how to make the internet not suck (as much) - 0.0.0.0 version

jofre

• Replies 38
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the hosts list grows the there will be a performance impact, instead editing windows hosts file

1 install Acrylic DNS Proxy

2 combine all the lists u need & paste them in Acrylic DNS custom hosts fille

Finally you get both faster resolution & effectively block unwanted ads.

You could provide us combined list.

Fanboy Adblock list

Fanboy Tracking list

Fanboy Annoyances list

EasyList

EasyPrivacy

stylemessiah

Me, i just use squidnt with squidguard and malware and ad blocking lists from various locations that update automatically via scheduled tasks

Plus i also get usage reporting and save a bunch of bandwidth

Messing with the hosts file is so 1990

unknownasphyxiated

As the hosts list grows the there will be a performance impact, instead editing windows hosts file

2 combine all the lists u need & paste them in Acrylic DNS custom hosts fille

You could provide us combined list.

Fanboy Adblock list

Fanboy Tracking list

Fanboy Annoyances list

EasyList

EasyPrivacy

look here

>looks at title

>guides/tuts section

>expected a tut

>nope.jpg

yeah, this needs to be moved

2 configure to use Acrylic DNS

3 combine all the lists u need & paste them in Acrylic DNS custom hosts fille

Can you combine all of those lists for us? I'm quite sure of that you have much more experience of these kind of things than I have, and I don't want to mess up things...lol

MITHI PRASAD

2 configure to use Acrylic DNS

3 combine all the lists u need & paste them in Acrylic DNS custom hosts fille

Can you combine all of those lists for us? I'm quite sure of that you have much more experience of these kind of things than I have, and I don't want to mess up things...lol

I dont have any experience in combining these lists, I dont recomend using multiple lists it will lead more false positives.

Airstream_Bill

NOT YET????I have just installed the Acrylic DNS Proxy program and added the host exclusions. I used the 127.0.0.1 hosts file though not the 0.0.0.0. hosts file. Seems to work really well. Nice little program . Everything you need in the Program Folder it creates. Tools to edit and restart program. I had better check it out a little farther and see what happens.NOT YET???

I must have done something wrong as it is not blocking any of the sites I pasted into its host file. I guess I will have to read info. :angry: :duh: :oops:

I must be to stupid to get Acrylic DNS Proxy program to work. I did everything it said to do but it would not block any sites for me. That is all the time I am spending with it. I will just use the host file and every now and then at the command prompt use (ipconfig /flushdns) command.

I would still like to get this "Ultimate Hosts" file for Acrylic DNS Proxy, I don't care if too large hosts file causes false positives, I thought something like Winapp2.ini what CCleaner uses, so somebody could keep it updated regularly.

NsaneForums users could keep this "Ultimate Hosts" file updated, just a suggestion though....

NOT YET????I have just installed the Acrylic DNS Proxy program and added the host exclusions. I used the 127.0.0.1 hosts file though not the 0.0.0.0. hosts file. Seems to work really well. Nice little program . Everything you need in the Program Folder it creates. Tools to edit and restart program. I had better check it out a little farther and see what happens.NOT YET???

I must have done something wrong as it is not blocking any of the sites I pasted into its host file. I guess I will have to read info. :angry: :duh: :oops:

I must be to stupid to get Acrylic DNS Proxy program to work. I did everything it said to do but it would not block any sites for me. That is all the time I am spending with it. I will just use the host file and every now and then at the command prompt use (ipconfig /flushdns) command.

Yep can't get Acrylics host file to block anything also.

If you didn't know MVPS are integrated in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, plus you can add your own lists, like the one jofre posted.

Use this to manage and combile multiple host lists:

Hostman

hm4.png

• Built-in hosts file updater
  • Enable/Disable hosts file
  • Built-in hosts editor
  • Scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks
  • Hosts file backup manager
  • Local HTTP server (v3.2 only; now available as a separate product)
  • Exclusion list

Or

PeerBlock - good while torrenting

PeerBlock-screenshots-2.png

Airstream_Bill

Use this to manage and combile multiple host lists:

Hostman

hm4.png

• Built-in hosts file updater
  • Enable/Disable hosts file
  • Built-in hosts editor
  • Scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks
  • Hosts file backup manager
  • Local HTTP server (v3.2 only; now available as a separate product)
  • Exclusion list

Or

PeerBlock - good while torrenting

PeerBlock-screenshots-2.png

Thanks I will try this tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Archived