise during backup (MBR is backed up automatically) - you need to however, ensure that you select it during restore and earmark it to the correct partition (primary.)

It's likely that the problem is that the factory recovery partition rather than the windows system partition has been marked as the active partition.

Hi all,

Just for information about Acronis with Universal Restore:

Acronis True Image Home with Universal Restore

It is important to understand that any Windows image created with Acronis (*. Tib) is compatible with Universal Restore. Universal Restore is offered at the time of image restoration and not at the time of creation functionality. Needless to redo all your images to use Universal Restore, which is a great advantage!
How does it work?

Universal Restore work with pilots:in format *
inf, * or * sys or *.oem....
If you download the drivers in *. Exe, *. Cab or *. Zip, you will need to extract all first with 7Zip for example.

Some notes to consider about Universal Restore:

Universal Restore does not support the search for drivers on the FTP server (prefer locally on disk or usb or via an SMB network share)
Acronis Universal Restore fixes the registry and install the new drivers after the system restore. You must therefore ensure that the location of the drivers will still be available. For example, do not specify a search path for the drivers on the same drive that you use to restore the backup. We recommend that you put the drivers on a USB hard drive separate USB or a network share.
The Acronis Universal Restore option does not work if a computer is booted with Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (using F11) or the backup image is located in Acronis Secure Zone. This is because Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and Acronis Secure Zone are primarily meant for instant data recovery on the same computer.
Works with Windows XP, Vista and 7 (all versions)

If you do not specify the drivers of the machine on which you get the picture Universal Restore will have no effect.

I was slow. Three points.

1) There is no point in copying the factory recovery partiton to the new machine. You almost certainly will not be able to do a factory recovery from it - by design it will not alllow that, so it's just a waste of space.

2) The boot.ini file should be checked. It might be pointing at the wrong partition. Usually, but not always, the partition numbers match their positions on the disk. The partion number cannot be determined by it's geometric position on the disk. Acronis Disk Director versions before 2011 could report the partition number, the later home editions don't seem to have that capability. It's possible that ATIH may automatically edit the boot.in file for you.

3) Microsoft might not let you activate it on the new machine, as your XP will be an OEM version. You'll have to give them a sob story about your motherboard dying to have a decent chance of success.

elohelomg

turns out for some reason it kept setting it to logical instead of primary and having it live.

adjusted it and walla, it worked :P

Pleased to see you got it going. I was about to post to say that I very much doubt that the MBR copied badly.

Archived