[Solved] Alarm clock that un-mutes.

smallhagrid

smallhagrid

Edit:

See Ramjade's post for the most perfect solution !!!

Today GAOTD offered 'Alarm Clock Pro' v9.5.4 by Koingo and it reminded me of this...

(Also today R3C0N shared an alarm app here, and it reminded me to look around again for one that can un-mute the PC - and I all I found was that same new one by Koingo and ones for OSX.)

(I hope it is OK to ask this here ??)

When I go to sleep I leave my PC on but with it's screen off and also mute the sounds - then I unmute it when I wake up the next day...usually too late.

I would like to use the PC to help me wake up on time too, but with it muted for all sounds that is not possible. (And my PC uses XP SP2 so I need an app that is compatible.)

I did find a fix for 'Alarm Clock Pro' for v9.23 but cannot find the 'matching' installer at all.

All the versions I could try are not around anymore - only mentioned at foreign sites that try to hijack the browser and then do nothing...

Can anyone here share with me the older installer for v9.23, or recommend anything that would do this - unmute the PC and play an alarm or MP3 to wake me up at the time I set it for ??

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
someone there

You can create a vbs file to mute the sound and unmute it .
then you shedule this file to run at the time you want through task scheduler
Remember the first run will mute the sound, and the second run will unmute the sound and vise versa if the sound is already in mute mode.

the vbs codes inside the spoiler:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.SendKeys(chr(173))

Copy and paste these two lines in a new text file and save it with any name you like and change it's extension to : .vbs

Edit :

You can make your own alarm without any third party by scheduling any sound file in your machine to run at any time you choose..

or you could use Wake up News v5.0...

It will do all the things you asked for.

* Auto-Unmute - Wake up News will auto-unmute your main sound to make sure you wake up.
* Wake Up from Stand-by
* Optional "Wake up enforcement" - If requested, Wake up enforcement will ask you to solve mild to wild mathematical questions or require you to type complex text before it stops the alarm.
* 9 EXTREME Preset Alarm Sounds - Select one of our "sure-to-wake-you-up" extreme alarm clock sounds such as "Wake the dead" or "Referee Whistle".
* Adjustable Alarm Snooze - The snooze button will pause the alarm for a duration of your choice, be it 10 minutes or just 1 minute.
* Use Your CD's
* Use one or many MP3's
* Sleep to Music Timer - Allows you to play music while you start sleeping so it auto shuts-off after a time determined by you.
It can even put your computer in stand-by after playing music.
* MIDI, WAV, WMP Also Supported
* Wake up to Internet Radio
* Set an infinite number of reminder alarms - On top of the wake up alarm, you can easily set specific reminder alarms for birthdays, appointments or daily tasks to perform at a certain time.
* Program Alarms In Real Language - To set a reminder, you can just type "Watch CNN at 8pm" for instance, and the reminder system will understand.
* Quick-Set Countdown Timer - Quickly set a countdown timer for your oven, or reminder to listen to a TV show that starts in 12 minutes.
* Set yearly birthday reminders
* Add your own web links

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-5c1ee223.html

smallhagrid

Great stuff, thanks Folks !!!

Someone there, that is useful to know and I will make a note with this info.

FreeRyde - after all the searching I've done and who knows how many times I never saw that app at all - and it is so cool & now it is even freeware, which makes it better than the one I asked for IMO.

Edit=> Tried it, n/g.

Wake Up News is very cool, but the un-mute doesn't work, so it makes a silent alarm !!!

I guess I still need to try that other one, if anyone has the file for it that I cannot find...?

Thanks !!!

Later still, I emailed the Wake Up News folks and this is their auto-response:

As of September, 2010, after 11 years of Wake up news and 100's of thousands of copies downloaded, we elected not to update Wake up news to 64-bit computer systems. Wake up news is now COMPLETELY FREE. However, it is NOT supported anymore. Please don't email for support or you'll keep getting this auto-responder. If you really need to talk to us, you can use [email protected] but we won't provide support.
To get Wake up news for free, download it and just use this registration code when it asks for registration:
******* Registration Information ********
Name: EnjoyWUN
Serial code: RG7G35W89-Q2M8BJ+HKBGJ
If asked for an email, just type "wakeupnews.com." Enjoy!
Thanks to all those who enjoyed and loved Wake up news since 1999.

So I guess that one is a wash for me.

smallhagrid

Very helpful, I'll try the portable 1st, of course...and:

I use this.

http://freealarmclocksoftware.com/

*A free, full-featured and user-friendly alarm clock

*Plays MP3 music files

*Wakes up your system from a Sleep mode

*Turns on the volume (in case you mute your PC)

*Run it from your portable USB flash drive

Hope you like it. I know I do.

You can try this it is free

3021c75e2e740a0e7914149cef0b9de2c549_1al

Just FYI=> they are both from Comfort s/w, just listed in different places.

Thanks !!

You can try this it is free

Perfect. My digital alarm clock isn't waking me up anymore (not loud enough). You saved me the search.

smallhagrid

Absolutely PERFECT !!!

I use this.

http://freealarmclocksoftware.com/

*A free, full-featured and user-friendly alarm clock

*Plays MP3 music files

*Wakes up your system from a Sleep mode

*Turns on the volume (in case you mute your PC)

*Run it from your portable USB flash drive

Hope you like it. I know I do.

100% portable - best of all.

Un-mutes, wakes up the screen, plays MP3 - exactly what I need.

Thanks Ramjade, problem solved !!!

Archived