How do we... host nsane?

shought

• Administrator

Tell me then which link I have to remove from my hosts file?

Anything infolinks. :rolleyes:

However, if you are on dial-up, then it's fine if you block I think. Pages and ads these days are kinda too heavy for dial up.

Also, there's a reason I haven't mentioned host file method in my tutorial. Reason is, it's sucks. No way to whitelist any site and hogging the whole host file, which ultimately slows down the internet usage and browsing.

• Replies 54
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudrax

• shought

• DKT27

• dcs18

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me then which link I have to remove from my hosts file?

Anything infolinks. :rolleyes:

However, if you are on dial-up, then it's fine if you block I think. Pages and ads these days are kinda too heavy for dial up.

Also, there's a reason I haven't mentioned host file method in my tutorial. Reason is, it's sucks. No way to whitelist any site and hogging the whole host file, which ultimately slows down the internet usage and browsing.

I am a GPRS user :(

• Administrator

What's ads? They should never exist. :P

What's ads? They should never exist. :P

What do you mean?

• Administrator

What do you mean?

It's fine, you are exempted from allowing ads due to your extremely slow connection. :)

What do you mean?

It's fine, you are exempted from allowing ads due to your extremely slow connection. :)

Thanks for the consideration :)

Glad you negotiated for both of us - thank you, rudrax!!! ;)

Welcome Mr. 10 MBPS :P

Have you ever noticed the ads popping up after the page finished loading? This is why.

Interesting.

Does the forums' server follows the same sequence, i.e. ads load in the last?

Yep.
Then why clicking on notification icon before loading the ads redirects me to notification page instead of popping the notification javascript up? Is it because my connection is slow?
Because this is the 'default behavior'. When the scripts haven't loaded yet the Javascript responsible for making the popup isn't available yet so instead IPB falls back to simply moving you to the notifications page.

On another note: it's great to hear the efforts to improve the loading speed of our frontpage are appreciated by those who have slower connections. I myself have a fast connection so the differences were tiny when working on these optimizations. A 50% decrease is peanuts when you're talking about going from 0.5 to 0.25 seconds, but when we're talking about going from 4 to 2 seconds it is much more visible :)

@DKT thanks, I forgot about the image compression ;)

The quality loss is actually 0% by the way.

• Administrator

Because this is the 'default behavior'. When the scripts haven't loaded yet the Javascript responsible for making the popup isn't available yet so instead IPB falls back to simply moving you to the notifications page.

On another note: it's great to hear the efforts to improve the loading speed of our frontpage are appreciated by those who have slower connections. I myself have a fast connection so the differences were tiny when working on these optimizations. A 50% decrease is peanuts when you're talking about going from 0.5 to 0.25 seconds, but when we're talking about going from 4 to 2 seconds it is much more visible :)

@DKT thanks, I forgot about the image compression ;)

The quality loss is actually 0% by the way.

Me thinks IPB is f*cking things up. Somehow, I feel the page waits for the page to load completely before them javascript starts working. In past, I've complained about this problem, where I have felt that when all the scripts have loaded, but the ads haven't, the javascript still doesn't work. How's the condition now, I donno, I don't open them notifications immediately anymore.

Some optimizations made about a year or more ago on forums and FP, plus, changing to better servers, did cut down the page loading in half. Sometimes, pages opening in 2.5s after clicking them is truly unbelievable at times.

:)

In rare images, at the pixel level, I've found it to have about 1% difference in brightness of particular colour(s). This, as I said, happened with very rare images, and not all of them.

Oh men! :( Where do you live? :( :(

19th century :lol:

• 4 months later...

Well written, resourceful and most of all very useful topic.

From my standpoint, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that CloudFlare is a big privacy risk.

By reading CloudFlare ToS, Section 7: Your Contenet and Section 9: Records of Your Visitors,

CloudFlare Privacy & Security Policy: Data Aggregation and Law Enforcement, one can draw similar conclusion.

Now other sources:

CloudFlare's statement on CloudFlare, PRISM, and Securing SSL Ciphers.

From Cloudflare-Watch:

The subpoena served on CloudFlare, requesting all information on a specific domain related to Barrett Brown, raises a huge question about CloudFlare’s internal procedures. As far as I can tell, CloudFlare has made no statements in their terms of service, nor in their privacy and security policy, regarding the issue of access-log retention.

If they have logs of IP addresses that visited the pages on the echelon2.org domain as they were served through CloudFlare, and if the subpoena stands, CloudFlare will have to produce such logs. The wording in the subpoena is very broad. There is no Section 230 “safe harbor” immunity for service providers under the 1996 Communications Decency Act in this case, because Section 230 does not apply to federal criminal law. The case against Barrett Brown is a criminal case.

But there is also no legal requirement in the U.S. to retain such logs. If you have them and they are subpoenaed, then you have to produce them. If you destroy them at that point, this would be suppression of evidence. But if you routinely delete old logs, and no longer have them when the subpoena arrives, then you’ve done nothing wrong.

Does CloudFlare rotate their logs periodically, and delete their old access logs? Since CloudFlare takes pride in allowing their customers to hide behind their proxy, one thing they should have done when they started their service would be to announce a clear access-log retention policy.

This and more about CloudFlare on cloudflare-watch.org

Document: CloudFlare.pdf

Thanks.

Edited by ande

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll be updating this topic later this month to reflect our recent server changes (primarily to keep our server configuration properly documented).

I'll be updating this topic later this month to reflect our recent server changes (primarily to keep our server configuration properly documented).

all i know is i turn the key and it just works...thanks for all the behind the curtains work the staff do here...there is a lot of time and effoirt put in to keep the lights on here and not many times do you get a thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Update:
- upgraded both our servers to get more RAM and CPU cores;
- changed the server configuration to have one dedicated database server and another multipurpose server;
- upgraded to PHP 5.6 (with built-in OPCache);
- upgraded to Percona 5.6 (MySQL replacement with better performance);
- disabled Sphinx because Percona 5.6 (as well as MySQL 5.6) supports fulltext indexes (required for properly searching in the database);

Our new server setup looks like this:

ServerLayout3.png

Article might be upgraded in the future.

Edit: updated to include Memcached.

Sounds great — should shut-up the ones who specialize in witch-hunting (not, in appreciation — and, never in tweaking their browsers . . . . . . for eventualities.)

through the day was perfect for me, just late at night (UK) had problems.

not every site posts upgrades or the back-end stuff, nsane going turbo for a while lol

Boy, I sure hope we run on octa-core CPUs :P . Also, good idea shought for the move to have one dedicated database server.

The Proxy is where the ??? -> magic happens, before someone asks. :lol:

Cool.. thanks a lot, sorry I was such a bitch earlier Shought.. ^_^

:lmao:

Cool.. thanks a lot, sorry I was such a bitch earlier Shought.. ^_^

Shought likes bitches, though :tehe:

P.S. Me too :secret:

Edited by rudrax