Have an older PC? Try the new Ubuntu based LXLE

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

xTPv0Zh.jpg

For users of Microsoft Windows, frequent hardware upgrades tend to be a fact of life in order to keep each new iteration of the resources-hungry operating system running smoothly.

Not so Linux, however, which is renowned for its generally small footprint and minimal hardware demands.

Some Linux distributions do even better at this than others, however, and I've already covered Puppy Linux as one shining example of those that excel on low-resources PCs. Recently, however, another one made its debut: LXLE, a brand-new Ubuntu Linux spin created specifically for older hardware.

'Lubuntu Extra Life Extension'

Linux fans may already be familiar with Lubuntu, a lightweight Ubuntu derivative that uses the LXDE desktop environment.

LXLE, which is short for “Lubuntu Extra Life Extension,” is actually based on Lubuntu 12.04, but it adds many extra features. First and foremost, LXLE is designed “to try to remain as light as possible while providing an incredibly rich environment of programs, features, and aesthetics,” the project team explains.

Among the new features offered in LXLE are the “Greybird” theme, beautiful wallpapers, menu and window shadows, and the Conky system monitor. An AeroSnap-like feature, meanwhile, aims to make managing multiple windows easier.

Three different versions

Perhaps more essential, the open source software also includes drivers and utilities for older graphics and audio hardware that get dropped “too quickly” from Lubuntu on account of its six-month core release cycle, the developers say.

At the same time, LXLE includes updated versions of key applications such as LibreOffice, GIMP, and OpenShot.

The LXLE project plans to offer incremental updates until the next Ubuntu LTS release, which is due in April of next year.

LXLE is now available in a 64-bit version as well as two different 32-bit versions: one targeting newer computers with “a lot of RAM” and one aimed at older computers without Physical Address Extension (PAE) support. Whichever version you choose, the 1.5GB download is free on the project site.

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stylemessiah

Hopefully its quicker than Ubuntu which is the slowest kludgiest Linux ever, i assume so.

Always amusing to compare Mint (the best Ubuntu derivative) with Ubuntu, Mint which is based on Ubuntu is far quicker, so you have to wonder why cant Ubuntu fix their crap.

Sounds promising. I wonder how it'll fair when compared with Xubuntu though. They both seem to be targeting very similar objectives.

Hopefully its quicker than Ubuntu which is the slowest kludgiest Linux ever, i assume so.

Always amusing to compare Mint (the best Ubuntu derivative) with Ubuntu, Mint which is based on Ubuntu is far quicker, so you have to wonder why cant Ubuntu fix their crap.

If you find Ubuntu being sluggish on your PC, just build it up from the minimal version.

agree with Mohd; this is a failure; it takes mountains to overtake windows and even if destined to happen, wait a minimum of 30 years

stylemessiah

Sounds promising. I wonder how it'll fair when compared with Xubuntu though. They both seem to be targeting very similar objectives.

If you find Ubuntu being sluggish on your PC, just build it up from the minimal version.

But i can install the full version of Mint without customising the install and it works fine :)

Ubuntu is the problem, its badly implemented

I have to admit Ubuntu's default desktop "Unity" is a piece of crap. Even on higher end machines it's a CPU hog for no reason.

If they rewrote it to have a 2D version (which it did have at one point) that could run along side an optimised 3D version that does not constantly take up CPU time then great, people with all sorts of computers would be using the same interface without any performance hit, not to mention things like web browsers are not as smooth with Unity which is just crap. But yes I just have the LUBUNTU desktop installed on the official UBUNTU which works well, there's nothing stopping people installing what they like so it's a non issue really.

ROMANTICGUY50

I have Ubuntu 12.10 on my wife's computer now. She is not happy with it at all. If I did Lubuntu on DVD would it overwrite it or would I have to erase the hard drive of her computer?

Could you share this nice wallpaper?

Source or image would be nice.

Thanks.

Haha, I've had that exact wallpaper not long ago. :D

Archived