Windows 8 Pro price slashed

anuseems

The Windows 8 Pro upgrade price has inexplicably been slashed on Microsoft's online store.

An upgrade from a previous version of Windows to Windows 8 Pro had previously cost £190 inc VAT, but is now being advertised for £45.

Oddly, that means it's cheaper than the standard Windows 8, which is £99, and also cheaper than an upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro, which remains at £99.

Windows 8 Pro had previously been available for an introductory discount price, but that ended 31 January.

The original prices remain on the US store, with Windows 8 at $120 and Windows 8 Pro at $200.

Even more curiously, and as first spotted by PC Pro reader Ip_stephenmollfb in the comments below, Microsoft is allowing users to upgrade from beta versions of Windows 8. The small print on the site reads: "To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview."

We checked with Microsoft's online sales support, and it confirmed that users of the free beta versions would qualify for the £45 upgrade, as you can see below:

Anyone planning to take advantage of an upgrade from Windows 8 Consumer Preview or Release Preview should bear in mind that all applications and data installed in the beta versions will be wiped during the upgrade process, making it effectively a clean install.

We've asked Microsoft for an explanation for the price cut, but have yet to hear back with a response.

@ http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/380347/windows-8-pro-price-slashed-to-45

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too funny! :lmao: Yet another of those "loopholes" (some might say convenient mistakes :P ) that have been so abundant with Win8 - starting with the $15 'upgrade' licenses being given away to anybody and everybody who was interested and random KMS activated Win8 Pro copies getting free upgrades to WMC. B) :rolleyes:

Bought my Windows 8 Pro for R138 ($14.99) about 2 weeks ago :D

Even when some things are given away, or at greatly reduced prices, still no one wants them. It shows some desperation of a vendor that has not taken enough time to see what the buyer wants or was expecting.

Arrogance always makes bad decisions.

i never used any of the upgrade keys that expired on Jan 31st lol

this is interesting and even more if it stay that way..

Whether the prices reduce or increase, we are lucky here; to be able to procure Windows 8 for free - especially the Pros. who conduct about a couple of new installation reformat, every week. :showoff:

Whether the prices reduce or increase, we are lucky here; to be able to procure Windows 8 for free - especially the Pros. who conduct about a couple of new installation reformat, every week. :showoff:

last week I formatted my pc twice :P :P

purchased for 16 euro with coupon but it was for nothing cause I will downgrade to windows 7 soon. Windows 8 makes to many problems, contents a lot of bugs and I don't like these Metro called stuff all around in windows. Start-button was missing, gadget support and much more. To add these windows 7 features back in takes lot of time and finally sometimes the gadgets do not load and system start takes longer and longer. For me it looks like in front something like Android with the Metro apps and this is all around mixed with traditional old known windows gui.

Have 2 free (official) licenses for W8 since launch, never bothered to activate even one of those two.

Archived