Is it possible today to protect a sistem with 128MB SDRAM ?

AlienForce1

AlienForce1

:pos:

The sistem has AMD proc. / 900MHz , 128MB SDRAM , Windows XP-SP3 .

Other than throw it on the window :P , is it possible today to protect this system (Windows must be kept) ? :pissed:

What do you think ?

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yes:

Do not use internet :lol:

Use sandboxie or old version of avast. B)

you can also use it without any protection and use common sense :P

If you mean Antivirus, then you should try webroot secure anywhere because it is the lightest protection in the planet. 719 KB and uses 5MB RAM.

Why not?

It all depends upon User proficiency (I often run my system without any protection whatsoever - for months, on end.) 8)

You could maybe run MSE and a low memory FP firewall like Ghostwall.

Airstream_Bill

For the heck of it you may also try eBoostr it may help with cashing. Just a thought.

Hard to believe you still running with those specs while RAM very cheaps nowadays. Its very old RAM :D

more suffer than enjoy

Is it DDR? If so, you can add another 512 MB stick (for a total of 640 MB). Costs about $10-$15. 1GB DDR modules go for $20-$25 ;) That will definitely do wonders for your PC in the short term :yes:

That will definitely also allow you to run a low footprint AV like Avast or AVG. MSE can't hurt either. Stick to Windows Firewall. Yes, the XP version of that sucks, but with that much RAM, it's not like you have a lot of options on that front. :)

P.S. - Could you mention the motherboard you're using? Is it a desktop or a laptop? :dunno:

If you meant; protecting the hardware - be rest assured, nobody will ever try to steal this exclusive system. :P

:pos:

The sistem has AMD proc. / 900MHz , 128MB SDRAM , Windows XP-SP3 .

Other than throw it on the window :P , is it possible today to protect this system (Windows must be kept) ? :pissed:

What do you think ?

your computer will be valuable antiques after April 8.2014 :lol:

• Administrator

The lowest I ran my XP on was 256MB RAM. And in those days, I was an avid user of the most sh*tty AV ever, called AVG. After upgrading to 512MB of RAM, I switched to ESET 3, which was light and effective.

So yes, you should get a bigger RAM stick and you'll have to worry less about the system and more about security. :)

Airstream_Bill

If you meant; protecting the hardware - be rest assured, nobody will ever try to steal this exclusive system. :P

I do not think I could add anything to your comment. I want to but I can't. Ha ha

AlienForce1

Why not?

It all depends upon User proficiency (I often run my system without any protection whatsoever - for months, on end.) 8)

It`s a client`s PC (not mine) - the user doesn`t have any ideea of PC security , only knows to start the PC and use some simple applications :sadwalk:

AlienForce1

If you mean Antivirus, then you should try webroot secure anywhere because it is the lightest protection in the planet. 719 KB and uses 5MB RAM.

I`m not that sure that Webroot can do it`s job to protect a PC ... :thumbsdown:

(Published on Apr 12, 2013)

I guess he's using outdated apps which is IMO bigger risk.

Panda Cloud Anti-Virus free. It requires 64MB.

As for Webroot, meaning Antivirus component, it requires 128MB, it's not free, and it's not pure anti-virus - and that will cause slowdowns.

What do you mean by "protect"?

Antivirus

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/167655-is-it-possible-today-to-protect-a-sistem-with-128mb-sdram/#entry569068

As for Webroot, meaning Antivirus component, it requires 128MB, it's not free, and it's not pure anti-virus - and that will cause slowdowns.

It may require 128 MB but runs at 5 MB. Not free. It has never disappointed me. It's been nearly 6 month since I have been using it.

What do you mean by "protect"?

Antivirus

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/167655-is-it-possible-today-to-protect-a-sistem-with-128mb-sdram/#entry569068

It may require 128 MB but runs at 5 MB. Not free. It has never disappointed me It's been nearly 6 month since I have been using it.

I agree, and there is a 180 trial on here (nsane) somewhere....It is without doubt the lightest AV availible right now.

use deepfreeze on the system.then you do not need any antivirus . or you could use microsoft security Essentials (the best would be to place more ram in ) or getting something newer.

yesh ju can protect urs Sis....tem :rolleyes:

keep it safe with less meomry eater ant-virus as mention by others.... but if possible dont throw urs system,,keep it with you..its classic remembrance ;)

Archived