Windows 8.1 build 9369 includes ReFS support

visualbuffs

visualbuffs

59sea9.png

With the leak of build Windows 8.1 9369, we have another look into the development of the platform as Microsoft marches towards what is expected to be a late summer release of the platform, and a preview release in late June. We have already seen a few enhancements such as the File manager and trackpad settings and it now looks like we will also see ReFS support for the client.

The image you see above is from the latest leaked build of 8.1 and it clearly shows that ReFS support is present in 9369. Now, Microsoft could pull the support for the file system before launch of the platform but as of now, it is looking like the updated file system will make its way to Windows 8.1.

What is ReFS? Well, it's a file system that made its debut back in 2012 and builds upon NTFS. The platform brings enhanced support for large volumes and improved reliability for on-disk structures. In addition, the platform ties into existing APIs and "ReFS supports existing Windows and NTFS features such as BitLocker encryption, Access Control Lists, USN Journal, change notifications".

While this change will not bring many noticeable improvements to the end user, it's an enhancement to the underlying technology that will deliver improved stability and performance which the end user can appreciate.

While we hope to see this file system make its way in to the release of Windows 8.1, anything can change before launch.

Source: Windows4Live | Wikipedia

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem with ReFS there are no current 3rd party defragmenters that will work. You are stuck using windows.

• Administrator

Problem with ReFS there are no current 3rd party defragmenters that will work. You are stuck using windows.

Some indications that ReFS might not be so hard for defrag softwares to support / implement.

Windows 7 Support?

I want to test that refs on my computer

I think you should not expect too much. I doubt there will ever be new features on Windows 7. If a recall well it's even the first time they add such feature(s) in their actual OS without "forcing" the users to buy a newer version.

• Administrator

Windows 7 Support?

I want to test that refs on my computer

I think you should not expect too much. I doubt there will ever be new features on Windows 7. If a recall well it's even the first time they add such feature(s) in their actual OS without "forcing" the users to buy a newer version.

Well, DirectX 11.1 for one wasn't going to come to Windows 7, for which, after public outcry, Microsoft announced half of it for the OS.

However, I seriously doubt that ReFS will even come near Windows 7. It has probably a lot to do with how the OS works.

NTFS >-----> New Technology File System

ReFS >-----> ?

• Administrator

This kinda sucks:

Some NTFS features are not supported in ReFS, including named streams, object IDs, short names, file compression, file level encryption (EFS), user data transactions, hard links, extended attributes, and disk quotas. Sparse files was not supported by Preview, but it is supported by RTM. ReFS does not itself offer data deduplication. Dynamic disks with mirrored or striped volumes are replaced with mirrored or striped storage pools provided by Storage Spaces. However, in Windows Server 2012, automated error-correction is only supported on mirrored spaces, and booting from ReFS is not supported either.

Wiki.

NTFS >-----> New Technology File System

ReFS >-----> ?

Resilient File System,

Amongst, Beta-testers ReFS goes by the codename Protogon.

This kinda sucks:

Some NTFS features are not supported in ReFS, including named streams, object IDs, short names, file compression, file level encryption (EFS), user data transactions, hard links, extended attributes, and disk quotas. Sparse files was not supported by Preview, but it is supported by RTM. ReFS does not itself offer data deduplication. Dynamic disks with mirrored or striped volumes are replaced with mirrored or striped storage pools provided by Storage Spaces. However, in Windows Server 2012, automated error-correction is only supported on mirrored spaces, and booting from ReFS is not supported either.

Wiki.

If I'm not wrong, like any Linux system (with default partition managment) you create a small boot partition that make you start Windows in a ReFS one. So there's no big deal.

A boot partition doesn't need any of the feature included in ReFS nor NTFS. That why, by exemple, Debian create a ext2 boot partition by default, leaving the system/home/others to be ext3/4.

so....should i be using this new file system..(new HP notebook win8 64bit) or will most likely farg up my computer i switch? not a newbie but also not one you experts here

• Administrator

so....should i be using this new file system..(new HP notebook win8 64bit) or will most likely farg up my computer i switch? not a newbie but also not one you experts here

I think as of now, no one would be able to answer that question. Will have to wait for the time being. :)

keep your important data away from new file systems, they might still contain some race conditions which could corrupt your data, stick with the old and well tested

We don't even know if the Windows installer will be updated with this feature for users to be able to format disks and install Windows with this new filesytstem. But for now you surely won't benefit at all from using this new file system if you are just using your system a commonly way.

Archived