[Solved] How do I upgrade from Windows 8 Core to Windows 8 Pro?

ShaCrystal

I bought a new laptop at the start of this year that came with Windows 8 Core preinstalled. Due to all the crapware that was installed by default, I reinstalled Windows 8 using an official ISO disk image obtained from MyDigitalLife. I planned to activate Windows 8 Pro via KMS, as this method was the only way I was aware of at the time. I also wanted Windows 8 Pro as there are a few features included in that edition that I use that aren't available in the core edition.

However, my installation has been already activated/validated as Windows 8 Core without me doing anything... I didn't even have to enter a product key! I assume that upon installation Windows can tell that it is being reinstalled on a system that came with Windows 8 Core preinstalled, and keeps all licencing/activation info intact, as the computer came with Windows already legitimately installed.

How would I go about upgrading to Windows 8 Pro?

Can I just run slmgr /ipk <Windows 8 Pro Key> then activate via phone/kms following the instructions here? http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/153807-windows-8-pro-with-wmc-genuine-permanent-phone-activation/

Or if I do that will it break my activation and say Windows is not genuine?

I hope that someone can make sense of this, please ask my any questions if what I am saying is unclear.

In summary what I am trying to do is upgrade the preinstalled edition of Windows 8 Core to Windows 8 Pro. I already have Windows 8 Core legitimately activated.

• Replies 11
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
november_ra1n

3. Activate Activate W8 Pro With Promotional WMC
Go to Microsoft Offer Page and input your e-mail, you will receive your free product key. This offer expired

Use your existing Promotional WMC KEY or one of the leak keys on the pastebin link there >>>

4.Go To Control Panel\System and Security\System
20130105110209.png

Click on Get More Features with a new edition of Windows

5. Click I already have a product key.
20130105110401.png

6. Enter Your WMC Promotional Product Key and stay online!
20130105110449.png

7. Tick accept the license terms
20130105110505.png

8. Windows will include WMC features and will be restart automatically

After adding WMC Features your windows will restart after that you may need to re activate WMC using the same keys offline again via skype DONE!

Go to Microsoft Offer Page and input your e-mail, you will receive your free product key.

When I follow that link, there is no box to input an e-mail. I believe that promotional offer where you could get a free upgrade to Windows 8 Pro has ended. Should I just go ahead with the procedure posted by dcs18?

november_ra1n

Go to Microsoft Offer Page and input your e-mail, you will receive your free product key.

When I follow that link, there is no box to input an e-mail. I believe that promotional offer where you could get a free upgrade to Windows 8 Pro has ended. Should I just go ahead with the procedure posted by dcs18?

Yes i added the topic reply promotion over but if you already have key from the offer use it or check your pm i will send you 9 WMC Retail keys if first one does not work try others surely some should work last time i checked few days ago they were all good. If you are on core edition you need to upgrade Pro using one of the retail keys then if you wanna add WMC use WMC Retail key to upgrade and read the topic as dc 18 mention also there is a video instruction!

animatedgifemail.gif >>> PM send!

Thank you all for the fast replies. I have inserted the key via the "Add features to Windows 8" entry box. However nothing has happened in the last 15 minutes after pressing okay. Is this normal?

Attached is a screenshot so you know what I'm talking about.

post-63028-0-46142300-1366890713_thumb.p

Please help!

My system has now restarted, but is in "Notification Mode". What I have done is inserted the first Windows 8 Pro key that was PM'ed to me into the "Add features to Windows 8" entry box. Should I now activate using the offline Skype method?

post-63028-0-13062600-1366891736_thumb.p

post-63028-0-57932800-1366891751_thumb.p

Okay I am all sorted! I made the mistake of being online when I first entered the Windows 8 Pro product key into the "Add features to Windows 8" entry box.

​To fix the problem, and become activated I re-entered the key while offline, then hit "Activate by phone" and activated via Skype. Thank you all for the help, I have learnt a lot and now have Windows 8 Pro!

You guys are really awesome november_ra1n and dcs18, you have made my day!

Glad the Board was of help to you - please do not forget to also backup the new activation as outlined in my first post, here. ;)

Archived