ESET v4 Fixes

shought

@box / mara-

If entering a trial-key makes x64 products update successfully, could it be that your fix is not actually converting x64s 100% to trial?

Could it be that the username/password is incidental and something is being missed by your fix?

Just a thought anyhoo :dance2:

Cheers

I tried it on XP64. It uses eval servers to update. Just about 90% done, ESET asks for u/p. I tried it with and without and still the same. It wants a u/p but it is not eset/eset.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Views 133.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Hoca

Sorry, my mistake. egui.exe is modified when you remove trial marks. If you don't use this option, just registry permissions is modified, so trial lock works same as boxforever.

And don't worry, trial will never drop from 31.

I don't really know what is with U/P problem on x64 systems, it worked before with eset as U/P. It seems that you'll have to get trial key to convert from retail to trial and after conversion U/P can be removed.

@shought

Contact me on MSN, so we can talk about the list you sent me.

Cheers :dance2:

I'll contact you on MSN mara- :dance2:

About the fix: I think you shouldn't include the option of removing the watermarks, they're not annoying and I think it takes a lot of the file size to accomplish this... Also rather than using AutoIt to ENABLE Self-defense I'd recommend just having a popup box, this way ESET won't mark your file as a virus. But I'll talk to you guys on MSN :lol: My aim is as least as possible instructions in the readme and as most as possible in the windows/popups :D

Excuse me, I want to know the best process to uninstall Nodlogin 9.9b ?

I have nodlogin 9.9b, and it work perfectly but I just want to know how the best clean process to uninstall.

I'll contact you on MSN mara- :dance2:

About the fix: I think you shouldn't include the option of removing the watermarks, they're not annoying and I think it takes a lot of the file size to accomplish this... Also rather than using AutoIt to ENABLE Self-defense I'd recommend just having a popup box, this way ESET won't mark your file as a virus. But I'll talk to you guys on MSN :lol: My aim is as least as possible instructions in the readme and as most as possible in the windows/popups :D

None of my options is responsible for NOD marking it as a virus. I'm protecting my code from reading and that is why it marks it as virus. Also, I want to leave that option for trial mark, it is optional anyway. Also, I would like to avoid any ReadMe files, it does not look nice. In my opinion there is no need for any ReadMe. Everything is explained in the fix. Also, if Self-Defense is enabled, fix can not be applied, and if user does not meet requirements for trial marks removal option is also disabled. Other information can be found by clicking on the 'Info...'

Cheers ;)

Excuse me, I want to know the best process to uninstall Nodlogin 9.9b ?

I have nodlogin 9.9b, and it work perfectly but I just want to know how the best clean process to uninstall.

delete c:/programfiles/ullisoft

delete hklm/software/ullisoft (register)

Hello.

mara-box installed and manually updated on A/V.417 x86 yesterday, no trial marks, self defense on. I am not online at home. At appointed update time, offline, NOD32 icon turned orange and security icon came on indicating NOD32 out of date. When I came back online, I manually updated and and icon returned to normal and security icon closed. I still had to force the update, but if previous patterns hold, automatic update will work in the next several days. The fix appears solid so far. U/P blank at this time. Should I change this?

My only problem came during the installation from the front page download, as I indicated in a previous message. I wonder if anyone else has had problems with this source.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

chrisTM out.

@Hoca

Sorry, my mistake. egui.exe is modified when you remove trial marks. If you don't use this option, just registry permissions is modified, so trial lock works same as boxforever.

And don't worry, trial will never drop from 31.

I don't really know what is with U/P problem on x64 systems, it worked before with eset as U/P. It seems that you'll have to get trial key to convert from retail to trial and after conversion U/P can be removed.

@shought

Contact me on MSN, so we can talk about the list you sent me.

Cheers :D

flcracker78
Where to get and how to get a trial key please?

I got mine from the "serial provider" link on the front page...

First disable Self Defense, run the fix and select "unfix", enter a "EAV-#######" u/p from the link, update, then run the fix and enable self defense. Worked for me, I received one update automatically and was able to manually update again just a minute ago.

Thanks guys! :D

@mara-

Do you not think that if the U/P can be discarded after the trial-key conversion on an XP64 system this is suggesting something is being missed when your tool tries to convert it to trial? otherwise why can U/P be discarded after the official conversion? :lmao: The common denominator here seems to be the conversion and NOT the U/P?

I do not like the idea of running patched files in AV software on my main pc and I am sure many others feel the same? I do feel it is essential to state VERY CLEARLY in your fix that removing the watermarks WILL patch egui.exe.

I agree with you in principal that a readme is not necessarily needed with this latest Fix, but some of the wording could do with being adjusted to fully negate the need for further instructions.

If you do not mind, I will play with the Fix more later and pass on any constructive ideas I have on how the wording etc could be modified to explain more fully what is happening?

I have not yet found any box/mara- fix being identified as a virus by ESET? (apart from an older one for ESET 3.x BoxMaraEset3Fix_Uninstall.exe) though I have always installed ESET 3.x/4.x without Threatsense.net being enabled, as I felt this was overkill and just offered ESET a further excuse to call home? I would have thought you get all you need from the virus signatures, so I do not see the need for Threatsense.net? And I have certainly never been affected by a virus whilst using ESET (from 2.7 onwards) only a malware problem (as severe as it was! :) ) as described earlier in the forum.

Threatsense.net= "This system can submit new threats to ESET's lab... " hmmm what else does it submit back to ESET? :D

I did wonder if it was because I did not select this that I was able to happily use the old BoxMaraEset3Fix1.4 - (auto) for so long when so many others had reporting it had stopped working? So it does seem odd that as my main puter is switched on 24/7 it was able to run for so much longer than others had felt was likely with such an old fix?

I have purposely scanned the new box, mara- fix v1.0 with ESS 4.0.417 and it said it was clean, I even enabled Potentially Unsafe/Unwanted Application and it still felt it was ok? What is going on? :) Do we have any evidence at all that Threatsence.net informs ESET products about new viruses and not just up to date info on the latest medicines available? :lol:

Has anyone tried installing ESET 4.0.417 with box, mara- fix v1.0 without enabling Threatsense.net? Wondered if this was worth a try to get round the U/P issue? I do not think it would be enough to un-tick the TS box, you would have to un-install/re-install ESET at the very least to be TS free.

More later when I have more time :D

Cheers

I don't know why ESET prompts for U/P. It might be some problems on their side, since there is only problem in x64 versions, and I did not miss anything. You say you don't like patching egui.exe but I almost don't change anything. This is 100% safe. This is just simple resource modify. If you ever used Resource Hacker, you'll know what I'm talking. You can find a lot of information about this and you'll figure that it is safe. If you still don't like it, don't use it, I made it optional because of that.

Cheers :D

Hello.

All seems good with mara, box fix v1 on my end. In addition to my previous post/reply, automatic update is working and all protection enabled.

Thanks again.

chrisTM out.

I don't know why ESET prompts for U/P. It might be some problems on their side, since there is only problem in x64 versions, and I did not miss anything. You say you don't like patching egui.exe but I almost don't change anything. This is 100% safe. This is just simple resource modify. If you ever used Resource Hacker, you'll know what I'm talking. You can find a lot of information about this and you'll figure that it is safe. If you still don't like it, don't use it, I made it optional because of that.

Cheers :)

@mara-

What do you think to these changes to the Fix GUI?

About dialogue:

Remove line "This fix does not modifies any ESET file" replace with "ESET files are only modified if user selects "Remove trial marks in ESET"

Add compatibility list of ESET products, if it is backwards compatible to ESET 3.x then let folk know this :)

Main window:

Revise line "Remove trial marks in ESET" to "Remove trial marks in ESET (requires patching of egui.exe)" (or ESET file?)

I have noticed that clicking Info at different stages through the fixing process brings up different information relevant to to what is happening at that moment, I think it would be more user friendly if it was made more obvious to the user that more/different info can be gained by clicking Info again? It is only because I have spent a while playing with it that I have stumbled across this. Is it possible that rather than saying just Info, that the word could change in some way to make it evident that if the user clicks it a second time further information can be sought?

________

I think I have just found a glitch in the box, mara- fix v1.0?

I have just tried unFixing the machine I installed ESS 4.0.417 Retail + box, mara- fix v1.0 / WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit yesterday. I had originally selected to remove watermarks and enable SD after reboot, then clicked Fix It, all was well from this point and it had updated without problems.

Once UnFixed I applied the fix again this time only selecting enable SD and NOT remove watermarks. All seemed to go ok, but when I rebooted AFTER clicking Fix It as it closed down whilst the Shutting Down screen is being shown, I hear an error bong. When the machine starts it now says the sigs are out of date? The sigs I have are 3984 (20090402) which are currently the latest sigs!

I manually check for an Update and it then says Update is not necessary - the virus sigs are up to date, I restart and the loop begins again.

Has anyone else found this?

The only thing I can think of is I did not reboot between using UnFix and running Fix It again? Would this matter?

If a user HAS TO reboot, I think it may be an idea to force a reboot as you do when enable SD is selected?

Cheers

Once UnFixed I applied the fix again this time only selecting enable SD and NOT remove watermarks. All seemed to go ok, but when I rebooted AFTER clicking Fix It as it closed down whilst the Shutting Down screen is being shown, I hear an error bong. When the machine starts it now says the sigs are out of date? The sigs I have are 3984 (20090402) which are currently the latest sigs!

I manually check for an Update and it then says Update is not necessary - the virus sigs are up to date, I restart and the loop begins again.

The only thing I can think of is I did not reboot between using UnFix and running Fix It again? Would this matter?

If a user HAS TO reboot, I think it may be an idea to force a reboot as you do when enable SD is selected?

Cheers

Bong you hear is not from the fix and it is not caused by the fix. That is something with you system. When fix is applied all servers are deleted and information about the last update is performed is also deleted. This is done to get latest servers from Eset. What about the loop you are mentioning, what happens again?

No need to reboot between UnFixing and Fixing.

I'll consider your suggestion. And it's good that you mentioned compatibility. Fix is working for V3, but trial marks removal probably not. I'll have to disable that option if earlier version is detected.

Cheers :)

I have always disabled Esets Threatsense feature for the reason you indicated (that it gives EAV/ESS another reason to phone home) although I do not think it is likely it provides them with info re how the program is setup, but possible info re the user name and pw, but of course I don't really know. It just seems safer to keep that feature (which is essentially useless for the end user) disabled. I believe, however, that all Threatsense does is send copies of files to ESET that are not identified by the virus signature database but rather are flagged by heuristics or advanced heuristics as possible malware. This theoretically provides Eset labs with a faster ability to identify new malware from the wild and create additional signatures for it to add to the signature database. (Although I wonder why, if it is already being identified by heuristics or advanced heuristics, why would a signature even be needed?) Anyway, imo, it certainly is not necessary for individual users to have Threatsense enabled, so I never have allowed that feature to be active.

One thing I really like about Eset's products is the amount of user configurability and customization that is available.

On another subject, I am still using the Shelomo&tuvi regupdate1 x64 fix that is supposed to be good until 5/22/09 and that continues to function flawlessly with self defense enabled (although I don't really know if SD is fully working or not. I know that Eset's files cannot be modified but I'm not sure about the registry. Anyway I think all this particular fix did was to modify the registry in some manner but there is no info on how to reset the registry back to the way it was originally or otherwise "uninstall" this fix though and I would like to know how to do that, if anyone has any suggestions on that. :)

Anyway, when 5/22 roles around and my current fix "expires," my plan is to switch to the then current version of Nodlogin. I installed 9.9b with ESS 4.0.417 on another x86 machine and it is working flawlessly so far with SD enabled. Like others here, I greatly appreciate all the effort mara, box, marsu, etc., have been putting into perfecting trial fixes, and it sure is great to have those alternative options available, but as long as the license finder type apps like nodlogin are working well, my preference is to use those. In fact, if I knew how to uninstall the Shelomo&tuvi x64 fix, I would switch to nodlogin now. But with the other fix installed, all nodlogin does is to tell me that my license is valid everytime I use it to check. :P

Re the watermark removal on the trial fixes: If I was using a trial fix, I would never want to remove any watermarks. They never bothered me anyway.

@mara-

I think I have just found a glitch in the box, mara- fix v1.0?

I have just tried unFixing the machine I installed ESS 4.0.417 Retail + box, mara- fix v1.0 / WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit yesterday. I had originally selected to remove watermarks and enable SD after reboot, then clicked Fix It, all was well from this point and it had updated without problems.

Cheers

On XP Pro SP3 x86 System I changed from Box4ever to box-mara fix for ESS 4.0.417 Trial, after re-boot the icon turned orange & said "Sig out of date" & showed "last up-date 3-12-09 even though I had the latest sig. Upon Manual Up-date it went through the motion & then the icon turned Blue & showed the correct Last Update time. Everything is now running smoothly including Auto-update.

Thanks to box & mara for the fix. icon1.gif

@Mo Husen:

Go to Setup (press F5) > Tools > System Updates > set to No Updates

You will have no orange icon again :)

@Mo Husen:

Go to Setup (press F5) > Tools > System Updates > set to No Updates

You will have no orange icon again :)

I was talking about virus updates, not xp updates. icon1.gif

@Mo Husen:

It would affect the icon of NOD32 if it finds the XP updates lacking :)

@mara-

The error after UnFix/Fix It is VERY unlikely to be an error with the test system, this was a completely clean install of WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit, as with any fix testing I Ghost the machine back to basics to ensure 100% there are no left overs from previous ESET/Fix installs, and the OS is rock solid. It is the same install of XP I have used to test all recent fixes the last few months without having any issues.

The "Loop":

Since using the box, mara- fix a second time, each time I start the test pc at boot I have a red ESET icon and it pops up a balloon saying "Your system is exposed to risk... " I open the ESET window and it tells me "Virus signature database is out of date" Keep in mind I know it already has the latest sigs! I run a manual update, it then says Update is not necessary - the virus sigs are up to date, the ESET icon returns to turquoise.

I shut down the system I get an error bong and when I switch it back on it's back to telling me the sigs are out of date again?!

If I do NOT run a manual update, and shut the machine down with a red ESET tray icon I do not get get an error bong.

So with each reboot, even with the latest sigs already in place it tells me they are out of date and I should update, not forgetting the error bong when closing down.

Have you tried to repeat what I have described in Post #989? Once a system has a patched egui.exe, UnPatch it, then apply the fix again minus the watermark removal?

________

People should not mix up a red/orange ESET tray icons? Orange is only telling you that ESET feels you are not bang-up-to-date with Windows Update? It has nothing to do with virus sigs, sigs will only make the tray icon go red, not orange :)

Hello.

I had a related. occurrence on a Vista sp1 x86 installation. See my post #984. I assumed it might be related to the automatic update in NOD32. It appeared to attempt to update when I was offline, and at that time current, and when unsuccessful, communicated with Vista Security Center. Security Center communicated that NOD32 was out of date and triggered its tray icon. NOD32 also indicated out of date and its tray icon turned ORANGE. When back online, I updated NOD32 to 3984 definitions and the Security Center icon turned off. NOD32 icon became EMERALD.

All other operations appear normal.

I'll leave my computer on while offline for an extended period tonight and see if the problem happens again.

chrisTM out.

@mara-

The error after UnFix/Fix It is VERY unlikely to be an error with the test system, this was a completely clean install of WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit, as with any fix testing I Ghost the machine back to basics to ensure 100% there are no left overs from previous ESET/Fix installs, and the OS is rock solid. It is the same install of XP I have used to test all recent fixes the last few months without having any issues.

The "Loop":

Since using the box, mara- fix a second time, each time I start the test pc at boot I have a red ESET icon and it pops up a balloon saying "Your system is exposed to risk... " I open the ESET window and it tells me "Virus signature database is out of date" Keep in mind I know it already has the latest sigs! I run a manual update, it then says Update is not necessary - the virus sigs are up to date, the ESET icon returns to turquoise.

I shut down the system I get an error bong and when I switch it back on it's back to telling me the sigs are out of date again?!

If I do NOT run a manual update, and shut the machine down with a red ESET tray icon I do not get get an error bong.

So with each reboot, even with the latest sigs already in place it tells me they are out of date and I should update, not forgetting the error bong when closing down.

Have you tried to repeat what I have described in Post #989? Once a system has a patched egui.exe, UnPatch it, then apply the fix again minus the watermark removal?

________

People should not mix up a red/orange ESET tray icons? Orange is only telling you that ESET feels you are not bang-up-to-date with Windows Update? It has nothing to do with virus sigs, sigs will only make the tray icon go red, not orange :)

@chrisTM

Do you have NOD32 monitoring Windows Update?

I like many others choose to be the one that adds updates to my system so I never use Windows Update :)

Because of this ESET will always feel there is a problem with my pc so in relation to this ESET turns the tray icon orange (I have not used NOD32 4.x so I am unsure if the system updates warning colour is also orange in just the AV product?)

Have you tried switching off the part of NOD32 that monitors system updates?

ESET > F5 > Tools > System updates > Notify about missing updates from level: set this to 'No updates'

See if that helps?

In relation to your earlier post #957

"Once again, the installation from the front page download was sketchy, at least on my end. The installer hung at the end and I had to hard boot"

What do you mean by sketchy? :s

I have never had an ESET install hang on me? ESET 4.x takes considerably longer than 3.x to install due to differences it has had to implement to please UAC in Vista / W7, and on a slow pc it can seem to take an age to install (it seems to take an age because it does! :battle: LOL) so you just have to be patient :P

Cheers

MiNODLogin 3.2.5.9 is out!

Changes:

The information was corrected on the version of the components of the

program.

Site: http://www.box.net

Sharecode: /shared/ce6zm7nlkc

MiNODLogin 3.2.5.9

Change Log:

It corrected the information about the version of the program components.

Archived