Good Netbook PC (Philippines)?

insanedown58

insanedown58

After using (and fixing) my teacher's netbook, I decided that I need one since the amount of projects and activities that require a portable PC is increasing by the day. Now I have an extremely tight budget falling at only 12,000 (Philippine Peso) or $294.00 (US Dollar). That money is the amount of money that I can make in 2 YEARS. The reason? I don't have a job. I'm a student so I live off by cutting a portion of my money from my everyday allowance. I won't do anything extremely resource intensive and I also won't use any resource intense programs (like Google Chrome).

Do take note that I am in the Philippines so I don't have a wide variety of options.

The option that I only have is one PC Manufacturer: Neo

They have a fairly good reputation in my country and they also are there for tight budgeted users.

The Product Models:

Neo B3325N - Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal

Neo BC2EL-102 - Windows 7 Starter

Neo BC2EW - Windows 7 Starter

Apps that I plan to run:

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus (or Office 2013)

Mozilla Firefox

Windows Movie Maker 2.6

KVirc

Tor Browser Bundle

CCleaner

Mozilla Thunderbird

YTD YouTube Downloader

Dropbox

WinRar

uTorrent

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware PRO

Audacity

Speakonia

Sticky Notes

VLC Media Player (or maybe WMP 12 with K-Lite Codec Pack)

Hitman Pro (non-installed Version)

My AV: Comodo Internet Security

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy, am I glad to see three options - Neo, Neo and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Neo.

Seeing you're tight-fisted in the budget region, I'd convince the Manufacturer to part with a system pre-installed with FreeDOS (no OS - saves you lotsa bucks.)

Since I'm not in a flamboyant mood to google those 3 magnificent wonders of the world - shall reserve comments until my euphoria stems down a lil bit.

NEO is a bad apple in the PC market..

Bad products gone bad...

VLC Media Player might choke on vids >720p bec the processor is an atom

insanedown58

NEO is a bad apple in the PC market..

Bad products gone bad...

VLC Media Player might choke on vids >720p bec the processor is an atom

What brand would you recommend? I have seen a Samsung that goes for 12,500 with the same specs... I won't watch HD vids there because I know it will choke. I would keep the intense stuff for my Home Theater desktop. Also, there are a lot of netbooks in our country that runs an Atom so I am in a tight space. So other than the processor, what's so bad about Neo anyways?

Kumsta na. Don't discount looking for a reasonable used machine Pawn shops and repair facilities oft times have good values on a 'hit or miss" basis. Put up some postings around campus. Look on Craigslist (PI). Be creative and open and you'll probably find a bargain. Good Luck.

• Administrator

From what I know, netbooks don't have a big future. So think few times before investing in them.

Airstream_Bill

I think you are right Pole Star, all the manufactures are discontinuing the manufacturing Netbooks. I do not think anyone is making them as of this year. Hope you are able to find a good deal. Fingers crossed here. Good Luck.

• Administrator

I think you are right Pole Star, all the manufactures are discontinuing the manufacturing Netbooks. I do not think anyone is making them as of this year. Hope you are able to find a good deal. Fingers crossed here. Good Luck.

Exactly. From what I remember, even Samsung themselves, who were one of the last two makers of them, have stopped manufacturing them.

Archived